Let us know what route you take.
    I actually finished the bike 2 weeks later, here's the build thread:
    My Saber is finally done - pics

Since then I've done the following changes:
    Juicy 7's
    DHX 5
    EX321/XT wheelset (going on today)
    Firm Pike springs (going in tomorrow)

I love this bike. I haven't really pursued DJing yet but out local spot basically has a mile long pump track. I use 5" mode up there and on XC rides, can't complain at all. I swap to 6" for anything more serious. My shock is set up for 6" so when I switch to 5 it just has a little give. I've found the Pike to be too soft for my riding so I'm throwing in the firm springs to see how they feel.
    I tend to overbuild bikes and my Saber's been pushing about 40. The new wheels are an effort to lighten it up a bit.

Transition Blindside v5

A quick update on my '04 Azonic Saber (17") upgrades

Just a quick update on my '04 Azonic Saber (17") upgrades...

I just installed a new fork, which is a slightly-used '05 Marzocchi Z1 FR1 (150mm, HSCV, Air-Preload, rebound, ETA). This is (finally!) my 1st thru-axle fork. With thru-axle, I also finally up'ed the front rotor to 203mm from 185mm. For the new front thru-axle wheel, I picked a Hadley hub, but the rim (Sun Single Track) & spoke (2.0/straight) are spec'ed the same as before.

I've not even had a good test ride in yet, but it's on the way to Whistler (my 1st time) now for a fun one-week trip. I just wish I had some time to dial it all in beforehand, though...

Other misc. items that got swapped since my last post are a shorter Diabolous stem (50mm down from previous 75mm) for a nicer/tighter-feeling cockpit and a bigger WTB Power V DH Race saddle with stronger 8mm cromo rails ('cause my WTB Stealth Laser V's Ti rails failed twice).

It's 36lbs 13oz, as pictured below.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-30-2006 at 01:39 PM.

always learning
    PiroChu, did you do something to the finish of the bike? It looks like brushed metal as opposed to the polished way it comes. It looks awesome that way, if there's one thing I could change about by bike it would be to do the same thing, make it brushed instead of polished.

Looks good

Transition Blindside v5

brushed, maybe by all my falls/crashes ?

Quote Originally Posted by tgreathead
    PiroChu, did you do something to the finish of the bike? It looks like brushed metal as opposed to the polished way it comes.

Hi tgreathead,

Hummm, interesting... I haven't particularly done anything to the frame "finish", except to peel off all the stickers the day I got the frame.

Below are some old pic's of my '04 frame when it was fresh out of the box. Does it look like yours (or "polished")?

Maybe it was just my pic's above (w/ bad shade/shadow?) that made it look like it's been "brushed", I wonder? Unless, well, the only "brushing" I've done to my frame is from all the crashes/falls (and plenty of such), hahahah...

Oh, and, if you have some new pic's of yours with the recent updates, pls post 'em, too.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

Last edited by PiroChu; 06-30-2006 at 01:06 PM.

always learning
    It must have just been the shade, those frame pics look the same as mine.

No pics with the new setup yet but I'll take some this weekend when I ride. I'm big into photography and many of the guys I ride with aren't so many times no one wants to stop and take my picture, but they don't complain when I take theirs

Might have to set up a little self-timer action...

What's the weight of your current build?

Transition Blindside v5

36~37lbs (coil/coil) or 33~34lbs (air/air)

What's the weight of your current build?
    With the recent upgrades, mine (as pictured above) is now just a few ounces under 37lbs, which is up from previous 36.5lbs (as pictured further above). If I put 2.5 tires & fatter rims (and an even-bigger fork), I'm sure it'll quickly get closer to the 40lbs mark.

By the way, somebody mentioned above something about a 33lbs Saber. Just for kicks, mine was 33.5lbs when I had an air/air setup with Fox TALAS fork & 5th Air shock (as pictured here).

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/5th-element-air-shock-hardware-calculator-87984.html#post843478

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Sorry guys, moving on...

After getting a third crack on the frame I realize the Propulsion frame won't make it on the trails I'm doing. Too bad since I think it's a very, very nice frame.

This time in the swing. http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/203298/page=15

So I'm now waiting for my Reign frame that seems to be lost in transit somewhere in southern Sweden. It's going to be interesting to se how the Giant will hold up, can't say I'm unhappy to get almost twice as much rear travel compared to the Propulsion.

Did some quick research here on MTBR and it seems hard to find any negative opinions on the reign frame, if some, it's about the, a bit unprotected rear shock.

I hope all your bikes hold up better than mine!
    //Harri

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    hey all, i secured my propulsion a bit more than a month ago...done some decent trail riding...love it thus far.

only prob. 18.5 inch frame and i'm abit less than 5'8", so its a bit big for me...and i'm planning on freeriding this frame...think its too big?

gmoney was gmoneybike
    I'm assuming this is your only bike.

I have an Azonic Saber whic I use for mild FR. My gut opinion is that your propulsion might not be the best set up for FR with its limited travel. But don't let that stop you from experimenting and having fun. There are plent of hardtail riders out there that go huge (albeit on beefy frames and bigger forks).

If it feels big make sure your saddle is dropped and consider throwing on a shorter stem.
    Were looking at balz

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yeah only bike...

thanks for the info...yeah 4" of travel is an inch less than i'd want...
    however, i have to climb to get to the down around here and i'm scared the saber will be a pig on climbs...friends ride intense5.5, SC blurLt...will the saber keep up with these uphill??

i'm seriously considering a saber...but the propulsion werks so well on all mountain right now..

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOGUN
    yeah only bike...

thanks for the info...yeah 4" of travel is an inch less than i'd want...
    however, i have to climb to get to the down around here and i'm scared the saber will be a pig on climbs...friends ride intense5.5, SC blurLt...will the saber keep up with these uphill??

i'm seriously considering a saber...but the propulsion werks so well on all mountain right now..
    It will all depend on your riding style but the Propulsion would not be enough travel for me to ride FR. My Saber is a pig (about 40 pounds) but I've seen many Sabers on this forum that get into the mid to low 30's with the right build, just look at PiroChu's. I still use my Saber to climb but nothing epic. I've also heard some sad stories about the Propulsion not being beefy enough to handle FR and guys snapping frames so be careful.

Transition Blindside v5
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOGUN
    i have to climb to get to the down around here and i'm scared the saber will be a pig on climbs...friends ride intense5.5, SC blurLt...will the saber keep up with these uphill??
    Hi SHOGUN,

Like tgreathead said, it all depends on how you set up a Saber.

just look at PiroChu's.
    For example, with an "air/air" setup, you can get it down to about 33lbs (or even less with lighter carbon stuff), and that figure shouldn't particularly discourage you from climbing like a goat with your friends...

On the other hand, with a "coil/coil" setup, it'll be about 36~37lbs, and easily be about 40lbs with more-appropriate DH tubes & DH-casing tires. I'm not the strongest/fastest climber, but I still get up there on my current 40lbs setup. (You know, "slowly"...)

As for fully-FR'ing your Propulsion, I'm not too sure, either. For example, I found out the hard way that Saber's linkage "pin" for the main rocker-plate bearings is made of alum (not steel), and consists of multi-pieces (not one-piece). I think it's because this pin is designed to go thru the alum "tabs" that are welded onto the seattube (as opposed to the pin going "thru" the seattube itself, as seen with Kona & many other rocker-plate frames). Anyway, since Azonic spec'ed it like that for Saber, I'm guessing that it's possibly the same (or even worse/weaker) with Propulsion...?

http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/help-04-azonic-saber-broken-linkage-pin-weakest-link-alum-208751.html#post2051531

By the way, if I break this "pin" assembly again, I'm thinking of picking up some steel shoulder bolts (x2; one on each side separately) to replace these pieces next time. Yet, I'm also afraid that the steel bolts might ovalize the alum tabs...?

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 08-09-2006 at 03:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    TGEARHEAD, thanks for the warning...i don't think i'll do any real freerides with this frame..

PIROCHU, a friend of mine runs a titanium bolt/screw etc business...he claims its possible to replace every "bolt" with a titanium counter part...think this could solve the problem or would this also ruin the aluminum?
    btw how tall are you? or inseam wise...i don't want to chase a saber if the 17" is too tall for me as well.
    Last edited by SHOGUN; 08-09-2006 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    PiroChu - how did you get that shiny finish on your Saber, I want to do that to mine as its looking very tired

http://www.djwilko.fotopic.net/p30519958.html

Transition Blindside v5
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtwilko
    PiroChu - how did you get that shiny finish on your Saber, I want to do that to mine as its looking very tired

Hi sgtwilko,

I actually didn't do anything to the finish on my Saber. Must've been the shade/color in my pic's...

http://forums.mtbr.com/custom-dh-fr-urban-builders/azonic-riders-step-right-98238-post2015364.html

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    whoa, did some singletrack and freeride at Ringwood in Jersey....

i'm shocked the propulsion felt solid...however the romic didn't last...

it blew out...i think i had it adjusted wrong + when i started i saw a bit of oil leaking from bottom adjuster!

oh well...nevertheless, i'm pretty confident with only 4" of travel...can't wait till i try the 5-6 of a saber...

i think i'll take the plunge.

mtbr member

'04 Saber FTW!

Here is my '04. Anyone know where I can actually order some bushings for a Swinger and who still has hardware kits? Damn Azonic doesn't like to talk to its' customers....

Regardless, this bikes is an amazing handler at high speed, climbs "like a goat" and keeps up with my friends Devinci 8 flat 8 on the steep rocky stuff.

I wish they could distribute the new version in the states, I love the hosrt link action...
    http://www.cyclesolutions.com.au/products/frames.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    update...

i've replaced the blown romic with another romic, but with a ti spring, and proper sag setup etc...the ti spring is a 1/3 of the weight..it really doesn't matter to me anymore..

bombing fireroads, single track, a couple of 3-4 foot drops and the propulsion amazes me...

only question i have is...whats up with my rear derailuer hitting the chainstay..i've tightened it however, as i'm flying down i hear some hitting???

nevertheless, this bike can take some abuse! I'm going to strip the weak stickers...they are failing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My Steel Head from Spain ---- Barcelona

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TM1
    Well, BETD is considering making roker plates for the Propulsion.
    They will make the plates if they will be able to sale some 50 pairs.

The palates will alow a longer/changeable travel for the Propulsion.

Get in their web-site (www.betd.co.uk), enter the chat and respond !!!

this is cool...i posted...and as soon as they make'em, i'm buying!! everyone with a propulsion should post on their chat area!!!! lets get this going!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey PITTAR,

that steelhead looks sick!!! how does it do going downhill?? looks like you have alot of front travel...

mtbr member

Love My Saber

Just had to post an update with some fresh pics...

Just picked up and broke in a Swinger 6-way and a Rock Shox Domain 318 Fork. So far so good, the compression adjustment is trick and the Motion Control damping makes drops nice and progressive.

(Click for a larger version)

gmoney was gmoneybike

Saber New Life

From on Saber Owner to another...Like the setup. The line is dicontinued, did you get the frame recently, I know wheelworld carries the product.
    Were looking at balz

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Hear is my bike

Hi my name is yaron and Im from israel
    I just broke my 5.5 after working them too hard/
    I took the Xtention Explor
    I put DHX air in the rear
    and fox 36 rc2 in the front .
    Full xt
    I took them to my DH course were i ride my 5.5 before
    It was great