Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

azonic steelhead

hey does anyone out there have an azonic steelhead? i'm really thinking about getting one but i'm kinda scared to get it without riding it. i'm about 6' 1'' and i ride alot of urban, drops stairs walls all that fun stuff, we're working on building/repairing some north shore here so i'll be riding that too, and i also attempt to dirt jump (i suck but i'm still working on that one). is this frame going to work for me? i'm on a small budget so it's about all i can afford. my main concern is the size. is it going to fit me? all other thoughts are welcome too. thanks for your help!

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    hey does anyone out there have an azonic steelhead? i'm really thinking about getting one but i'm kinda scared to get it without riding it. i'm about 6' 1'' and i ride alot of urban, drops stairs walls all that fun stuff, we're working on building/repairing some north shore here so i'll be riding that too, and i also attempt to dirt jump (i suck but i'm still working on that one). is this frame going to work for me? i'm on a small budget so it's about all i can afford. my main concern is the size. is it going to fit me? all other thoughts are welcome too. thanks for your help!
    I have one and Id reccomend it without a doubt its stong and cheap. Its also a little heavy but its steel so what can you expect?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    I have one and Id reccomend it without a doubt its stong and cheap. Its also a little heavy but its steel so what can you expect?
    just out of curiosity do you have the pro or xl and how tall are you?

Stand back

Good job! pro xl

I'm 6'2" and love the fit and ride of my pro xl. I had a chameleon, but prefer the steelhead.
    With a long (410mm) post, I can even get enough leg extension to trail ride with it. Great frame, not even considering the cost.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    just out of curiosity do you have the pro or xl and how tall are you?
    i use the pro and im a little over 5'11''

mtbr member
    The one at the LBS came with bent chainstays. We bent them back by hand. The steelhead is weak. Save your money and buy a better bike. There is a reason they are only $250 for the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kanter
    The one at the LBS came with bent chainstays. We bent them back by hand. The steelhead is weak. Save your money and buy a better bike. There is a reason they are only $250 for the frame.
    steelheads are great hardtails. i just built mine up as a freeride ht (dh tires, z150) and it ruled on its maiden voyage. as good as any ht ever produced. it kills my old p1. im not going back to other hardtails. i may even buy another to have a freeride and dj hardtail built up so i wont have to switch tires/forks all the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    steelheads are great hardtails. i just built mine up as a freeride ht (dh tires, z150) and it ruled on its maiden voyage. as good as any ht ever produced. it kills my old p1. im not going back to other hardtails. i may even buy another to have a freeride and dj hardtail built up so i wont have to switch tires/forks all the time.
    Let us know when it breaks...... because it will. They are junk.

crumb
    actually youre the only person ive ever heard complain about one. maybe it was a defect? I rode Dh with mine for a month with a boxxer and it was perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    actually youre the only person ive ever heard complain about one. maybe it was a defect? I rode Dh with mine for a month with a boxxer and it was perfect.

ahhhhh "month" is the key word in your post

PONCHO
    Feb 2005
    FYCK DUDE. QUIT *****ING BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOME MAD CONFLICT WITH AZONIC OR SOMETHING.

crumb
    ahh i only rode dh with a dc for a month but ive ridden it for much longer than that

user-created
    I ridden mine for over a year. It's a great frame, and completely indestructable. I'd choose a Steelie over many higher-priced hardtails.

The whiny guy above is flat out wrong. Get yerself an XL, you won't be dissapointed.

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    I ridden mine for over a year. It's a great frame, and completely indestructable. I'd choose a Steelie over many higher-priced hardtails.

The whiny guy above is flat out wrong. Get yerself an XL, you won't be dissapointed.
    Yeah that guy was a turd.

The azonic steelhead is freakin strong. I've seen plenty of them with big forks.

Plus steel isn't like aluminum, it can be used for longer and will not lose strength over time as easily.

mtbr member
    Im just giving my opinion. Some of you guys need to grow up.

I love Azonic stuff, just not the steelhead.

Maybe all of you are smoother than the riders around where I live.

The few Steelheads that went through the LBS were so misaligned that the rear tires would rub on the chainstays. Or the wheel wouldn't even go on. We had to straighen more than one because the bike was so misaligned. Some came perfectly aligned while others were so out of wack you wouldn't believe it.

At first we thought something happened in shipping but the boxes looked fine. Then when more that one was misaligned we new it was a common thing. I have even heard of other shops noticing this.

The frame is rather strong if you get a good one. But when you get it make sure you really look it over.

Just trying to help ya out. Love ya all.... peace out.

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005

The steel Head

One of the guys I ride with now had one a while back, he hated he said it was to heavy, and he said it had crap geometry. From what I understand its very similar to the KHS hardtail I ride now, I have a DJ100 its similar to a 15", and I'm 5'7". my only concern is the weight of the bike, but the single speed conversion helped with that.

If you wnat a hard tail that seems to be unbreakable I would buy one.
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

mtbr member
    well i know guys who have done mad sh*t on their steelheads and no breaky. im talking huge dubs and big drops. one guy is 6ft5 230 and he destroyed his last frame (chameleon). quit talkin smack unless you have proof steelheads break.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Steel frames are the way to go for the DJ bikes.

mtbr member
    I take the breaking part back. Ive only seen one break. Sorry no pics.

As for the frame being welded incorrectly, I wont take that back. Almost every steelhead frame that went through the shop was misaligned. The rear chainstays were so off I couldn't believe it. Just make sure you check yours when you buy one. The ratio of aligned frames vs misaligned frames was about 50:50.

I have seen them take a lot of abuse and keep going. Just watch out for the chainstays being crooked. Thats all Im saying.

I guess I hurt someones feelings when I said break.

PEACE.

user-created
    The rear chainstays were so off I couldn't believe it.
    You realize that one of the great things about steel is that you can bend it, they make tools specifically for aligning steel rear ends, and adjusting the alignment doesn't hurt the frame in anyway, right?

mtbr member
    I ride the regular frame. I am 5'11" and 207. I love mine. It feels very small but I like that for Ray's. It is very strong and the frame was and is perfectly straight.

I rode it on trails this year with 130mm Z1 26" wheels and 24" wheels. Also rode it with gears and SS.

It has been ridden at Ray's Indoor MTBike Park about 15 times this season. 13 times with 24s and twice with 26's. It jumps great witht he 24's and feels like it was made more for 24's than 26's.

IMHO for any type of riding you should get a 100mm fork... preferable 90mm. The HT is pretty slacked out otherwise. I changed my Z1 from 130mm to 90mm.

Getting a LG SC chameleon for trail riding next year but for the jumps, stunts and urban the Steelhead rules!!!
    Last edited by Axis; 11-07-2005 at 05:11 AM.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Im new to the Azonic fam, but I love my steelhead! its so good to ride a hardtail again, im 6' and have the pro XL and think it fits nice, been DJ'n and urban drop'n for 3 weeks now and its feeling great! oh, im riding w/ a Jr T on front, dont think its that slack at all....
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    You realize that one of the great things about steel is that you can bend it, they make tools specifically for aligning steel rear ends, and adjusting the alignment doesn't hurt the frame in anyway, right?
    Right. But it should come aligned from the factory.

rollin
    i'm 5-10 and ride the pro size.
    if you're 6-1, i would recommend the xl. and it will still be a compact frame.

i've never checked the allignment, but it rides great. i've also taken it down some rockgarden downhills and it's held up. the steel feels awesome. i scored mine for $150 off ebay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

steelhead

I have been biking and worked in bike shops for half of my 36 years of age and believe me i have had quite a few frames that have been incorrectly aligned.I myself chose the steelhead and it is the second one that i have had because it is a no fuss bulletproof steel hardtail.Nothing fancy or expensive compared to some of the so called custom made perfectly aligned bull **** from companys that should know better.I will not go into detail on mtbr but people would be SERIOUSLY supprised if i spilt the beans.I would say that a frame that is as popular as the steelhead is going to get some bad rep from someone and due to the price there are going to be minor issues sometimes but for a bike that is going to see hard use and abuse why go out and spend stupid amounts of money.The steelhead has probably out sold most frames of its type so someone will slag it off at some point.I would without doubt recommend one and would feel smug at how much you paid for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast