mtbr member
    Jul 2007

XCL suspension creak?

I've got an obnoxious creak coming from the top shock mounting bolt. I can adjust the noise to varying degrees of obnoxiousness by loosening this screw, but can only make the creaking stop when it feels way too loose, so loose that it creates some slop in the movement.

Any suggestions on how to make this bolt stop making noise?

thx

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Clean everything

I've had a bit of experience with creaks when I had a blur. The two times my XCL creaked were 1) the dreaded loose reverse thread pivot bolt and 2) dirt on the aforementioned bolt after I tightened it.

It sounds like there is some gunk somewhere: pull the bolt, clean it. Clean the holes the bolt goes through. Clean the ends where the shock fixtures contact the frame. A little dirt or left over loctite in those areas would make a very noticeable creak.

My XCL has been blessedly quiet since I actually took the time to do clean work.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Trails4Two; 09-01-2008 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Call us Tues 8:30 AM Pacific or now on the non 800?
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

mtbr member
    I have the same problem. Would a little grease be okay?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tried cleaning, no help. Tried greasing, no help.

Spoke briefly with a Chumba tech, sorry I missed his name, who mentioned the reverse thread bolt near the bottom bracket that Trails4Two mentioned above, but that seems pretty solid and trouble-free.

mtbr member
    How old are the bushings on your shock? Maybe the DU bushings need to be swapped out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    How old are the bushings on your shock? Maybe the DU bushings need to be swapped out?
    Not very, as old as the bike which is about a year with not a whole lot of abuse (I'm a roadie more often than not). The creak has been there for as long as I can remember, just took me forever to figure out where it was coming from.

mtbr member
    Same here. I just got my XCL in the spring and the creak showed up not long after. In fact, I've had a few creaks in the shock bolt area. One of them I fixed by removing the old loctite on the bolt, and loosening it a little. It was extremely tight and the bolt head deformed from from over tightening and a slipped wrench, I assume. Still usable fortunately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Turns out it's not a Chumba issue but a Fox one. Took it down to my LBS, they swapped out the shock for another they had on the floor and the creak was immediately gone. It seems to be the casing of the shock itself that is the source of the noise.

Wankel, try this (I'm assuming you have a DHX), grab the smaller secondary cylinder from both sides and try to flex it to the left or right. If your problem is the same as mine, you'll hear the noise every time.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccollins
    Turns out it's not a Chumba issue but a Fox one. Took it down to my LBS, they swapped out the shock for another they had on the floor and the creak was immediately gone. It seems to be the casing of the shock itself that is the source of the noise.

Wankel, try this (I'm assuming you have a DHX), grab the smaller secondary cylinder from both sides and try to flex it to the left or right. If your problem is the same as mine, you'll hear the noise every time.
    That is a very interesting find, is the shock hole twisting on the DU bushing or the steel bushing?
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    That is a very interesting find, is the shock hole twisting on the DU bushing or the steel bushing?
    Slow down, I'm a roadie, this stuff is still largely greek to me.

It seems to have nothing to do with any of the connection points of the shock or any other moving parts. If you grab and put pressure on the secondary cylinder you'll reproduce the sound from the shock body itself (without any movement from the moving parts).

I think it's really just a rare manufacturing defect, and I'm hoping Fox will have no problem replacing the unit.

ride hard take risks
    Slow down, I'm a roadie, this stuff is still largely greek to me.

It seems to have nothing to do with any of the connection points of the shock or any other moving parts. If you grab and put pressure on the secondary cylinder you'll reproduce the sound from the shock body itself (without any movement from the moving parts).

I think it's really just a rare manufacturing defect, and I'm hoping Fox will have no problem replacing the unit.

Aw come if your a sniffer yo be smart.

The DU bushing's are the aluminum spacers that go into the shock eye to reduce the size for the long steel piece that allows the shock to fit between the frame or swing arm mount then the bolt goes through everything to hold it together.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    I'm actually running an RP23, but I'll check the shock anyway.