mtbr member
    Jan 2009

How do I remove the bearing on my orange 223?

do I whack them out with a hammer? I dont want to mess up my swingarm

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

No factory support from Orange...

No answers for ya, but maybe a couple suggestions...
    I own and still ride an '02 Patriot. I'm not sure, but I think the bearings and swingarm attach in the same manner... On my Patriot, the bearings are pressed onto a couple of posts welded onto the main frame, and this is done after the swingarm is in place. Since there is no pivot axle that can be removed, the bearings must be removed before the swingarm can be freed. I tried to remove mine once, with no luck. My shop guy said on other Orange bikes he worked on, he was able to push the bearings off, after removing end caps and pinch bolts, with a large flat-blade screwdriver pushing the bearings from the inside. On mine, they were pressed on too tight and we could not get them to budge, so I just left them alone and continued to ride it... There wasn't really any sort of bearing puller or tool that could get a grip on it- it was suggested to me that I might have better luck prying them loose if I used a can of Freon to spray on the frame post (to cool it) while a soldering gun was applied to the bearing to heat it, but I have not tested that theory...
    Unfortunately, shortly after I bought my frame, the North American distributor who supplied them shut down, and there was no support to be had from the factory, so the only option I was left with was "ride it until it dies and never again buy from a company that doesn't care enough to stand behind their product"...
    So- It hasn't died yet... maybe this year!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    right off the orange website. worked like a charm

Q

How do I replace my bearings on my Orange suspension bike?
    A

Looks complicated but its really quite simple. Firstly, youíll need a 3mm and 5mm allen key, and a rubber mallet. (If you donít have a rubber mallet then use wood, but make sure you put some cloth over it so you donít damage the paint).

Note: this method is for Horiz-Hold welded pivot.

1. 1. Remove the two dust caps with the 3mm allen key so the bearings are exposed.
    2. 2. Loosen the 2 bearing clamp bolts that clamp up the bearings with the 5mm allen key.
    3. 3. Using the rubber mallet, tap the drive side of the swingarm away from you. (Make sure you tap the weld so you donít dent the frame).
    4. 4. Clamp up the pinch bolt on the drive side. Now go round to the non-drive side. With some force, using the rubber mallet again, tap (on the weld) the swingarm, away from you.
    5. 5. This will move the bearing off the pivot pin. Now slacken the pinch bolt and repeat the process until the bearing is completely off. Do the same for the opposite side.
    6. 6. To fit the new bearings, apply copperslip grease to the internal bearing surface. Centre the bearing with the pivot pin and tap it on.
    7. 7. Centre the swingarm on the pivot pin and torque up the bearing clamp bolts (16NM) and the dust caps (5NM).
    8. 8. Done

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Interesting! Thanks for the info- I'll have to give it a try. The reason I was trying to remove mine was not due to any problems with the bearings, it was an attempt to remove the swingarm, which was showing signs of stress. On the underside of the swingarm, where the longest straight section meets the next welded piece, the weld is, well, not quite cracked, but there's a bit of a "wrinkle" (faint stress lines in the powdercoat.). However, this was discovered at a time when there was no support to be had in the U.S. for these frames, and now it's too old, no replacements available is what I'm told. So, the heavy DH parts were removed, and the bike was "retired" to duty as a somewhat porky all-mtn rig, and hasn't broken yet.... Still, can't say I have any kind of warm fuzzy feelings for Orange bikes and their "customer service".... Any luck with your search for bearings? It may be time to replace mine....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FA-Q
    Interesting! Thanks for the info- I'll have to give it a try. The reason I was trying to remove mine was not due to any problems with the bearings, it was an attempt to remove the swingarm, which was showing signs of stress. On the underside of the swingarm, where the longest straight section meets the next welded piece, the weld is, well, not quite cracked, but there's a bit of a "wrinkle" (faint stress lines in the powdercoat.). However, this was discovered at a time when there was no support to be had in the U.S. for these frames, and now it's too old, no replacements available is what I'm told. So, the heavy DH parts were removed, and the bike was "retired" to duty as a somewhat porky all-mtn rig, and hasn't broken yet.... Still, can't say I have any kind of warm fuzzy feelings for Orange bikes and their "customer service".... Any luck with your search for bearings? It may be time to replace mine....
    yea take the shitty ones out that come with the orange. call these guys and read the number on the back. high quality sealed bearings shipped to yo house for $19. http://www.bocabearings.com/

I took my swingarm off to powdercoat the thing. it will look so good when its done I will probly *** myself lol