Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Cortina Pics & Info (merged thread)

Is Cortina still operating their website? If not, do any of you have any info or specs on the Dh Extreme-8? I'm thinking about trading for one and as such any info or comments would be helpful, especially in the sizing department since I'm about 6'6" and was wondering if a large would fit or not.
    While billions are being spent to determine whether there is or was life on Mars, we are left to ponder the age old question: "How much wood could a Wood Chuck chuck, if a Wood Chuck could chuck wood?"

mtbr member
    May 2004

Does anyone wanna say something about Cortina?

Alright so I've been looking around the web for the last couple of days and have been able to find very little in terms of reviews or thoughts on Cortina's bikes. I'm interested because I'm considering trading my Giant Dh Team for a Cortina DHE-8. Both are 2002 models and the Cortina is speced with a Stratos S8 fork and RS Pro Deluxe rear shock. What am I giving up/ gaining with the Cortina, in areas such as: durability, weight, suspension design, etc....? Also are there any chronic problems which the Cortina or Stratos had that I should look out for? Any help would be much appreciated.
    While billions are being spent to determine whether there is or was life on Mars, we are left to ponder the age old question: "How much wood could a Wood Chuck chuck, if a Wood Chuck could chuck wood?"

Former Noob Herder
    actually i'd stay away from the fork and shock, both tend to have 'issues'. Cant say much about the frame.

mtbr member

tastes great with lime...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    actually i'd stay away from the fork and shock, both tend to have 'issues'. Cant say much about the frame.
    I'm aware of the so called "issues'" on the Pro Deluxe since that's what is on my Giant right now, but are the fork "issues" maintenance based, or designed based? In essence is it any better than an 2002 Boxxer, or would I just be picking up a problem fork regardless of what condition it is in? If you can answer this great, otherwise thanks for the first info.

Cynical Bystander
    The 02 Boxxer is like the best boxxer they made.... keep it. lol.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by justflow
    ....but are the fork "issues" maintenance based, or designed based?
    pretty much designed based. Its one of those things where they work well....when they work. Their performance seems to be as inconsistant as their service. I would point you towards a Shiver; its lighter, somewhat stiffer and extreamely reliable.

/dev/null
    pretty much designed based. Its one of those things where they work well....when they work. Their performance seems to be as inconsistant as their service. I would point you towards a Shiver; its lighter, somewhat stiffer and extreamely reliable.
    Zedro, the Shiver Pimp has spoken.

Glad to Be Alive
    Shiver me Timbers.....Shivers Rule
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Shiver me Timbers.....Shivers Rule
    exept for the 2004 stickers....ahh my eyes are bleeding!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    The RED actually matches the bike.

Glad to Be Alive
    Saint cranks are sweet too.

Former Noob Herder
    love the polished frame tho, sweet ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Alright so I've been looking around the web for the last couple of days and have been able to find very little in terms of reviews or thoughts on Cortina's bikes. I'm interested because I'm considering trading my Giant Dh Team for a Cortina DHE-8. Both are 2002 models and the Cortina is speced with a Stratos S8 fork and RS Pro Deluxe rear shock. What am I giving up/ gaining with the Cortina, in areas such as: durability, weight, suspension design, etc....? Also are there any chronic problems which the Cortina or Stratos had that I should look out for? Any help would be much appreciated.
    I ride a 04 Cortina DH-8 (sponsored) Suited out with 04 dorado's and 6 way swigger ect.. all the booties.
    Anyways what I can say... 1st Great awsome racing bike super fast easy to handle if you know how to DH. Gaining by trading for a DH-8 alot! you don't have to have a pain in the ass linkage like a Giant Dh. Can you adjust the drop out wheel base away from the frame on a Giant DH NO!. So pretty much if its very muddy and you need more mud clearance in the back just move the drop outs away from the triangle so you have at least 2" space from the wheel and frame. Or bring it in close to just 1/2 an inch for those close tight corner DH races. The DH-8 is a proven bike simple and very well built TOUGH! Listen to this I have an old 01 rear triangle on my DH-8 and a new front triangle. The rear TRiangle is Super Stong has not broken bent ect.. in any way with how many races drops FR I've done. Simple but here is a tip. Make the trade, How ever the stratos will have to go. Great bike deserves a great Fork and you will get 100 % satisfaction. Its like you can't have shity components on a Awsome M3. So make sure you have good components for this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hmm wierd... when I had my pro-delux on my Cortina Dh-8 It was fine went through 2 season's with out it blowing out on me once and 1 rebuilt for cleaning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    The 02 Boxxer is like the best boxxer they made.... keep it. lol.

Like this one LOL, took the place of the Dorado this race (fixing)

http://www.dropmachine.com/media/sho...cat/501/page/1

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I used to own a DH8... Great bike... About the only complaints I had on the bike is on square edge stuff it was a little rough and that some bastard barrowed that bike from my garage and I haven't seen it since.... Other than that, it was a great bike.

Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The DH-8 is a beautiful bike and very well built. I unfortunately never felt comfortable on it. I am tall at 6'3" but I like small frames. I ride a medium Turner DHR for example. The problem is that Cortina changes the frame size by supplying differant seat towers. This is all fine and dandy if you only ride seated. Except much if not most downhill riding is done standing up. So the real measurement that matters is headtube to bottom bracket since this determines coqpit size while standing. The Cortina front triangle is very small, smaller then my son's small Turner DHR. So if you can fit it, then it is an awesome frame. Nice feeling progressive suspension.
    The other thing to consider is although it has horizontal drop outs it has verrrrry long chainstays. I'm going by memory but this should be pretty close, I think the shortest you can get is 18" or very close to that. That's pretty long. Nice and stable at speed but can be tough to get the front end up.
    As far as the RockShox Pro Deluxe, don't worry about it. Cortina custom valves them in house for the frame. If you are buying it used then send it back to them and get it revalved for your weight and riding style. Runs around $70. I am firmly convinced that most the problems they had with the Pro deluxe is because the compression adjustment works exceptionally well. Very wide range, an makes a noticible differance in even 1 click of adjustment. My guess is many riders use it to compensate for to light of a spring and crank it up to high and blow the shock. I had mine tuned exactly to my weight and riding style and never had a problem. It was actually an awesome shock.
    The other thing to watch out for, especially if it is a older one. Is the headtube. Cortina did have some issues with them ripping right off, quite unexpectedly in some instances. The headtube itself is also pretty thin, at least it was on mine. Looked like the headtube on an XC bike. Like 1/8" wall thickness and then releaved (even thinner) towards the middle. Pretty easy to ovalize and a steelset won't work because it steps up (inside diameter gets larger) past the machined area were the headset presses in. Not sure if that makes sense. Can't think of another way to explain it. Sufficent to say only a standard headset would work. The newer ones may have been improved.
    I had an Stratos S8 in 01. It was a great feeling fork but pretty heavy. I personally never had any problems with mine, but I didn't run it very long.
    Hope this helps.
    Rick

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD
    The DH-8 is a beautiful bike and very well built. I unfortunately never felt comfortable on it. I am tall at 6'3" but I like small frames. I ride a medium Turner DHR for example. The problem is that Cortina changes the frame size by supplying differant seat towers. This is all fine and dandy if you only ride seated. Except much if not most downhill riding is done standing up. So the real measurement that matters is headtube to bottom bracket since this determines coqpit size while standing. The Cortina front triangle is very small, smaller then my son's small Turner DHR. So if you can fit it, then it is an awesome frame. Nice feeling progressive suspension.
    The other thing to consider is although it has horizontal drop outs it has verrrrry long chainstays. I'm going by memory but this should be pretty close, I think the shortest you can get is 18" or very close to that. That's pretty long. Nice and stable at speed but can be tough to get the front end up.
    As far as the RockShox Pro Deluxe, don't worry about it. Cortina custom valves them in house for the frame. If you are buying it used then send it back to them and get it revalved for your weight and riding style. Runs around $70. I am firmly convinced that most the problems they had with the Pro deluxe is because the compression adjustment works exceptionally well. Very wide range, an makes a noticible differance in even 1 click of adjustment. My guess is many riders use it to compensate for to light of a spring and crank it up to high and blow the shock. I had mine tuned exactly to my weight and riding style and never had a problem. It was actually an awesome shock.
    The other thing to watch out for, especially if it is a older one. Is the headtube. Cortina did have some issues with them ripping right off, quite unexpectedly in some instances. The headtube itself is also pretty thin, at least it was on mine. Looked like the headtube on an XC bike. Like 1/8" wall thickness and then releaved (even thinner) towards the middle. Pretty easy to ovalize and a steelset won't work because it steps up (inside diameter gets larger) past the machined area were the headset presses in. Not sure if that makes sense. Can't think of another way to explain it. Sufficent to say only a standard headset would work. The newer ones may have been improved.
    I had an Stratos S8 in 01. It was a great feeling fork but pretty heavy. I personally never had any problems with mine, but I didn't run it very long.
    Hope this helps.
    Rick
    Great response! I'll be checking the bike out tomorrow so we'll see what happens. The smallish cockpit might be a problem considering that I'm 6'6". I'm hoping that it will be ata least as large as the Giant, but I've heard many people saying that Giant larges are larger than most other DH frames. Anyway thanks again.

Team
    Nice bikes guys.
    fusionx2.com/eatskisleep
    500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    the thingamajig that's attached to the doohickey is causing some issues with the whatchamacallit. But whatever it is your going to have take'er apart a give'er a looksee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Ugh...judging drops on MTBR is like guys judging their own penis size.

mtbr member
    I haven't had a chance to ride one, but I've seen a few, and owned a different model cortina. The quality of their bikes is outsanding, as is their customer service.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    off topic but u know anyways...

exept for the 2004 stickers....ahh my eyes are bleeding!!!
    i have to agree there horrible...i really like the 04 fork protector covers or whatever u want to call them tho...but id remove the stickers and the youd have a nice looking fork...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

MTB SOCAL

Yellow Cortina DHE on Pinkbike

There's a clean Cortina DHE listed on Pinkbike - http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/buys...ew&image=45834. FYI
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yangpei; 08-08-2004 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Left out picture
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Cynical Bystander
    That looks pretty sweet. if you can try to get it so that you trade it for everything but the fork so that you could put your 02 boxxer onto it. Otherwise I'd say go for it, looks like a sweet looking bike. I was looking into one for a while before my V-10.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i rode with a kid that had one of those this past week...hes broken it 3 times, all in different places, and hes not a hard rider or antyhing...watch out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast