mtbr member
    Feb 2006

'06 preston fr shock size modification?

Hi all,

My preston is finally the way i always dreamed of it being:
    - 06 med preston fr frame
    - 06 zocchi 66 SL's
    - vanilla R 950lb shock

As i was fitting the vanilla i wondered if anyone has attempted to fit a larger shock (the DHX came to mind) by either changing the rocker arms or modifying the frame mount position???????
    Is there any way of doing this without messing up the excellent geometry?

I know dangerboy did rockers for an older preston to bring it from 4 to 5" - did that keep the same shock eye-to-eye?

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    IIRC, on the old prestons the DB plates had a 4 and 5 inch mode, and used the same shock, just changing the top mounting location on the plates. I bet you could call up Transition and ask em, they would know if another shock would fit.

good luck

Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've got the DB plates on my 05 and yes they do use the same shock size. The only way I could see doing a larger shock would be to move the shock mount forward. Just shoving one in the existing mount, if it would even fit, would jack the geometry to sh!t.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    so would it need to be a combination of different plates and a revised frame mounting position???

i'm thinking its probably not worth it; i doubt i'll find the limit of the vanilla-r

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think a revised mount would be the biggest part and not so much the plates....but then again i'm not completely sure. Honestly, I think if the shock thing is that much of an issue, you'd be better off selling your current frame and getting the 07'.