mtbr member

Another Pick a Bike Thread

Seeking comments:

I have narrowed my short list down to three bikes, and would like to hear some opinions from others. I put this here cause I will list them in order of my (current) preference leaning.

Bike 1:
    Canfield Balance -
    Pro's - Not many others will be riding them, rearward axle path, steel ft/ alum rt frame.
    Cons's - Limited fork choices to keep HA in the 66-68 range, no real 'build kit' available from manufacturer

Intense 6.6
    Pro's - VPP, better angles with new longer SC Forks
    Con's - Already own 1 Intense (Is that really a con...), bearing issue rumors still float around

SC Nomad
    Pro's - I like the looks (looks like the old Chevy Nomad), good build kit prices from SC
    Con's - Delivery times.., seems like everyone will have one

They will all be setup with a lightish FR setup, Fox 36 VAN or Marz 66 RCX2, or shorter 5-6" for the Balance, Avid 7, SRAM 9x, Front triple etc..

Please discuss.

Thanks in advance,
    Marc
    Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today, and the problem seems to be we're picking up the pieces on the ricochet

conjoinicorned
    i ride a balfa 2step, which is very very similar to the balance. i believe that the parallel link suspension is the best thing going for FR stuff, and i believe in small bike companies (like balfa and canfield).
    nothing wrong with the other two bikes on that note (i prefer the intense myself), but i'd support canfield over the big guys any day.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sorry to say it, but you are missing one that should be considered: Sinister Splinter MX

I've looked everywhere for a new bike and NOTHING felt as good as the Sinister. I rode VPP bikes, FSR bikes, simple single pivots, DW bikes, Maestro bikes, TONS. Nothing felt as solid and predictable as the Sinister's linkage activated single pivot. I do not know why the bike pedals as well as it does. Not too many people have them, they are crazy adjustable, tough as anything, and are really, really well built. I demoed one set up with only 4" (you can get up to 6") of travel and it felt bottomless. Superb bike.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    Sorry to say it, but you are missing one that should be considered: Sinister Splinter MX

I've looked everywhere for a new bike and NOTHING felt as good as the Sinister. I rode VPP bikes, FSR bikes, simple single pivots, DW bikes, Maestro bikes, TONS. Nothing felt as solid and predictable as the Sinister's linkage activated single pivot. I do not know why the bike pedals as well as it does. Not too many people have them, they are crazy adjustable, tough as anything, and are really, really well built. I demoed one set up with only 4" (you can get up to 6") of travel and it felt bottomless. Superb bike.
    Did you ride a Balance?

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    flymybike, when are you going to have the F1and Balance in stock?

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    flymybike, when are you going to have the F1and Balance in stock?
    We should have the F1 on the 23rd in our warehouse. The Balance will be about two to three weeks later.

here is a preview! The Balance shot was before the rears where complete and the links needed paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flymybike; 02-15-2006 at 09:48 AM.

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    man, your bikes are getting better looking by the hour, that blue F1 with powder coat white is a keeper! good job guy's. gonna have to save my money.

regards
    Last edited by pvflyer; 02-15-2006 at 11:37 PM.

mtbr member

To all that have responded thus far...

To TechFreak:
    The linkage on the Sinister is wild looking, and the adjustable linkage is neat, but at this point in my search, I am not going to add a new bike to the mix. Not to knock anything, but it is also a bit heavy for what I am trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    Did you ride a Balance?
    Lance, seeing as you chimed in, I am going to ask a few questions that Chris hasn't had time to answer yet about the Balance.

1) When I mentioned to Chris that I was going to put a triple front ring on the Balance, he said that the parallel linkage and a triple are not the way to go. We got sidetracked (imagine that) on him trying to convert me to a SS rider. The gist of what I got was that the Balance would be better with a double/bashguard and an LRP or evil DRS. Could you elaborate on the best chainline setup for the balance, and the parallel linkage vs chainline topic please.

2) Does the Balance have ISCG mounts? If not, is setting up a DRS type device going to involve my dremel tool?

3) Which coil/oil fork would be best for the Balance in your opinion? I really want/need a 20mm through axle.Chris says the Marz 66-RCX2 is way too tall at 535mm (150mm travel) or 555mm (170mm travel) axle to crown.

Respond back when you can. Thanks in advance.

I am excited to see that you guys are almost ready for shipping!!

Peace,
    Marc
    Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today, and the problem seems to be we're picking up the pieces on the ricochet

mtbr member

Ordered

I ordered the Balance today. Chris says frames will be in next week maybe. I am psyched....

Marc

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    guy's we just received a Black 06, F1, in our werehouse today! and i must say that thing is sic! i was eskeptical about the chromolly frame, now i'm a believer. the litle details on the frame are so cool!! Chris, thanks for the prompt service it's nice to do businesses with you guys! i'll post some pics of the frame, next week. good weekend, everyone.
    S.n.a.k.e, even though i never rode the Balance i think you will be very happy,congrats.

regards

I bike long tyme.
    [QUOTE=pvflyer]guy's we just received a Black 06, F1, in our werehouse today! i'll post some pics of the frame, next week. good weekend, everyone.

Hey PVFLYER!! I'm in the hunt for a black '06 F1 myself and would definitely appreciate it if you did post some photos of this frame. I'll be watching. Thanks!
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    [QUOTE=Secace]
    guy's we just received a Black 06, F1, in our werehouse today! i'll post some pics of the frame, next week. good weekend, everyone.

Hey PVFLYER!! I'm in the hunt for a black '06 F1 myself and would definitely appreciate it if you did post some photos of this frame. I'll be watching. Thanks!
    i'll try to get some shots today.

I bike long tyme.
    i'll try to get some shots today.
    Appreciate that.

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    Secace, here is some pix. the frame still needs to be put togheter, i'll try to get the weight
    for that frame with the rocco rear shock,C'YA.

regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bike long tyme.
    Thanks for the photos. I'm kinda surprised it doesn't come assembled. No matter, just surprised. Looks better with the white linkages than I thought it was going to. What size did you order? Yeah, I'm very interested in the frame weight with the shock installed. You were reading my mind. Thanks again!

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    size, medium. the assembly ain't bad, if you have the proper tools, and this flat black with powder coat white is just awesome, nice touch! if anybody out there looking for a new big hit frame, they should consider this one.

I bike long tyme.
    It's the one I'm going after. These frames are just so killer. I'm anxious to hear the frame weight once you get it all bolted up which I'm sure you'll hardly be able to wait to get that done!! I'd probably call off work just to stay home and wrench. I'll be going with a Fox 5.0 and more than likely a small. I'm kinda on the borderline between a small and a medium. Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have not ridden a Balance, but they sure look good! I have tooled about a bit on an F1 which was very, very nice. Canfield does great work. Enjoy the new bike!

For what it is worth, the 06 Splinter is supposed to be quite a bit lighter than the 05.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Secace
    It's the one I'm going after. These frames are just so killer. I'm anxious to hear the frame weight once you get it all bolted up which I'm sure you'll hardly be able to wait to get that done!! I'd probably call off work just to stay home and wrench. I'll be going with a Fox 5.0 and more than likely a small. I'm kinda on the borderline between a small and a medium. Decisions, decisions.
    Secace, the frame weigh in 10.8 lbs, shock and rear axel on it.
    keep your tires side up in the air!

I bike long tyme.
    Dang! That's way lighter than I thought it was going to be. I was guessing about 13# with the chromo front. I ought to be able to hit a decent target weight with the base frame skimming the low end like that. Thanks for the update. Hope you enjoy the ride!

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    Dude, my bad! 11.8 lbs.

I bike long tyme.
    No prob. That's still way lighter than I thought it was gonna be. I gotta call Utah and get mine going.