mtbr member
    Sep 2008

xcl too much bike?

im in the market fo my first full suspension bike and like what ive seen/read abut the xcl. my concern is that its more bike than i need. i live in nj and ride mainly xc, also ive only been riding for about a year. so im concerned that the extra beef that this bike packs might go to waste for what i ride and ill end up pedaling around those extra pounds with no noticed benifit. im also looking at a rocky mountain element 50, db sortie 3, and an iron horse mkiii.

thanks alot!

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Are you a big guy? Then by all means get the XCL. You'll be able to ride it anywhere.

If you're a lightweight (< 160 lbs) a Titus MotoLite might be a better choice.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    im 5'11 210............. so yes a little big

nerfherder
    My opinion, for what it's worth, is that extra pounds on a bike better have some benefit be it a lower price or a stronger frame. In this case, I think we're getting a stronger frame and a decent price. I think the quality of the XCL is probably higher than the RM, DB, or IH. I've never owned any of those others, and this is just my perception, so take it for what it's worth.

The XCL is a little more girthy but what's an extra few ounces if you're riding with the clydesdale club? You'll probably be better served shaving some weight off the rider (no offense intended) than the bike.

Also, a good set of lightweight custom wheels made for your weight and riding style will probably make a bigger difference in the bike 'feeling' light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcf811
    im 5'11 210............. so yes a little big
    I'm 6', 190 ish, and the medium XCL is absolutely perfect for me. I ride the very rocky, rooty, usually slippery trails of New England, and this bike just slays everything. Things that I've unsuccessfully tried to roll over for years, just happen, on this bike. Buy it. You won't regret it.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Frame weight is about 1/4 of the bike weight. If you want to worry about weight I suggest other areas. A solid frame is confidence inspiring. I also came from a pretty XC background and worried about the XCL being "more" than I need. It probably is. That said, it still handles very quick and feels very nimble on the trail. It's just fun to ride. I don't do jumps, and any drop over 24" will probably make me wet my shorts, but I can go out and ride as long as I can and whatever I can do, the XCL is more than up to. Mine built up at just over 28lbs without breaking the bank. The Blur XC I had before weighed just as much and didn't feel nearly as solid or comfortable on long rides.

mtbr member
    I agree with just about everyone's comments. Thats why we offer that handbuilt wheelset at only 3.5lbs. to get the bike weight under 30lbs. without breaking the bank.

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I'm looking at the XCL... I currently ride an S-works Enduro and a Heckler... I love the enduro but I'd like more of a hammer it around faster bike. I'm not sure if 5" will be enough travel for me but even more importantly, I ride XL in both those bikes. The Heckler XL might fit me slightly better - I think a Heckler XL frame is a lil bit smaller overall. Anyway, no XCL in XL size???

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I'm looking at the XCL... I currently ride an S-works Enduro and a Heckler... I love the enduro but I'd like more of a hammer it around faster bike. I'm not sure if 5" will be enough travel for me but even more importantly, I ride XL in both those bikes. The Heckler XL might fit me slightly better - I think a Heckler XL frame is a lil bit smaller overall. Anyway, no XCL in XL size???
    How tall are you? What is your inseam? The seat tube length is 21" so can accomodate people over 6 feet tall.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I ride XL in both those bikes. The Heckler XL might fit me slightly better - I think a Heckler XL frame is a lil bit smaller overall. Anyway, no XCL in XL size???
    I think the Enduro is about an inch longer in the top tube that the Heckler. The Large XCL is approx .5" shorter than the Heckler, and the seat tube measurements of all three are within .5" Unless you are looking for a stretched out XC feel (long top tube) the Large XCL should be similar to your current fits.

mtbr member
    I am 6'1" tall with a 32" inseam. I have a little bit shorter legs than average with a longer torso so I need the frame bigness in the top tube, not the seat tube.

The Enduro is listed as having a 25"/25.8" top tube length. Here is how they measure it, not sure how Chumba does:
    First top tube line is measured horizontally from center of HT to center of ST
    The second line is the actual TT measurement from top of HT to top of ST

mtbr member

[QUOTE=gticlay]I am 6'1" tall with a 32" inseam. I have a little bit shorter legs than average with a longer torso so I need the frame bigness in the top tube, not the seat tube.

The Enduro is listed as having a 25"/25.8" top tube length. Here is how they measure it, not sure how Chumba does:
    First top tube line is measured horizontally from center of HT to center of ST
    The second line is the actual TT measurement from top of HT to top of ST[/QUOTE

You can create an almost identical actual top tube length with a Thomson laidback seatpost and a longer stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks for everyones input, but i guess my next question would be is it possible to get one of these bad boys in the 26-28 lb range with out having to drop 5k+ on an all xtr bike. ive also had my eye on the iron horse mkiii ( either comp or elite) on rscycle.

Flying Goat
    thanks for everyones input, but i guess my next question would be is it possible to get one of these bad boys in the 26-28 lb range with out having to drop 5k+ on an all xtr bike. ive also had my eye on the iron horse mkiii ( either comp or elite) on rscycle.
    Might be possible to get it at 28lbs

My buddy's rig... 29lbs

What about the VF2??? Might be more what you're looking for...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i think it might be too but in this lovley economy i dont have 2k just for a frame

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Easy way to get close to 28lbs

Med Chumba XCL anodized Grey RP23 (7lbs exact)
    Fox Talas R
    08 XT Cranks, cassette, shifters, derailleurs, and brakes
    thompson stem - 5 degree 100mm
    thompson post
    WTB silverado saddle
    Easton monkeylite Sl bar
    Chumba grips

And the wheels (built by Chumba)
    stan's 355 rims on kong blue hubs, matching blue nipples
    Maxxis ignitor's wire bead

Total weight 28.3 lbs
    Price under 3K (about 2700)