mtbr member
    Sep 2006

2007 Preston FR - Which fork should I get??

OK, I definitely have my heart set on one of those new 2007 Preston FR's in white. However, I haven't decided which fork to get...

I was thinking of getting the 2007 Z1 RC2, but it comes in that hideous "retro" orange and bolt on crowns. What the hell was Marzocchi thinking?! Then I thought I could get the 2006 Z1 Light that has had excellent reviews on this site, but they're really hard to find.

So then I thought that the Fox Vanilla 36 would be a good choice, and then I saw that for a few extra dollars, I could get the new 66 SL 1 ATA. I could adjust the travel from 140-170mm. That'd work out great for climbing. So now I'm stuck between these two forks.

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a 06 Z1 FR1 on my 06 preston. I have ridden a Z1 for the past 5 years and have found them to be indestructible. If you are going to ride the Preston as an all-around bike I would recommend a fork with ETA or some sort of travel adjust to steepen the HT angle for the climbs. This makes a big difference when climbing the Preston.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I might just get the 2006 Z1 Sport. It looks pretty comparable to the Vanilla, having both rebound and compression adjustments. However, it doesn't have ETA like the Z1 Light. I really don't think I'll miss the ETA because I'm coming off a '05 Enduro with a Fox Float 130 RL that hardly had any adjustments AND, it's only $419 on clearance from jensonusa.com. I could put that extra $400 in the bank and see what'll pop up next year. That is, unless anyone else has any suggestions...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noexcuse4you
    That is, unless anyone else has any suggestions...
    RS Pike
    IMO a really good match for the Preston.
    U-turn kicks ass for climbing and such.