mtbr member
    Aug 2004

2008 Transition GranMal redesign!

Hey guys,

I really liked the Transition GranMal. I took the liberty of doing a quick Photoslop hack of what I think the GranMal should look like. Here's what I've done and why:

Slackened the seat tube and placed in forward to allow for adjustable chainstay lengths without hitting it with the tire under full compression. Also a good way to go for Service road climbing to some sweet DH. Inspired by Knolly bikes.

I took design hints from Intense and Santa Cruz with the traingulated rear end. It should provide more strength and stiffness for a given weight. It also makes the bike look cooler. IMO, Intense and Santa Cruz sell most of their bikes based on how cool they look!

This model of Gran Mal also has the adjustable geometry with the added bonus of adjustable chain stay which makes for a better "do it all" bike.

On top of all this I would also shorten the travel and raise the seat tube up for climbing. I'm thinking more along the lines of Turner Highline geo.

Suspension still remains a single pivot, with future possibility of a DW like design.

What do you guys think? I will send this to Transition and see what they think too, but after a better Photoslop job and maybe a 3D CAD model. If they don't make it, then I just might have to start making my own frames! (I have a propane torch and some sauder, for the ultimate in build strength!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    you're design looks really overbuilt, as the gran mal already is. Cool concept though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    holy crap the front end of that thing is a solid chunk of metal. plus why would you want to reduce the travel? it's a dh race bike, if you wanna climb get a dirbag or preston.

General Rabble-Rouser
    in the latter half of 2007 we are supposed to see a re-design of the Gran Mal, it's why they haven't been showing off the Mal at all at any of the expos

CNC Dude
    Oct 2005
    I know Kevin and some of the boys at Transition, and they're doing great things for not a whole lot of cash - but if you want a Knolly, why not just pull the trigger? I looked at a lot of other bikes before deciding to suck it up and get the Knolly. My Delirium T rules!

mtbr member
    The extra gussets look too much, and im guessing your suspension design wouldn't work well at all. If you triangulated the upper link you might be getting somewhere.
    Extracting stings from wasps in flight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I hope you'll be sending some royalties to Knolly.... Or did you happen to come up with that seat tube arrangement and push-linkage yourself?