Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    daemon- I have not riden the ST yet, but do have the LT and it rides awesome. I do have on order a ST and am building it quite burly. I have spoke with Richard and he tells me Gerritt has an ST and is built burly also and he says he can ride it over alomost anyhting and pedal up anything too. If you get the 07 model they have 5.2" of travel and the 08 model will have 5.5" of travel. I am getting the 08 model and am matching it with a Marzocchi 66SL. I would highly recommend either model. You wont be disapponited with a Morewood Bike. Talk to Richard at Morewood USA. 1 888 MTB-More

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

MoreWood

Quote Originally Posted by _daemon_
    Currently riding a Giant Trance 1 and thinking of getting a 2nd bike for more rougher AM/Free ride. I love Morewoods(I am from South Africa...so a little bias), never ridden one thought. How much can the Shova ST handle? Will it be out of it's depth at Whistler and the Shore? Or is it comparable to something like the Transition Bottle Rocket that's quite at home at Whistler. The Morewood Shova LT looks like a great bike....but with 7" it looks like a little of a overkill for me, that said is the upgrade from a 4.2" travel in the back on the Trance to a 5.5" in the back on the morewood worth it? Aye...too many choices...

Dude,

MoreWood Shova is a great bike. I am Riding mine for 9 month now and loving every minute of it. I ride pretty aggresive, and the bike handles it all.

However.... If your plan for the Morewood ST is aggresive trail riding I would suggest upgrading the stock RP23 to RP23 AVA (not DHX air, which works less good on the frame).

Consider buying the Mbuzi, Morewood's new agressive frame. It will work better for your needs than the Shova,for super aggresive riding.

Ran

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    i like the white.

not to hijack the thread, just showin the love...

here's my 2006 built up:

32.4 pounds.... feels 5 pounds lighter
    Hey a. nony Moose, what shock you running on that bike there? Just ordered the 08 st frame, and i think its coming over with a rp23 shock.

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinsphoto
    Hey a. nony Moose, what shock you running on that bike there? Just ordered the 08 st frame, and i think its coming over with a rp23 shock.
    it's pictured with a Fox DHX Air 5.0...
    I have an RP23 for it as well but i'm currently running a Marzocchi Roco coil on it for the colder Winter months to avoid possible 'stuck-down' issues with the air shocks..
    the coil shock feels fantastic.. i might leave it on there and suck up the weight penalty when the weather warms.. we'll see.
    I keep telling myself i want to get a new bike for the 2008 season, then i ride the Shova and it reminds me how good it truly is. I'd hate to risk losing that performance...although the Mbuzi looks fun

E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just built up my 08 Shova ST and it is awesome. I am running a Roco R and it seems to work okay. This is my first air shock and i am kinda partial to Marzocchi. I may try something else latter on. I will have pictures up shortly. The bike weighs in at 13.6kg(30lbs.)
    Best Regards,
    Eric C.
    Morewood Bikes USA, 661, SDG, Sunline, SPY Optics, TLD

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey E86
    Any pics yet of your new build-up?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

08 Morewood Shova St

Finally got my new morewood shova st built up this week . Haven't had a chance to take it out yet but heres a pic of the new bike.
    Its more of an ivory colour than white!
    Bomber 55 ata 120-160mm
    Fox RP 23 rear
    Xt everywhere bar Front Derailer (LX)
    Hope Hoops on DT 5.1
    Intense System 4 Tires
    Bike weighs in just over the 30lb mark!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eating Hot Pockets
    looks great! you're gonna love it

mtbr member
    Hmmm, glad I found this thread

I am considering a Shova ST, but first let me set up my situation.

I am a one bike guy, so I need the "do it all type" set up. I am probably considered somewhat of a clydesdale-ish type rider, 6 foot, 215+ pounds. Not quite in the best shape, I am a masher as I lack that smooth pedaling ability (and strength) and I certainly lack grace. My riding style does not include much airtime, though I am working on it. I am not exactly a "delicate" rider, I tend to get a good head of speed on downhills and hit my fair share of trees. And I like technical twisty rocky rooty trails. And rollers.

So, I went from a Heckler, which I liked, but the bottom bracket was too low, to a VPFree because it was a really good deal and I wanted to see what a season on that beast would be like. Yeah, it was fun, the bike soaked up everything. But realistically, the vpfree is too much bike for me and the type of riding i like to do.

Here is my situation. I really enjoyed the VPP suspension, and I am thinking I would like to stay with it (or something similar). On the other hand, I really like the simplicity of single pivots (I am not exactly much on maintaining my bike) and if I could build something up light enough.... and cost of course. Shova < Nomad

Ya see, I just don't know. I guess what I am asking is this:

1) How do these things pedal for bigger fellas like me?
    2) Bottom bracket height? All I found was "+0mm" and I am not sure what that means.
    3) I am 6 foot with a 32 inch inseam - am I a size large? I can't seem to find any size guides out there....

Thanks for any guidance. I am really confused as what to do.
    Crankfire.com / New Englandish Mountain Biking Community

Eating Hot Pockets
    3) I'm 6', 185# with like a 32-34" inseam if i go by my jeans... haven't had anyone measure my inseam lately and I ride a medium.. it's not all stretched out like an XC bike but it doesn't feel cramped to me and i've done everything from multi-day epics out West to Super D races at Mt. Snow and all the local CT trails... it's a blast to ride.

2) i owned a Heckler a while back and always hated how low the bb felt. this doesn't give me the same feeling as that. while not as tall as my Bullit, the lower bb translates into SO much better cornering and feel. i'm not smacking my pedals thru the rocks as much as a VPP bike. the "+0" you see listed on the site means the bb center is even with the axle height, which can vary depending on what tires you choose... so it's listed as the 'bb drop' which happens to be zero... it's a smarter way of listing bb height since they don't know what tires you run.

1) the bike pedals amazingly well. I've run it with the DHX Air, a Marzocchi coil and also an RP23 and they all perform very well without excessive bobbing.

i'm in Manchester CT and you're welcome to give mine a spin if you feel the need..
    i'd even consider selling it so i can get a new one!!

mtbr member
    3) I'm 6', 185# with like a 32-34" inseam if i go by my jeans... haven't had anyone measure my inseam lately and I ride a medium.. it's not all stretched out like an XC bike but it doesn't feel cramped to me and i've done everything from multi-day epics out West to Super D races at Mt. Snow and all the local CT trails... it's a blast to ride.

2) i owned a Heckler a while back and always hated how low the bb felt. this doesn't give me the same feeling as that. while not as tall as my Bullit, the lower bb translates into SO much better cornering and feel. i'm not smacking my pedals thru the rocks as much as a VPP bike. the "+0" you see listed on the site means the bb center is even with the axle height, which can vary depending on what tires you choose... so it's listed as the 'bb drop' which happens to be zero... it's a smarter way of listing bb height since they don't know what tires you run.

1) the bike pedals amazingly well. I've run it with the DHX Air, a Marzocchi coil and also an RP23 and they all perform very well without excessive bobbing.

i'm in Manchester CT and you're welcome to give mine a spin if you feel the need..
    Thanks for your input, it is very much appreciated. Sounds weird, but I am glad to hear its nothing like your heckler I really don't want a heckler clone (I am not bad-mouthing them, i did like that bike).

A medium though? That is surprising - I am on a medium vpfree right now and it is borderline too small.... I have to jack the seatpost up way high if I want an "efficient" pedaling feel.

Thanks again!
    Crankfire.com / New Englandish Mountain Biking Community

mtbr member
    I'm in Manchester CT and you're welcome to give mine a spin if you feel the need..
    Why did I have a feeling that this would be coming at the end of your post when I started to read it from the beginning.

E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here is a picture of my 08 Shova ST. This bike is awesome . I have a Shova LT and a Rocky Mountain Flow. The 08 is my favorite though. Morewood Bikes are well worth it. I think mtbr.com needs to add a section for the Morewood Bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best Regards,
    Eric C.
    Morewood Bikes USA, 661, SDG, Sunline, SPY Optics, TLD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by E86
    I think mtbr.com needs to add a section for the Morewood Bikes.
    I agree. A Morewood forum would get more activity than some of the existing ones. I just picked up an '07 Shova LT that is almost finished. Can't wait!

toby

Eating Hot Pockets
    here's my Shova ST again, updated for slalom racing this season:

Pike Air
    fancy RP23
    King
    LG1
    Saints (replaced with Gravity Lights)
    might go with different bars and brakes, but u get the idear:

HUGE thanks to Richard @ Morewood and John @ Precision Powdercoating (this color GLOWS in the sunshine)

SEE YA ON THE HILL!

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Someone elses beast:

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nice bikes! More please!

toby

bullitridden
    Jan 2007

08 Shova LT

[QUOTE=in the trees;4500989]Nice bikes! More please!

toby[/QU

HARD to find parts for...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Morewood shova ST 2007-riders-final.jpg  

bullitridden
    Jan 2007
    Anyone know where to find hardware for this frame? believe it to be 30mm & 52mm lengths (12.7mm dia.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2