pure metal
    Dec 2008

Custom Steel Hardtail and Components

Hey everyone, this is my first visit on this forum. I am trying to find a builder who would help me creating following:
    Steel freeride hardtail, clear coatet, travel: 5 to 6 inch travel.
    Need to be beefy. I am 5.6, 133pounds. Pretty aggressive riding style. Went through to many alu frames.
    Gussets at critical areas, rohloff hub setup.
    Stem, handlebar and seatpost should be out of steel and clear coated as well. Is it possible? And if: why the hell not?
    I'm from Switzerland and over here almost everybody is into carbon, ti and alu. Seems hard to find information about steel components. So far my research results:

Peacock Groove: Sick details, looks like he could build anything!

MT Metalworks, BC: Builds frames for Chromag and Spot. Looks like its build to handle abuse!

Thick Bikes: frames, seatposts and handlebars . . . holy ****! bombproof?

Nemesis Projekt: Don't know much, its a blog and he is selling some cool looking handlebars on ebay!?

Engin Cycles: found them today, frames, seatposts and stems. Beautiful, don't know if he would do a more hardcore hardtail.

Anyway, please let me know what you think about this project or if you have more info.

Thanx, Tom

local trails rider
    Take a look at 2soulscycles in Germany. Their stock frame may be too big for you but they do custom jobs too.

Oh, also Curtis in UK.

pure metal
    Dec 2008
    Hey Perttime, have looked at 2soulscycles before, just didn't know they do customs!
    I just send email to them, will see what they say!
    Thanx for that, Tom

local trails rider
    2soulscycles email response was not very fast when I was buying my frame. I think they had some accident during a riding trip.

The stock frame works great for me at 176cm and I think it is adaptable for a wide range of rider sizes.

I used to have a photo of a Rohloff equipped 2soulscycles as my PC background image. Here's a smaller version from my mtbr gallery:

pure metal
    Dec 2008
    Wow, thats a pretty cool looking ride!
    Ingo from 2soulscycles already got back to me. They seem keen about the projekt. He knows a guy in germany that makes steel stems, handlebars arent a problem either.
    He kinda likes the idea of the seatpost but has to do some research on it!
    So far it seems that i have already found a super cool builder, that happend quicker as I thought! Thanx man! Cheers Tom

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    A Dekerf Implant would rank near the top in the freeride hardtail category. He is Canadian but has a solid European customer base. He is flexible on custom options. Expensive though. www.dekerf.com

pure metal
    Dec 2008
    Hey liem,
    Yeap, I agree with you! I used to live in Vancouver for a while. Went riding with some of the guys. Cool company!

I think I will contact a few different builders. To me this "one" should be like my most important tattoo I have got. I had to search for a while to find a artist which understood me!

I also contacted Erik from Peacock Groove about creating "her".

Groovy Cycleworks does custom stems and handlebars. Will get with them in touch about a shorter freeride stem, handlebars look wicked!

Cheers, Tom