mtbr member
    Aug 2006

06 Preston: Build, Buy and Component ?s

Iím thinking about buying a Preston. No LBS so I will get it from Adrenaline Bikes. They have several build kits of there own as well as offering it with the Transition build with component upgrades and mix-n-match. This is my first FS and havenít been around bikes for a while so the component info is kind of like Greek to me.
    Can someone help me chose wisely? I am 6í1Ē+ and 200#. Daily I will ride gravel/dirt roads to some fairly flat trails with small jumps and drops. Once a month I will take it to the mountains for trail/xc with some free ride. Nothing extreme, no racing, no extreme DH, but would like the suspension to be able to take what the frame is capable of as my confidence and ability grows as well as small bump compliant for the daily stuff. I like the idea of longer travel forks with the ability to adjust travel. I definitely want a nice fork but donít want to shell out major $ if I donít need it for what I do. As far as the other components, I just want them to be reliable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would seriously consider waiting until the 07's that were just announced come out. There is one fairly big upgrade that will be worth the wait. That being said I have an 05' and love it. For small bump compliance I would go with the Romic rear shock as opposed to the Swinger. The Swinger does better on pedal bob but not as well on small bump compliance. Either is good though and each has it's pros and cons. I say whatever you do don't skimp on the fork. IMO it is the most important piece on the bike next to the frame. I'm running a Fox 36 Talus RC2 on mine and while it's nice to have the adjustability i don't feel i'd pay extra for it again. The fork performs well with the Preston.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We're about the same size.....6'1" / 200#. I have an 05 Preston with Z1 on the front. I use the bike for everything--Dj's, Dh, XC....you name it, it does it. I got the frame/fork combo from Transition and built up the rest myself. If you're a pretty smart shopper, you can really build it up for a pretty cheap price. I'm excited that the 07's will feature the 7.5 in. shock--a big improvement on an already solid design.

OK....so you asked about components---let's just try and make it simple for ya. Since you do an all-around mix of riding, a nice blend of tough and light will do the trick. The frame itself is......I won't say heavy, I'll say "burly." Where I would try and keep the weight down is in the wheelset area and cranks. Nothing too burly since you're not doing any Pinkbike 20 footers or anything. My build is somewhere around 38 lbs --- Performance Loco wheelset, Race Face cranks, Juicy 5 brakes, Easton stem and handlebars, WTB seat, Kenda single ply Blue Grooves, XC tubes, and SRAM shifters and derailleurs. So you can see....mine isn't the lightest thing in the world, but it isn't too heavy that I can't haul it around the mountains here in NC. Good luck with your build and let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a pic of my 05.....
    Excuse me, please.

The Sentinel

I had similar goals to yours...

...so I bought a 2005 Preston. The '05 has a slightly steeper head angle, so it makes a good all-mountain ride. The '06 has a more slack head angle, so it's a bit better as a freeride bike. I'm a bit shorter than you, so I went with a size small...you'd obviously need something bigger. For typical all-mountain riding, I use a Marzocchi AM1 up front. If I were doing a lot of freeride-type riding, I'd switch to something with a 20 mm thru axle...like a Z1. I have to second the comment about the Romic out back. I have another bike that has a Manitou Swinger in the rear, and the Romic has much better small bump compliance. For '07, Transition has steepened the head angle a little (somewhere between the '05 and '06), uses round tubing, and has repositioned the rear shock and redesigned the rear rocker arms to provide a better shock ratio and to allow the use of a 7.5" shock...more of an industry standard than the 6.5 they used before. This will allow a much wider variety of shocks to be used. I'm really excited to see the '07 Preston and Covert...I'd like to have one of each!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Designated Bleeder

Preston Choice

Congratulations on choosing the Preston. You have choosen wisely.

I have a 06 Preston with a 2005 Marzocchi All Mountain 1 on the front (yes, that ugly tan fork). First of all, I love it. I can keep up with my XC buddies and ride it at the freeride park. Its not the best bike for either but it does the job if you can't afford multiple rigs.

I ride a Large frame at 6' 180 lbs. I would not go any smaller. The large feels just right for trail riding and light freeride. I suppose a medium would be better on jumps and big drops but I don't spend too much time at the jump park so its no big deal to me.

I have two shocks for the back that I trade out as needed. I use the Romic for DH and FR parks and a Manitou 4 way swinger air for normal riding. Honestly, it rides amazing with the Swinger Air shock. Its nice to have the SPV on long climbs and XC rides.

I ride pretty hard so I built my rig up with most freeride style components and big tires and it came out to around 36 lbs. Its not going to win races but it will get you too the top of the hill and then you can burn your XC buddies on the way back down.

That said, this bike is the most solid, stable ride I have ever had. The balance is great and I have no fear that it will even flex much less break under me. And wait till you see the way it hammers berms. Butter.

As for the 06 vs. 07, you may want to wait if you would rather the 7.5 x 2 shock. Its really the big difference. That and no more 4" travel option. I actually ride my 06 in 4" travel mode quite a bit. It pedals much stiffer in that setting. But the 6.5 x 1.5 shock is not a standard so its a little harder to find one if you need it.

See if you can't get an old stock 06 when the 07's first come out. You won't be disappointed...

SpK

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks to every one.
    Looks like the Transition build has changed a lot on the 07 and 06 is not archived:

Is the Fox Van R and Marz Z1 Sport good enough? It takes about $500 more to get the DHX air and Z1RC2....$2800...wow. I know you have to pay for quality but this is making the close out Kona Coiler for $1200 + $300 or so for shock upgrade look pretty good when your talking about first FS. Maybe the 06 price will drop like Special K suggested.

Another question: The Preston has a 73 angle ST. Because I have a 35" inseam with long upper legs and shorter torso, these steep ST bikes make me feel like I am trying to pedle behind my back. Would a set back post throw off the geometry since the wheel base isn't that long?

$1,039 USD Fox Van R
    Fox DHX 5.0 Coil $160
    Fox DHX 5.0 Air $200
    Marzocchi Roco Air R $35
    Frame with Fork Combos (Frame with Fox Van R rear shock) Fork
    $1,476 USD RockShox Pike 426 U-Turn Coil 95-140mm
    $1,489 USD RockShox Domain 318 U-Turn 115-160mm
    $1,343 USD Marzocchi Z1 Sport
    $1,584 USD Marzocchi Z1 RC2 ETA
    Complete Bike(Frame with Fox Van R rear shock) Fork
    $2,459 USD RockShox Pike 426 U-Turn Coil 95-140mm
    $2,472 USD RockShox Domain 318 U-Turn 115-160mm
    $2,712 USD Fox 36 Van R
    $2,792 USD Fox 36 Talas R
    $2,326 USD Marzocchi Z1 Sport
    $2,567 USD Marzocchi Z1 RC2 ETA
    Complete Bike Upgrades Upgrade
    $100 USD X9 Drivetrain
    $125 USD Formula K24 Brakes
    $175 USD Avid Juicy 7's

Component Description
    Shifter: SRAM X7 Trigger (front & rear)
    Derailleur: SRAM X7 Mid-cage (rear) SRAM X-Gen (front)
    Cranks: Truvativ Hussefelt 170mm
    BB: Truvativ Howitzer External BB
    Chainrings: Truvativ - 22/32 w/PC Bash
    Cassette: SRAM PG950 11-32
    Chain: KMC Z9000
    Chainguide: N/A
    Handlebar: Truvativ Hussefelt 31.8 x 680 x 50
    Headset: FSA Orbit XLII
    Stem: Truvativ XR 31.8 5į 75mm
    Brakes: Hayes HFX 9 Hydro (8" Front & 6" Rear)
    Wheels: TBC Revolution 32
    Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.35 60a
    Tubes: Maxxis Welterweight
    Grips: ODI Rogue Lock-on
    Seat: TBC - Park n' Ride
    Seatpost: Truvativ XR DC 30.0mm x 350mm
    Pedals: Truvativ Hussefelt

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ok I just read all the posts again and I realize I was asking about the 06. It comes with the Romic and Adrenaline Bikes has a Fox 36 Van RL fork in their enduro build ($2300) for a little less than the Marz Sport on Transition build....Whoops...but the Fox is 130mm while the Marz is 150. Add the improved stuff of the 07 to the equation and...I'M SO CONFUSED!!! It sucks when you over analyz everything and you suck at analyzing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    36 is a 160mm fork... after many convo's with kyle at transition he agrees that the 36van is a fantastic fork with this bike, with the 07's you can couple it with a dhx coil and for 100 bucks you can get the x9 drivetrain and add another upgrade for the juicy brakes... helluva bike man...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How is this bike for drops.. not sure if i should go with teh bottle rocket or preston.. i do alot of dirt jumpin and freeriding, not sure how this bike will stand up.. its seems this is more of a XC bike but i dont really know

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    hard to call the preston an XC bike when they are near 40lbs built up... they are exactly what they call them, a short travel freeride bike...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Preston does extremely well on both drops and DJs. It is definately not a cross country bike and is all FR. The frame is solid under you, flies true, and the frame looks even burlier in person than it does in pics i've seen around. The Bottlerocket has recently been getting similar rave reviews as the Preston but i've not actually seen or ridden one. Either would not dissapoint but I say go with the bottlerocket if you want more plush. Here's a jump and a drop for ya. BTW I messed up on a road gap a couple of weeks ago and took a digger from 10+ feet. The bike was fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

bottle Rocket vs. Preston

thanks for your help,

I guess the decision maker is going to come down to $$$$. Did you take your preston downhillin.. how did it hold up??

I think ive seen u riding before did you build those jumps up at the don??

Designated Bleeder

Jumping and DHin'

I have jumped, hucked and DHed my Preston several times and I have never had any worries about the frame. Its solid. According to Transition you can even put a 8" dual crown on it if you want. Yikes.

Seriously though, strength is one thing the Preston does not lack. Its also very balanced and feels stable in the air. It also just rips berms and high speed downhill trails. Its not a downhill bike though and after a day of hard DH, you feel a little rattled.

The Preston, in my opinion is the perfect do anything bike. You can take it on a long XC ride (if you have the legs for it), you can freeride on it, you can DH on it, you can take it to the bike park, etc. It may never do any of those things as well as a devoted XC or DH bike but if you can only afford one bike and you want to do it all, get the Preston.

Just my two cents...

SpK

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I second and agree with what SpecialK just said.