Film Maker
    Jul 2006

2stage bikes NewZealand Bike Build

Hey all
    I thought Id put up some pics of my new DH Rig from NewZealand
    Its a bike designed in NewZealand and sold direct from www.2stagebikes.com

These guys are onto a great design and have refined it into a bike that is built to last and rides,Corners and Jumps Great.

I love the ride , It features a super suple first stage which is fully active (set to 50% sag) handled by a manitou 4way swinger air.
    once youve gotten thru the 5" that shock provides the 2nd shock is engaged to handle any big hits.

The way its set up is that the 2nd shock is locked under pedal input , and when you need a full 9" of travel you probably wont be pedalling so the design works wicked.

hope you like it.

Cheers
    StyledAirtime
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StyledAirtime
    Hey all
    I thought Id put up some pics of my new DH Rig from NewZealand
    Its a bike designed in NewZealand and sold direct from www.2stagebikes.com

These guys are onto a great design and have refined it into a bike that is built to last and rides,Corners and Jumps Great.

I love the ride , It features a super suple first stage which is fully active (set to 50% sag) handled by a manitou 4way swinger air.
    once youve gotten thru the 5" that shock provides the 2nd shock is engaged to handle any big hits.

The way its set up is that the 2nd shock is locked under pedal input , and when you need a full 9" of travel you probably wont be pedalling so the design works wicked.

hope you like it
    Cheers
    StyledAirtime
    that is so genious...so simple, yet so effective...wow a mokey with a hammer could have thought of this. yet no one did...im so amazed at the simplicty of it, does it work as well as they say it does?

props to 2satge bikes because this is amazing...does it seem like it will hold?

jzt
    mtbr member
    any close up pics of the idler pulley area? specifically where it attaches to the frame? Cos I know of some bikes where the bolt holding the idler pulley to the frame got bent out of shape over time due to the amount of stress placed on it thru pedalling.

Film Maker
    Jul 2006
    yeah the bike is built tough as due to this being there first go at a production bike , its built like a brick **** house , other companys have had a go at this before , it says so on there website but I dont think any followed it right through to a production bike ,I mean there are some proto 2 shock bikes that are similar , the 2stage is refined and tested and tested some more till they brought it out , I got one of the first 4 made.

It is tough ,the shocks havent had any problems and I helped out with R and D for the bike and in 2 years we never blew a shock , except 1 ,which was a simple rebuild because of a bad seal , they ran the shocks for 2years without servicing them in one of the frames on purpose to see when they would **** them selves and they never did , shocks can handle a change of up to 100 degrees ,these ones only increase 4 or 5 degress during DH runs and all day thrashing ,the design is easy on the shocks but works great , feels like a big coil shock that pedals wicked. and it brings back that active fun feeling to riding ,like the old FOXS ,

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Jono, thought I'd join the bandwaggon and post my 2Stage rig (Zed8)
    To all those reading, my Zed8 is the 8inch version, and rides just as nice as the 9 but with obviously 1 less inch of travel.
    I love this bike, it rides, jumps and corners like a dream, and is very fast. The pedaling platform is amazing, especially so when you consider that neither of the shocks incorprate any platform type valving.

Cheers
    DhGazza

http://www.vorb.org.nz/groups-user-4388.html

www.2stagebikes.com
    www.onehelmets.com
    Last edited by DHGazza; 07-24-2006 at 10:03 PM.

Film Maker
    Jul 2006
    Hey Gazza
    Man I saw your bike on the net ages ago , AND I Love the build ,its one tough muther of a bike!!

Almost made me get a Zed ,But the Elite caught my eye.
    These bikes are awesome!
    This is a animation from there website on how they work , sums it up great , the first shock does all the work of keeping the bike tracking the ground , then when you hit the big stuff the 2nd kicks in to keep you on the race line

"Its All Good"
    Looks great, cool to see them into production, remember reading about it in NZ before I moved to Spain..................... Go the K1W1's.............. yeah ha....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    From what I gather the "first stage" shock bottoms out before the 2nd shock takes effect, correct? If it is bottoming, that's pretty amazing that the shocks lasted that long.

I wonder how they keep the progression between shocks linear.. seems as there might be a weird time delay in between stages..

appx how much do the frames weigh?

Film Maker
    Jul 2006
    well , the shocks have lasted a whole race season for the race team without replacement and they are still running then in Morzine now.
    my top shock is sweet as ,it does a lot of work but air shocks can handle a temperature change of up to 100 degrees ,in testing on DH runs and all day riding the shocks gained 5 degrees in temp and returned to normal with in 2-5 minutes of rest time.

so it is made to last ,and it works, and there is no transfer time between the shock,it feels like a single coil shock ,but better

You Are What You Is
    I'm digging those frames. Too bad they don't really make a Large or even XL, or I might seriously consider it.