Thread: Astrix Stryke

mtbr member

Astrix Stryke

Anyone has tried one? I damn like it too much! It's almost the same price as a Versus Blitz II but I don't know much about Astrix and also don't know how possible would be to get one with a different shock than the swinger it carries.

What I like is that it has the right travel I'm looking for with the burliness that just a few AM bikes use to have, plus the right size in the small package.

The disadvantage... well I dunno, but a Versus seems to me to be a better quality build... yet maybe the Stryker would be a better trail bike than a Blitz II. Further... a Preston would do maybe the same job an it's cheaper.

Just people with experience with this bike can tell. Anyone?
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss
    Anyone has tried one? I damn like it too much! It's almost the same price as a Versus Blitz II but I don't know much about Astrix and also don't know how possible would be to get one with a different shock than the swinger it carries.

What I like is that it has the right travel I'm looking for with the burliness that just a few AM bikes use to have, plus the right size in the small package.

The disadvantage... well I dunno, but a Versus seems to me to be a better quality build... yet maybe the Stryker would be a better trail bike than a Blitz II. Further... a Preston would do maybe the same job an it's cheaper.

Just people with experience with this bike can tell. Anyone?
    I'd consider both mentioned freeride frames. The Astrix is listed @ 9.1lb. plus a shock and you are @ 10lb. , Versus is probably close as well - both chunky FR units. My buddy has an Astrix and they spec. the HA w/ short Manitou forks . Looks like the Astrix has a 145mm Nixon and 6.5" rear travel ??? If you want an AM frame I think there are lighter options out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I'd consider both mentioned freeride frames. The Astrix is listed @ 9.1lb. plus a shock and you are @ 10lb. , Versus is probably close as well - both chunky FR units. My buddy has an Astrix and they spec. the HA w/ short Manitou forks . Looks like the Astrix has a 145mm Nixon and 6.5" rear travel ??? If you want an AM frame I think there are lighter options out there.
    Man, do you'r buddy then had a Stryke? Yup she has 6.5" travel. I wonder if the bike would be nice with a 160mm fork.

I'm looking for an AM/FR bike nice for trail stuff yet ready to take a 5 feet huck. My first option is by now the Preston.
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

ride hard take risks
    Either the Astrix or Versus will be sweet builds. The Motolink on the Astrix is very active & does a excellent job of smoothing out the rough with ease. The Versus is your typical 4 bar linkage with a well placed pivot at the BB & needle bearings at the pivots allowing it to accelerate off corners. Weight wise they are about equal the Stryke at 9.1 & the '08 Blitz is one pound lighter now so it should be roughly around 9 pounds.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Addicted
    May 2006
    STRYKE!

I personally own 2 Astrix frames. The Havoc and the Union. The quality is outstanding and the ride is amazing on both. The Motolink is very nice. It's very supple off the top but progressives at a very comfortable rate leaving the travel feeling nearly endless.

I am currently awaiting a Stryke(out of stock with Astrix in my size). My build will be modeled after a "do it all" bike. oriented towards fairly lightweight but able to run some Super D races, trail riding, and a bit o' freeriding.

The frame is designed around a 160mm fork. I think a 55 ATA(I'll be using one) or Lyrik would suit it very nicely.

Not only is the frame amazing. The folks at Astrix are incredibly nice and eager to help.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    I have been riding a Astrix Huckster (8inches of travel) for about a year now and I have put well over 750 miles...ridden NorthStar, UC Santa Cruz, Local DH and XC, well you name I have done it on this bike. So as you can imagine I would recommend the Stryke, which is a essentially the same frame just with less travel as the Huckster.

Also dealing with Astrix has been a pleasure, great customer service.

-R
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

ride hard take risks
    Hay Gauss hows the tough decision coming.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Well... My expenses are right now to the limit... so I decided to simply go for a Transition Vagrant. It's also a chance to learn on a HT as I'm sold to the idea is better to start on a HT and I have a lot to learn. I'd wait until the end of this year and maybe go for a FS, then who knows... maybe a new Giant Reign X or a SC VP Free, maybe a Versus maybe an Astrix, we'll see

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss
    Well... My expenses are right now to the limit... so I decided to simply go for a Transition Vagrant. It's also a chance to learn on a HT as I'm sold to the idea is better to start on a HT and I have a lot to learn. I'd wait until the end of this year and maybe go for a FS, then who knows... maybe a new Giant Reign X or a SC VP Free, maybe a Versus maybe an Astrix, we'll see
    Rode with rarroyo today & we traded bikes on a DH type trail we both know pretty well. Before buying a Versus I did look at the Astrix Huckster. We both had pros & cons about each others bikes. If you did a pool as to which was better it would be even. The fork on the Huckster was too stiff for me but the bike is fast & very active. It also was easier to jump, it would go straight off, this could have been the extra weight but it is a awesome bike. Being that the Astrix was stiff for me meant the Versus was soft for rarroyo, 25lb difference between us.
    Formotion Products

ronniering guy
    Apr 2005
    I got a 05 stryke.nothing out there rides as sweet as it once i put on a Pushed Fox dhx 5.0.The only thing i would do is make sure they got sealed bearings in the main pivot.Mine came with a shielded bearing (which is'nt sealed)in it and Astrix would not update to the correct units.I ride my stryke 4 days a week on National trail in Arizona.I broke my chainstay at 26 months and at least Astrix gave me a new on at dealer cost 75.00 The new one broke 9 months later.Now i just weld my own when they break and re heatreat them in a convection oven.Even after all this because of the the way i love ride i'm considering a new one with the straight seat post.Anyone out there got any feedback on this updated model.

mtbr member
    No experience on a Stryke but have been riding my 07 Huckster with no issues...I know BMXConvert was getting one not sure if he built it up already but maybe he can chime in. Do you have any pix of your bike?

-R
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

ronniering guy
    Apr 2005
    You can go to azboocrew.com there are some videos and pictures on our crew site