mtbr member
    May 2006

Custom bicycle frames?

I want to get a custom bicycle frame, I was wondering about some possible suggestions. Does anyone know about peyto cycles or delsalvo or is there any other possible suggestions?

Combat Wombat
    A local guy has a 29er rigid Desalvo and its one pretty bike. What is your price range?

Brian

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My budget is around 1500 for a frame. I was looking at delsalvo's website for Custom Bicycles. I didn't know delsalvo did 29ers. Humm sounds interesting tho.

Builders and custom frames at that price point are around but you'll have to shop carefully. Why do you need a custom frame? I know it's enticing but what about the stock frames you've used are you trying to achieve with the custom? The list of potential builders is much longer than the two builders you mentioned....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mainly I am looking for modified geometry. I like steep head angles (74) and short chainstays (15.2") with a light weight tubset. The bike is for street and freeride.

Just checking, since you didn't offer much in the way of criteria. I've seen some call a custom bike one they order components for, you seem to have a very good idea of what you want. Unfortunately for urban/freeride I really have no suggestions for you as I don't really follow that stuff...try the appropriate forums for ideas, though. Offhand I'd check with Sycip, Jones, Curtlo, Acme, Strong?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Combat Wombat

I do not think he made very many before.

Quote Originally Posted by biketrials316
    My budget is around 1500 for a frame. I was looking at delsalvo's website for Custom Bicycles. I didn't know delsalvo did 29ers. Humm sounds interesting tho.
    After it was built, he asked if he could keep it for awhile to show at Interbike.

Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ted Wojcik

I want to get a custom bicycle frame, I was wondering about some possible suggestions. Does anyone know about peyto cycles or delsalvo or is there any other possible suggestions?

This guy is supposed to be real good to work with. Way inside your range too.
    I've seen a few on the trials lately including a 29er that looked real nice.

http://www.tedwojcikbicycles.com/

mtbr member
    Mainly I am looking for modified geometry. I like steep head angles (74) and short chainstays (15.2") with a light weight tubset. The bike is for street and freeride.

What size wheels are you planning on useing ?

You should look into custom builders who build bikes similer to what your looking for .
    Wile Desalvo and Wojick make great road and XC MTB's they dont have much exsperince making street bikes , Peyto has made some great looking bikes that might be a place to start .

If they cant help you I could possibly find time to do another custom project
    Email me at Brad@nemesisproject.com
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member

Hey,
    I'm the one, look @ this.
    P/M me.
    Rick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthewelder
    Hey,
    I'm the one, look @ this.
    P/M me.
    Rick.

Rick his concern is custom geomerty , I know you weld production frames for intense ( and do an amazing job ) .. but do you have an ajustable jig ??

We do and it makes this type of custom frame work much easier than trying to use a standard production fixture .

Just an observation on my part
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    Rick his concern is custom geomerty , I know you weld production frames for intense ( and do an amazing job ) .. but do you have an ajustable jig ??

We do and it makes this type of custom frame work much easier than trying to use a standard production fixture .

Just an observation on my part
    As of a matter of fact,( I never got your name so I guess I'll call you evil ? ), Evil, I do.
    I was a Master Jig and Fixture builder in the Aerospace Industry for 25 years before I got into the Bicycle Industry.
    It indexes on the droputs, the bottom bracket, and the headtube. Then , I just fill in the dots. It ain't rocket science, ya know.
    How does your's work ?
    Now, dual suspension, thats a little tricky. Do you do dual suspension ? I do.
    And I don't just weld production frames @ Intense, Unless you call the SOCOM a production frame, or the Spider 29'er, or the Spider FRO, Jeff designs them, and I fixture them.
    I bet I've forgot more about jigs and fixtures than you know.
    I'll guess you don't know a sine bar from a sign that says bar.
    Oh yea, aluminum melts @ 1200, not 1000. And what temp does the oxide layer melt at ?
    You can google that.
    Now I'm rollin' my eyes.
    Peace.
    RTW.

mtbr member
    As of a matter of fact,( I never got your name so I guess I'll call you evil ? ), Evil, I do.
    I was a Master Jig and Fixture builder in the Aerospace Industry for 25 years before I got into the Bicycle Industry.
    It indexes on the droputs, the bottom bracket, and the headtube. Then , I just fill in the dots. It ain't rocket science, ya know.
    How does your's work ?
    Now, dual suspension, thats a little tricky. Do you do dual suspension ? I do.
    And I don't just weld production frames @ Intense, Unless you call the SOCOM a production frame, or the Spider 29'er, or the Spider FRO, Jeff designs them, and I fixture them.
    I bet I've forgot more about jigs and fixtures than you know.
    I'll guess you don't know a sine bar from a sign that says bar.
    Oh yea, aluminum melts @ 1200, not 1000. And what temp does the oxide layer melt at ?
    You can google that.
    Now I'm rollin' my eyes.
    Peace.
    RTW.

Rick
    My name is Brad ( available in profile .. evil4bc is just my email address )

This wasen't an attack of any sort more a question ?
    Your skill as a welder and bike builder for intense is been displayed very clearly here .
    This really wasen't the question , I know you have years of experience that I will never have the opportunity to gain , I have also respected you in every way on this board .

My question was more toward you now doing "custom" work .
    Jeff design great bikes , you have awesome welds from what I have seen .
    Your camo bike leaves a bit to be desired ,but a cool use of intense production parts !

What the original posted had asked for was a bike with custom geometry , so now your building custom bikes for people or is Intense ?
    Possibly this might have been a bit more to the point ?

I use an Arctos jig made from custom anodized Bosch extrusion , pretty basic but very easy for making accurate hardtails . It has adjustment for axle to crown , HA , SA, real axle drop and a few others as well as tube length . This and it's Argon purged so for building " custom " or prototype steel hardtails it works very well . These are the type of bikes I build .. simple.

The set up you have sounds amazing Dude I wasen't trying to insult you or your welding experience in any way , just seemed kinda weird that after you posting one frame made from recycled production parts your stepping into the ring with the likes of Ted Wojick ,Peytro and Mike Desalvo ... I DO NOT consider myself in the same league as the frame building masters .
    I have built some pretty cool prototypes for some major companies and consulted / designed production lines for 3 separate bike companies . These included duel suspension design too .
    My design experience comes from the BMX world working on 20" to start , then moving on to " urban " or jumping hardtails ( since in 1998 ) .

I have built quite a few "custom" prototypes for other bike companies all steel .
    The original posted was asking for a hardtail with bmx type angles and a rear end that will only fit a 26" wheel if the seattube angle is 71 or steeper ( do the math ) .. a 15.2 rear end just wont fit a 26 X 2.35 or bigger .. this is the stuff I deal with every day .

I'm no rock star but I have been making my living building and designing these types of bikes for the past 8+ years
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Rick
    My name is Brad ( available in profile .. evil4bc is just my email address )

This wasen't an attack of any sort more a question ?
    Your skill as a welder and bike builder for intense is been displayed very clearly here .
    This really wasen't the question , I know you have years of experience that I will never have the opportunity to gain , I have also respected you in every way on this board .

My question was more toward you now doing "custom" work .
    Jeff design great bikes , you have awesome welds from what I have seen .
    Your camo bike leaves a bit to be desired ,but a cool use of intense production parts !

What the original posted had asked for was a bike with custom geometry , so now your building custom bikes for people or is Intense ?
    Possibly this might have been a bit more to the point ?

I use an Arctos jig made from custom anodized Bosch extrusion , pretty basic but very easy for making accurate hardtails . It has adjustment for axle to crown , HA , SA, real axle drop and a few others as well as tube length . This and it's Argon purged so for building " custom " or prototype steel hardtails it works very well . These are the type of bikes I build .. simple.

The set up you have sounds amazing Dude I wasen't trying to insult you or your welding experience in any way , just seemed kinda weird that after you posting one frame made from recycled production parts your stepping into the ring with the likes of Ted Wojick ,Peytro and Mike Desalvo ... I DO NOT consider myself in the same league as the frame building masters .
    I have built some pretty cool prototypes for some major companies and consulted / designed production lines for 3 separate bike companies . These included duel suspension design too .
    My design experience comes from the BMX world working on 20" to start , then moving on to " urban " or jumping hardtails ( since in 1998 ) .

I have built quite a few "custom" prototypes for other bike companies all steel .
    The original posted was asking for a hardtail with bmx type angles and a rear end that will only fit a 26" wheel if the seattube angle is 71 or steeper ( do the math ) .. a 15.2 rear end just wont fit a 26 X 2.35 or bigger .. this is the stuff I deal with every day .

I'm no rock star but I have been making my living building and designing these types of bikes for the past 8+ years

Brad,
    I was going to let this go, but not yet. 1st, who are you to question anyone who wants to do custom work ? Do new builders have to go through you to be considered custom caliber ?
    And, I don't usually do this, but I've seen some of your Nemesis bikes, the frames look cookie-cutter, and the welds are sloppy. I can only imagine how your steel looks. Aluminum is easy. Steel takes real skill. I was back-purging Titanium when you we're still sh!tting your pants. If you want to see some of mine, I could post them, just remember to think hard about that before you do, cuz then comparisons will be made. I don't believe you should go there.
    I have 4 welding certifications, enough to take 1 more class and I'd be a CWI, so I'm qualified to critique your welds.
    And my camo frame has custom geo, with shortened stays. Exactly what the poster asked for.
    I don't like to get personal, unless it's in person, so I'm gonna close with this,
    You know as well as I do that frame building depends more on art than science. It is simple trigonometry, machining skills, and sound welding.
    I've been doing all three in many disciplines for 30 years. My next one is going to be building custom MTB frames.
    If it offends you, so be it. Your opinion won't make or break me, eh ?
    Peace,
    Rick.

P.S. I am extremely proud to be an employee of Intense Cycles but, I post on these boards as an individual, not as an employee of Intense Cycles. My views do not in any way represent the ideas, or beliefs of Intense Cycles.

mtbr member
    Brad,
    I was going to let this go, but not yet. 1st, who are you to question anyone who wants to do custom work ? Do new builders have to go through you to be considered custom caliber ?
    And, I don't usually do this, but I've seen some of your Nemesis bikes, the frames look cookie-cutter, and the welds are sloppy. I can only imagine how your steel looks. Aluminum is easy. Steel takes real skill. I was back-purging Titanium when you we're still sh!tting your pants. If you want to see some of mine, I could post them, just remember to think hard about that before you do, cuz then comparisons will be made. I don't believe you should go there.
    I have 4 welding certifications, enough to take 1 more class and I'd be a CWI, so I'm qualified to critique your welds.
    And my camo frame has custom geo, with shortened stays. Exactly what the poster asked for.
    I don't like to get personal, unless it's in person, so I'm gonna close with this,
    You know as well as I do that frame building depends more on art than science. It is simple trigonometry, machining skills, and sound welding.
    I've been doing all three in many disciplines for 30 years. My next one is going to be building custom MTB frames.
    If it offends you, so be it. Your opinion won't make or break me, eh ?
    Peace,
    Rick.

P.S. I am extremely proud to be an employee of Intense Cycles but, I post on these boards as an individual, not as an employee of Intense Cycles. My views do not in any way represent the ideas, or beliefs of Intense Cycles.
    Rick

Why are you getting so defensive .. I have never questioned your skill as a welder during this discussion only complimented it , you however continually attack me and now my bikes which you have never seen in person .

I was only asking very logical question on why you are now stepping into the relm of building "custom " bicycles that was all .
    More trying to spark good discussion about frame building not a flat out argument .
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Rick

Why are you getting so defensive .. I have never questioned your skill as a welder during this discussion only complimented it , you however continually attack me and now my bikes which you have never seen in person .

I was only asking very logical question on why you are now stepping into the relm of building "custom " bicycles that was all .
    More trying to spark good discussion about frame building not a flat out argument .
    Bullsh!t,
    And I've seen your bikes in person.
    Let this go Brad.
    Good luck with your career, and I do mean that.
    Rick.

mtbr member
    Bullsh!t,
    And I've seen your bikes in person.
    Let this go Brad.
    Good luck with your career, and I do mean that.
    Rick.

Rick
    Thank you for the encourgment
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Bikes!
    Hey Rick, your camo frame looks great, I saw the other thread with the raw finished bike and the welds look amazing, do you have any geometry specs on that?
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Rick
    Thank you for the encourgment
    Your welcome, I'm sure you will be successful.
    Maybe we'll hook up the last week of September.
    C'ya.
    RTW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    Hey Rick, your camo frame looks great, I saw the other thread with the raw finished bike and the welds look amazing, do you have any geometry specs on that?
    Hey Jamie,
    The HT is 70 degrees, the ST is 71 degrees, the top tube is 22 1/2 ''.
    I'm keeping the drop, and stay length's to my self right now.
    RTW.

Pro Crastinator
    RTW is merely a welder on a production line, he tries to hide the issue by making personal attacks and spouting off random facts to make himself sound like he is actually informed. while he makes great bikes (by no fault of his own, he works for intense), but he is a sheep being led by someone else who pulls the strings. he just welds what he is told to weld....

Evil4bc actually is a designer/engineer/welder who is hired to design the bikes for the bicycle industry that people like RTW are told to weld....

so, you can either just go with a welder who is told what to do, or you can go with a designer/engineer/welder who's passion is exactly what kind of bike you desire......

the answer lies right here.... www.NEMESISproject.com
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 08-06-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Bikes!
    Hey Jamie,
    The HT is 70 degrees, the ST is 71 degrees, the top tube is 22 1/2 ''.
    I'm keeping the drop, and stay length's to my self right now.
    RTW.
    Thanks Rick, it's cool you've gone off on your own to do a project like this, it's obvious you're so much more than a "sheep", good luck!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    As much as it would be nice to pigeon-hole people as only being capable of doing one thing and one thing only, I think it's fair to say that's about as far removed from reality as you can get. Inferring that someone is 'just a welder' that is 'told what to do' and not capable of thinking for themselves is pretty damn rude and disrespectful, and then to top it off by having a 'Ols School Welder vs Nemesis Project' spam-off is just childish.

I think it might at this early stage be prudent to give Rick the benefit of the doubt and see what he pulls out of his bag of tricks next.

Back to the original poster, what exactly are you going to be using this bike for and what materials are you considering? I can see a 74 degree HTA working for Trials but not really as a DJ/Street machine.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.