Thread: Covert sizing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Covert sizing.

Hi all,

Long time Transition lurker from Sweden here. I am not sure if this has been covered but how tall are you Covert owners and what size frame do you ride?

I'm pretty tall at 187 cm (which equates to 6 ft 1.6 inch according to Google conversions) with long legs and arms.

I currently ride a noname el cheapo FS which I find a tad too large (size 19.5" and 24.5" ETT), a bit sluggish in technical riding even though I run a short FR stem (see pic). Judging by the geo numbers on Transition web site I think I could get away with a medium but the Swedish Transition rep says he puts anyone over 182 cm on a large.

I would love a wee bit shorter and snappier bike than the one I'm riding at the moment. I used to run a medium FS XC whith a shorter ETT than a medium Covert and although it was flimsy and I broke the frame I liked the handling (might be lower weight aswell).

Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    /Johan

EDIT: Here's a pic of current bike and a link to a short clip of me riding in the Swedish woods http://fullface.happymtb.org/filmer/fredagsmys_0004.wmv
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Modig; 04-04-2007 at 02:51 AM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Ooh, that's a tough one. Seems like you could do alright with a large or a medium. If you have a lot of climbing to get to the good, maybe the large would be better. More rolling stuff, maybe the medium.

The smaller frame would be nice to throw around more, but then if you say you have long arms and legs, the larger may be better.

If your current ride feels too large, then I'd be inclined to say get the medium, though a drop of an inch in the ETT is pretty big. If you think you can handle that much less top tube, go for it. Just be sure to have a lot of seatpost in the frame!

On the other hand, the large with a shorter stem would probably work great too. It's still a fairly compact frame, with lots of standover for your long legs. And even with a shorter stem, you'd have the TT length to seemingly not be cramped to much on the flats and when climbing.

Sorry I'm not much help here, but based on what you say about the current frame, and the old one you broke, get the medium. IMO.

Dave
    175cm on a small Covert frame.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Gnar
    I agree with scrublover, that is a tough call. You say your current bike has a 24.5 ETT and according to the Transition web site the large Covert has a 24.75 ETT, which is even longer. If you are not happy with your current fit, I don’t think you would be happy with a large Covert. It does look like you could slide the seat forward on your current bike.

I am 5’11” and found that I was between sizes on a lot of bikes. Mediums with a 23” EFF and Larges with 24” EFF are pretty common and guys my height could go either way. I found that the larges were just too big for me.

At 6 ft 1.6 you might be one of those that are between sizes on a Covert, but you liked the medium FS XC. Maybe you could test ride a Heckler, the large has a 23.5 ETT that could give a better idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks to both of you for your input. I hope to have a look at a medium which is built up by the Swedish distributor/reseller. That should hopefully help

Cheers
    /Johan