Roll on Spring Time!

Covert Or Preston For Me?

can anyone give me feedback about which frame would be more suitable for me. of all the bikes i have managed to look at in the flesh the kona coiler is the one that gives me the most confidence for strengh and ridability. i like the commencal meta five as it is light and is supposed to climb superbly but it doesnt give me that feeling of confidence i get from the coiler. i am not sure about the reigns and i dont like the gt's. all other options are way above the price point of bikes already mentioned. i can get the coiler frame at a superb price but my heart has been set on the transitions from the first day i saw them, particularily the preston.
    i have come from a xc hardtail background but have recently been getting into light freeriding and more AM riding. my local area is delivering endless small jumps, gaps, drops etc and i am working them repeatedly to get smoother and more confident. i dont plan to go huge but i do need a bike to take the mistakes i am gonna make and i still need to ride to this playground and ultimately would like to do some 2-3 hour rides.
    i know the covert is lighter and climbs better but i dont know if is what i need to develope my skills on. if i could get to drop 4-5 foot to flatish and 8-10 foot to transition i would be well stoked, and that would be my ultimate target. i am also getting hooked on gap jumps. i know the preston can deliver the freeride capabilities but what is it like for longer rides?
    i would appreciate any help or feedback

From reading on this forum, I think you can built up the covert with a 160mm fork and a short 50-70mm stem to do what you described. The covert will probably be between 28-32lbs, and the preston will be in the mid to higher 30s with their respective honest builds.
    I'd go with the preston personally, since it is climbable and has the extra burl. Just slap on some single-ply 60a duro tires with a reasonable 500-550g rim and the mid weight AM parts

Time is not a road.
    Transition's web site had some closeout deals on Preston frames. It looks tough as nails, but if you're going more XC/Trail/light FR, the Covert looks spot on.

I'd bet the Coiler frame and Preston frame could be built pretty closely in spec and weight. Get the Preston...

The Sentinel

I have a Preston...

...so I might be biased, but I ride like you described. I have been riding my Preston for about a year, and it handles everything I can throw at it. I'm not doing any big drops...yet...but the 3-4 footers I can do are nothing for this bike. I set mine up more for AM riding, so I'm running a Marzocchi All Mountain 1 front fork and Shimano XT/Mavic 321 wheelset, but even with that, my build weight is over 36 pounds.

One thing you need to be aware of is how short the top tube of the Preston really is. If I am riding more freeride/stunts type riding I run a 80 mm stem, but I switch it to 110 mm for XC/AM riding, and even then it seems a little short to me...it took some getting used to.

I'd be happy to give you an exact build and weights if you are interested. I'm in the process of overhauling it right now, and changing a few things, so I might even take a few pics. I'm switching from 8" Hayes HFX-9 brakes to 185 mm Avid Juicy brakes. The 203 mm rear brake was just too much brake for me and the frame, so I'm going to the smaller rotors. I have Avid BB7 brakes on all my other bikes, so interchangeability of brake pads was also a selling point for switching to the Avids. The Hayes brakes seemed to be really on/off, and I'm hoping for a little more modulation with the Avids. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i'd lean towards the preston for more drop/jump stuff in the over 5' range. at least if doing them consistantly. not that the covert isn't capable, but the preston is built with that more in mind. the weight difference between the two frames is only 1.1# without shocks factored in.

a 32# covert would be spendier, depending on how burly you want it. mine with the lyrik and a fairly light setup is right at 34#. not that getting lighter can't be done, it's just going to cost more. air fork or smaller fork/lighter parts/lighter tires. the balance of weight/cost/durability as always.

i wouldn't even try to make a decently durable 32# preston. it could be done, i suppose, but it would cost a lot of dough to get one that light, and have it be durable for what you want.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

The Mountain Bike Life
    I am going to go from a 04 dirtbag to a Covert....I plan to ride the same trails and hope to do more enduro longer rides on the new bike. I looked at a preston, but I think the covert will do what I want better....2-3 foot drops and longer rides. I am going to build it with a 5.0 DH coil, and a coil lyric with a mix of good strength to weigh ratio parts.

I talked to the boys at Transition and they have put their Covert through it paces and it keeps on begging for more. They are confident in it and that it can even withstand my hack clydesdale riding (I am 260 lbs)....The trails I ride are fairly technical rocky, rooty, wet BC coastal trails...not a ton of stunts where I ride mostly...but lots of natural stuff.

Good luck, your short list is a bunch of good bikes, its the customer service and that I know the owners of Transition ride their bikes hard that made me choose them two bikes in a row.

mtbr member
    Another potential Transition convert here. I'm wondering the same thing, as the deal on the '06 Preston is almost too good to pass up. I'm a bigger guy (6' 220#), and most of my riding is XC/trail riding. I like to spend some time in the air, and am looking for a do-it-all FS bike. I was originally going to buy a complete bike from a major manu. (Trek, Spec, etc), but am really leaning towards building something from the frame up (based on how much I would have changed if I bought a complete bike).

Spec wise, I'd be looking at a coil fork, potentially a coil shock as well (coming from a HT, I don't have experience with rear suspension).

So the real question is this: Is the Covert worth the extra $$ over the Preston, or is the Preston worth the extra weight over the Covert?

Thanks!

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn
    So the real question is this: Is the Covert worth the extra $$ over the Preston, or is the Preston worth the extra weight over the Covert?
    That's not really a fair comparison. The old Preston is no subsitute for the new one.

conjoinicorned
    FWIW

my riding buddy has an 05 preston, he used it for AM/trail riding last year. the guy climbed it like a mountain goat. as set up in the picture, his preston was around 32-33#. then at the end of the season, he slapped on a super T 170mm and a beefy wheelset, and killed some DH on it. said it felt better as a DH bike.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    That's not really a fair comparison. The old Preston is no subsitute for the new one.
    So you're saying that if I'm considering the Covert I should compare it with the 07 Preston? Is there any reason to consider the 06 Preston if I'm not an everyday FR rider? I guess the only reason I was looking at the Preston was the deal on the 06 frame... The Covert seems to be more the "type" of bike I'm looking at, but I try not to get caught up in labels.

user-created
    So you're saying that if I'm considering the Covert I should compare it with the 07 Preston? Is there any reason to consider the 06 Preston if I'm not an everyday FR rider? I guess the only reason I was looking at the Preston was the deal on the 06 frame... The Covert seems to be more the "type" of bike I'm looking at, but I try not to get caught up in labels.
    Don't get me wrong, the 06 is sweet. But the 2" stroke shock on the 07 is the key.

If you really need to save money, get the closeout, but if you're considering spending a grand on a Covert, you'll appreciate what that couple hundred extra gets you in a Preston.

Not that this helps you decide between the two bikes in any way. They're very equal. Just tweaked a bit in opposite directions.

I'm with singletrack. If it's between the 06 preston and the new Covert, go for the Covert. New Preston vs. Covert is a tough call. 1# heavier, can be run with larger forks, and therefore run slacker.

If you don't care about the wieght, are abusive to your rides, want a fork with more than 160mm of travel, and tend to drop frequently then go Preston.

If that stuff isn't important, get the Covert. It's solid. It's not intended for constant big drops, but unless you are a sloppy rider, it looks like it can take a lot. Stuff in the 3-5' range with good landings seem to be in its range; larger than that on a frequent basis and I'd say it's not the right bike.

Mine felt very good on plenty of 2-4' hits in six days of Moab riding a little bit ago!

mtbr member
    Ok, so to derail the thread a little, how does the geometry of the Covert compare to other bikes? I don't know of any dealers in my area (still looking though), so I'd like some comparisons of the bike to other, more well-known brands.

The Covert is now on my short-list...

Ok, so to derail the thread a little, how does the geometry of the Covert compare to other bikes? I don't know of any dealers in my area (still looking though), so I'd like some comparisons of the bike to other, more well-known brands.

The Covert is now on my short-list...
    Just go look on the Transition site; it's got sizing and geometry numbers for each model. Then you can compare to the other stuff you may be looking into.