mtbr member
    Aug 2006

bottlerocket or dirtbag?

hey,

its time for me to build up a new frame. and im trying to decide if i want a bottlrocket or dirtbag.

the bike will be a do it all bike but mainly on the downhill side of things and will be built up with 66's,mtx 26's raceface kit etc..

i lean towards the bottlerocket as it just looks to be perfect for what i need but there is meant to be a world wide shortage of bottlerockets in smalls and med(my size)

so i guess i want reviews. thoughts anything to help me decide if i should wait out an pick up a bottlerocket or just grab a dirtbag frame....

Hard as nails
    I have a 06 DB, but really dig the BR. I have a friend that rides a BR. So yeah i test rode it. It pedals nice, suspension was stiff - not very plush. (well, not as plush as the DB) I like it - In Florida I ride a lot of agrro xc and a lot of freeriding, some flowy stuff mixed with gnar. At 6'1 my prob would be with the seatpost lenght/exposure etc... If were a dirt jumper i would get one, very flickable! So, it really depends on the terrain and what kind of riding you do. I love riding the fast choppy stuff and hitting the semi big stuff - so i like the extra CUSH and larger frame underneath me Ride them both to get a feel - both very nice bikes
    Here is my 06' DB (My do all Bike except for the Marathon epic days):

[SIZE="4"]Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau[/SIZE]

http://vimeo.com/6232260

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a medium Bottlerocket which I love but I am selling the Frame with DHX 5.0 with a 36 Vanila fork to get a Dirtbag. I can have only one suspension Bike and plan on a few more days at Whistler etc and need a little XTRa cush. The Bottlerocket rails but is not as forgiving as I need for various terrain. Especially comming off a busted collar bone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    how do the dirtbags pedal like? and what do they weigh in at?

i dont go stupidly huge(but would still like to be able to hit up jumps and and the odd drop,but that will always be to tranny).. just want something i can rail corners with and pretty much rip anywhere anytime..

sixsixtysix
    I have only riden a Bottlerocket once so I can't give you a total side by side, but can tell you quite a bit about the Dirtbag as I just got my 2nd one. My old one was a 2005 with a Romic shock. I logged nearly 3000 miles on it in the 2 seasons I rode it, and overall it rode quite well. It wasn't great at any one thing, but it was good for just about anything. I rode it as my XC, AM and DH bike. Pedalling it was not a problem unless you hit some long uphills ( long being 5-7 miles and climbing 2000-3000 ft), then the bike felt like it needed a diet and a pro pedal or platform shock would have been nice.

This season came along and I was torn between a Bottle Rocket, a new Dirtbag or a Gran Mal. The Bottle Rocket looked appealing because of the weight reduction, but from the ride I took on one, the suspension is just not "plush" like I like it to be, it is definetly a slope style bike. I then thought screw it, if i want plush, I might as well say forget pedaling and get the Gran Mal. But again, after a few rides on a friends, I really didn't like how long the rear end felt and just didn't feel comforatble on it. So the answer was.... A new Dirtbag and I couldn't be happier.

I just got to spend some ride time on my new 07 this weekend and can say everything I liked about the 05 has gotten even better. I put a Roco TST-R on for the shock, and what a perfect match for this frame it is.

Throw it to the CL setting and it feels like you are pedaling a short travel XC bike, a heavy one, but it climbs like a mule.

Put it in AM mode and the bike feels like a mid travel 4-5" AM bike, tight, very well tracking and rails through corners

Put it in DS mode and the suspension is plush and feels bottomless, but stiffens right up on bigger drops. Not as plush as a Gran Mal, but I have no worries about running it down some nasty lift assisted runs.

The other thing with the 07's are a lower top tube for better stand over. A very welcome upgrade as the 05 was a little tall. The redisgned rear linkage is also much stiffer laterally.

As for weight, mine is tipping in at 45lbs with a 888RC2X and a pretty hefty build of Race Face Diabolus components and dual ply Kenda 2.5's with heavy duty tubes (pesky thorns and cactus in AZ) but it really doesnt feel that heavy when riding it.

The Dirtbag is a GREAT all around freeride bike.

The Old:

The New (while being built)

Brackish
    Here is my newly built Dirtbag, weighing in at 45.5 pounds (not one single part chosen with any consideration for weight saving):

And here is my wife's BottleRocket, weighing in at 40 pounds:

She chose her bike for general downhill and freeriding because the small Dirtbag's standover was too tall for her stature (5' 4"). She loves it, but says it's a hard pedal for trail riding (compared to her Kona Dawg). I chose mine as a more freeride oriented replacement for my Yakuza Kumicho DH bike, and even with a single 38t ring on the front it pedals suprisingly well (with the SPV in the Swinger set up correctly). My first rides on it were last weekend at Black Rock in Oregon on Saturday and SST in Washington on Monday and it handled woodwork very well, with a good tight turning radius,and 4-5 foot drops with a smooth bottomless feel that had me conquering my demons from rides past and trying new stuff that I had previously sworn off of trying. And that's in the first weekend! My wife is having the same level of success with the Bottle Rocket, so really the question is what are you using the bike primarily for (be honest with yourself) and how much travel do you really need (more honesty)? The BR flicks better, the DB is a little more rounded for all around trails and has that extra 1.5" of travel. Both are great bikes!