mtbr member
    Feb 2004

AStrix Havoc Linkage question and review?

Just wanted to know what type of ball bearings does the Havoc have? Has anyone develoved play in the rear linkage? Or better yet overall good and or bad stand points on the bike. So if anyone has the frame or has had some good Riding time spent on one let me know how the bike is .. Thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_winner1
    Just wanted to know what type of ball bearings does the Havoc have? Has anyone develoved play in the rear linkage? Or better yet overall good and or bad stand points on the bike. So if anyone has the frame or has had some good Riding time spent on one let me know how the bike is .. Thx.
    We have over 3 years of SERIOUS abuse on a Red Small frame Havoc and have had absolutly ZERO problems.The bearings are big and we have had no problems with them and never had to replace them. It has been a zero problem bike with a lot of miles and a lot of abuse. Here is a pic of Jimmy Wilson on Little Creek on October 1st of this year. THis is the same bike that his older brother Mike rode in the Red Bull Rampage. Mike just got home from Seattle and we are building him up a new 2006 White Havoc. We have the frame now and it is sweet!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuntavi
    We have over 3 years of SERIOUS abuse on a Red Small frame Havoc and have had absolutly ZERO problems.The bearings are big and we have had no problems with them and never had to replace them. It has been a zero problem bike with a lot of miles and a lot of abuse. Here is a pic of Jimmy Wilson on Little Creek on October 1st of this year. THis is the same bike that his older brother Mike rode in the Red Bull Rampage. Mike just got home from Seattle and we are building him up a new 2006 White Havoc. We have the frame now and it is sweet!
    Doug, I think its mandatory that we see some awesome pictures of Mike once the new bike is built up. I miss the days of old where you'd have weekly photo threads posted. Is Mike staying out there or going back out west on his mission again?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    I used this Havoc for two and half years of downhill racing, teaching camps, frreeriding, a few xc rides (it pedals really well) and had no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Doug, I think its mandatory that we see some awesome pictures of Mike once the new bike is built up. I miss the days of old where you'd have weekly photo threads posted. Is Mike staying out there or going back out west on his mission again?
    yep we need weekly mouth dropping photos..PLEASE
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Disco-Superfly
    i think you need to change your sig to 6000 club, congrats, eh
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuntavi
    NO offence but U guys need to work on employee training. I called up asking a price and all *long distance wise* and never really got one... Sort of wanting answers off the bat not a *uhhhh* when I'm waiting 1 min for a answer. I gota call Astrix Direct to get some answers. No this cover up the phone and ask the guy beside me thing. Cheers that's Customer input on product information.... Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    NO offence but U guys need to work on employee training. I called up asking a price and all *long distance wise* and never really got one... Sort of wanting answers off the bat not a *uhhhh* when I'm waiting 1 min for a answer. I gota call Astrix Direct to get some answers. No this cover up the phone and ask the guy beside me thing. Cheers that's Customer input on product information.... Good luck.
    I'm sure they got on it as quick as they could. I know that I wouldn't be able to remember the price of every single brand of components my shop carries off the top of my head, do you think you could? I don't think it's crazy to have to wait 1 minute to get an answer.
    Just my 2 cents, and I think we should try and keep the better posters around on this board. Hope you get the Havoc, they look sweet...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I love the bike. I have my bike just about 1 year and never had a problem. The Havoc can take a pounding. Check out www.readingracing.com the bikes ripped it up all year .

mtbr member

Our Shop

Here is the deal. We are a small shop, family owned and run and my boys and wife run the shop when I am not around. We have very low overhead and therefore can offer excellent prices. Sure the boys, especially the younger ones may not always know the answers to every question like some full time big bike www site, but we can kill their prices and service guaranteed. So, if you are patient and are willing to call back or better yet leave your number for me to call you back you could see the deals that we could swing you. Sorry for the lack of service, we will try to work on it.

mtbr member
    Mike is hanging around for good. We spent the evening building up his new Astrix Havoc and plan on a ride this Saturday. Yeah, expect some serious photos coming up. We rode Niphi's Twist yesterday and the guys were doing some sick lines. I was camaraless and kicking myself for not packing it.

mtbr member
    You sound like you have a great shop there, do you ever find it a pain when shooting pics of having too big of a lense? I ran into this problem a few weeks ago and had to get farther away, and basically ran out of trail. Is a 70-200 on a 20 D a little big? I was about 10ft back and had to cut the riders head off to fit into the pic.

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn
    You sound like you have a great shop there, do you ever find it a pain when shooting pics of having too big of a lense? I ran into this problem a few weeks ago and had to get farther away, and basically ran out of trail. Is a 70-200 on a 20 D a little big? I was about 10ft back and had to cut the riders head off to fit into the pic.
    I think the canon 20D(as most digital SLRs) has a 1.6 multiplier on the camera because its digital so actually your 70-200 is about a 105-350(a tad big for if your standing close and want a full body and bike shot with some scenery) id suggest an 18-70 or 24-120.
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

mtbr member
    Those frames are soo nice. I drool everytime i see one.

joel

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Thread moved to the new "Custom DH/FR/Urban Builders" board.

mtbr member

Rock Solid

I have been riding Havoc hard for three seasons now and I cannot find a major flaw. There is a bit of vertical play coming from the linkage but it does not affect the actual riding, just parking lot tests. It can be solved with a bushing swap. I see all sorts of bikes come and go with this or that problem but I honestly cannot see why I would need a different bike, it pedals well, corners well, predictable and tough as hell. Some people think it weighs a bit much (49lbs) but at 6'2" and 200 lbs, it feels very normal to me but this the only bike I ride so 9" of travel doesn't bother me at all. Recommended to anyone who wants a solid DH bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Good job! Buy An Astrix !!!!

Let me give yah the lowdown on this machine ,,, IT ROCKS MAN !!! I mean its so tank and so awsomely awsome !!! its handles so well !! its speeds into corners like faster than any other bike ive ridn !! once you get it upto speed it goes into its own dimention !! jumps, drops, rock sections are all eatn for breaky on this thing !!! The forks are angeled so good that it just simply plows through anything it encounters !!! The rear suspension setup is tank and works really well .. never had any problems with it .. don't even worry bout the bairings lol there like truck bairing lol huge !! all in all the best bike i have ever had the plessure of owning and riding worth every dollar buy one !

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just bought a used Astrix.
    I've only had it on one ride so far. But so far so good! I am trying to get it setup so that It doesn't buck me off when I hit a jump. Any clues?
    Rear is running a DHX 5.0 which is probably going to get sent to Push here pretty soon. Front is a Fox 40. I am super stoked!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    mmm sounds like you need to turn your rebound on your shock up a bit man ... just so i don't bounce back so fast .. and if that don't work lol lean back more