sixsixtysix

Dirtbag Front Derailluer Clearance

I have a 05 Dirtbag which I broke the rear swingarm and just got a 06 replacement swingarm from Transition. While having the bike apart I decided to add a Sram Xgen front derailluer but am having problems getting clearance between the Sram derailluer and swingarm when going through all 7" of travel. I was wondering if on any of yours if the clearance was achieved by pushing the derailluer far enough out to the side so the swingarm passes by it on the inside, or if the derailluer is set up high enough for the swingarm not to hit it. If the later is true, what size granny ring are you running? With a 22T chainring it seems that with the derailluer set high, the chain drags on the derailluer cage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If any of you could take a few pictures it would be even better. Thanks

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    With a 22T chainring it seems that with the derailluer set high, the chain drags on the derailluer cage.
    While I don't have a Dirtbag, I have seen this issue mentioned and witnessed it on my own bikes. One question, does the chain rub when you sit on the bike?? Sag should help adjust for the rub. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Although the Transition web site says the Dirtbag is compatible with a front derailleur, it's less than ideal. If you play around with it, you can position it so it works fairly well. I was told that the new frames will have more clearance on the chainstay to help resolve this.

Good Luck

sixsixtysix
    Actually on the 06 swingarm they sent me, there is a notch already in the arm to perfectly clear a Xgen front derailluer. I was having problems because of the spacing on my Diabolus crank, now i have that problem solved, but by doing so, it threw my chainline to ass, and now i am dealing with shifting issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    my 06 bag looks like it lines up perfect. i lowered the derailure down so its over the swingarm pivot, but just above the bolt. its about 1/4" higher than i would like but i plan to get a larger than 32 front ring....sadly i haven't ridden yet cause my marz. 66sl was blown from the factory...should be back this week!! the fork is so plush...even with blown seals

Members who have read this thread: 0