mtbr member
    Feb 2006

My transition preston story...

Hey all i'd like to share with you my little tale of sorrow turned to joy!

In early april this year I ordered a grey medium preston frame form the [ex] UK distributor of transition. I paid in full there and then. April came and went and by May I was concerned that something was up. I was right - he'd gone bust. Bancruptcy with no assets. I was very very low. I'd just lost a heap of money and more importantly, no bike! I contacted Transition US and talked to Kyle, he had just heard about the situation too and suggested that go down the route of chasing the insolvency people in the UK for some cash. My solicitor contacted them and they basically said it was hopeless. So it was back onto Kyle to see if he could help me out. It must be said - Kyle and the guys at transition are total legends! - even tho they could've rightly told me where to go, they didnt... they agreed to give me a frame for cost. I was like a 12 year old on christmas morning - completely hyper!!! Four (very) long months later I now finally have in my posession a beautiful preston frame... LONG LIVE TRANSITION BIKES! They really, genuinely, do put the customer first. They are a quality company selling quality frames. I know for sure who my next bike purchase will be with. Thank you very very much Kyle and all the crew.

Pics to follow once its built up.

Paul

mtbr member
    im glad everyhting worked out.

cant wait for pics.

KOKOPELLI RACING
    that's typical of transition. they are quality guys. i have a dirt bag and a trail or park and love them. i can't say enough about these guys....
    kokopelli racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

More Transition Props

Quote Originally Posted by doubledecadefirehydrant
    that's typical of transition. they are quality guys. i have a dirt bag and a trail or park and love them. i can't say enough about these guys....
    I just recently purchased a used Preston with the Romic. The bad news is that the Romic is shot and needs service. I contacted Romic several times without luck so I shot an email to Transition. Kevin emails me back, a day or two later, and states that even they have had problems contacting Romic so he offered me a new Swinger 4way for cheap.
    Good customer service is a rare thing nowadays and its nice to deal with a company that genuinely cares about their customers, especially a company that makes sweet bikes!
    I'm saving up for a Bottlerocket or a Dirtbag now...

The Mountain Bike Life
    Yeah, the CS is why I went with them too...great guys. I am waiting to see what the new 5.5" bike is going to be.

Geritol Power

Me Too

I agree. The Transition boys are stand up guys. All people should be as responsible in their lives like these guys act as a business.

Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow. That used bike story is immpressive.

I just bought a BR after looking at a Preston for like two years w/o a decision.

Customer Service is sooo important when deciding on what to get. Lifetime warranty is the word @ Transition. And the fact that thye are so cool about it is even better.

I actually broke a Bullit and SCB got me a new rear and then offered a new front @ same price. So, I got a brand new frame for super short dollars. That was good. But, Transition is raising the bar in CS and designs.
    All about the ride

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy
    I am waiting to see what the new 5.5" bike is going to be.
    Me too! Must...have...pics! I need a new all-mountain frame, and I see Transition in my future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sorry to drag this up from the grave! .... but finally - pics:

current spec:
    - 06 preston fr medium slate grey
    - 06 marzocchi 66SL
    - 03 fox vanilla R with 950lb spring
    - XT BB, crankset, cassette, derrailleurs
    - SRAM PC69 chain
    - DMR V8 pedals
    - Easton EA70 monkeybar
    - Raceface lock-on grips
    - Raceface chainstay protector
    - Raceface bashguard
    - Sram rocket shifters with Flying snake cables
    - Saint hydraulics (203 front / 160 rear)
    - Mavic xm819's - Hope Pro II front, XT rear
    - Maxxis High Roller UST 2.3 super tackys
    - Thomson seatpost and stem
    - King Headset
    - Titec Ithys Gove seat
    think thats it

Total weight is pretty much bang on 15kg (33lbs) - which i'm VERY happy with.

Paul
    Last edited by llatsni; 12-08-2006 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Air shock on Preston?

Nice build on your Preston...and very impressive weight! How do you like the Fox air shock on this bike? Anyone else riding the Preston with an air shock? Push has 2006 RP3's on closeout for $250 and I was thinking about getting one. I currently have the Springer coil 4-way. I wanted to get a lighter shock and wheelset ( I have Outlaws on the bike now) so I could have a heavy duty setup and lighter weight trail setup to choose from.

Geritol Power
    look again Crispy

- 03 fox vanilla R with 950lb spring

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    @Crispy: I'm currently on the vanilla, but i have a float-r that i use alot too - its great actually - i'm just afraid of popping it as i have to run it at 175psi to avoid bottoming out even on fairly tame drops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If you don't mind me asking llatsni, what is your height and weight? I can tell you are a larger fella, as am I, currently ~250, 6 even.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    185lbs geared up 5'11"
    so no clyde - but not a fairy either

mtbr member
    Your ride is looking awesome.