mtbr member
    Nov 2005

dirtbag for fr and racing?

i've been plotting the birth of a new full suspension bike for myself for quite a while now. originally i was thinking straight up freeride bike, but now i'm getting interested into racing too, i'm gonna try and hit up the snowshoe series and a few others this summer. i was orignally thinking of building as follows:

transition dirtbag
    marzocchi 66 RC2X
    mavic dee max wheelset
    diabolus cranks, stem, and bars
    avid juicy 5 brakes
    chris king headset
    sram x.9 drivetrain

this was originally intended to be a freeride bike but how would it be for racing too? it's not like i'm gonna be racing pro or anything but is there anything that just stands out as a big issue for a race bike? is there anything i should change to make it more universal for both? all i have so far are the wheels (which i got brand new from the shop i work at for $190 yesterday) so those are staying but anything else is still open to change. i definately ride more fr than dh and this is my dream freeride bike, how would it faire on the race course?

so how do you think the dirtbag would fair on the race course?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    gran mal??? :P

Formerly DMR For Life
    is there a reason for the J5's instead of going to the J7's?

other than that looks like it will be a sweet ride
    good luck in your racing endeavors

DMR

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    that's a good point. i can get the j5's cheep, i'll have to look into the 7's and see how much i can get em for. what's the big difference between the two? i'm new to the world of hydros.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    that's a good point. i can get the j5's cheep, i'll have to look into the 7's and see how much i can get em for. what's the big difference between the two? i'm new to the world of hydros.
    IIRC Pad contact adjustment and spilt clamp....not huge things but if you can get a deal on them then it might be worth it to you

For what its worth there have been more reported problems with the J7's vs. the J5....there are solutions to the J7 problems that do occur (do a search in the brake forum)

DMR