Spin-stabilized

XCL: small or medium?

I missed the demo wagon in December due to the flu . The "Chumba fund" is maturing and I'm still undecided. If I hadn't looked at the geo on the chumba website, I would've gotten a medium right away. Good thing I took a peek. Am I the only one that thinks that a 19" XCL is way too big for a "medium"? Is it designed that way because the BB height of the XCL is on the low side? I'm 5'10" barefoot with a 31" inseam and have found that through the years, I prefer short bikes (both in the cockpit and seat tube length). The bike will be mostly used for aggressive XC and long, super technical trail rides.

Will I regret getting a small (16.8" seat tube/22.5" top tube)? BTW, my current rides are a 17.5" XC hardtail that feel great for epics but is a pain for technical climbs (long top tube) and a "medium" (16") 06 Chameleon. The chameleon's smallish frame is excellent for aggressive riding but is a tad too short that it hurts my knees on long rides. it also has a short TT (22.5" ) and I love that aspect of it. Hmm... we're just talking fractions of an inch here... Does the seat tube angle play more of a role in pedaling position/comfort than the ST length then?

Thanks!
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Tough call as so much depends on preference and riding style. I'm 5'10.5" with 31" inseam. I like my bikes to be longer in the top tube (old XC background). The Med feels great to me with a 100mm stem and flat bars. If you like your bikes shorter, get the small - you are only talking about 1" difference in length. Where are you at, maybe ther are some forum folks nearby?

mtbr member
    I am 5'8". I ride a small and it feels a little bit cramped.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    I didn't mention seat tube angle - I think that it is hugely important to rider comfort/control and the overall way a bike "feels". That said, the angle I like (73) might not work for you.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    I am 5'8". I ride a small and it feels a little bit cramped.
    Ditto.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm 5'11" and have a 32.5 inch inseam. I have ridden a medium XCL for two years, and it's just the right size for me. Based on your measurements, I think a small frame might be too small for you. A Chumba medium frame, at least in an XCL, appears to be equivalent in size to large frames from other manufacturers. For example, I ride a size large Turner Sultan frame, which fits me perfectly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Mr. Bailout....

long time no see bro'... we will be riding UCSC this Saturday @ 8ish.. you're welcome to sit and ride my XCL..better yet ride with us... its size small, as you know... I would recommend a medium for you cause i've seen you and how you ride.. just shorten the stem.. I just recently shorten my stem to 50mm and it made a world of difference.. (i was running 90 b4 then 70 now its 50mm)
    The bike still handles the climb and better on the descends... let me know ...

M@

mtbr member
    If the small feels slightly cramped - a Thomson laidback post might adequately increase the effective top tube -

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    If the small feels slightly cramped - a Thomson laidback post might adequately increase the effective top tube -

A.
    How would that affect the overall handling though.. To light of front end? Not corner as well, due to front washout?
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    How would that affect the overall handling though.. To light of front end? Not corner as well, due to front washout?
    Don't think it should be too bad - it would put you slightly more rearward - but you could adjust for it with an adjustable travel fork -

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Spin-stabilized
    I actually got a chance to ride Slugster's (thanks Matt!) small XCL for a little bit. It felt great. I was nice to the bike and didn't ride anything crazy but it handled well , both up technical rooty sections and back down the same trail (nothing extreme matt, so don't worry ). Now, the real questions is, EVO or XCL? I won't bother anyone with anymore questions about that though. Saturday's ride just made me think that more travel would be more fun. Sure, I rode down some gnarly downhills with my XC hardtail with a crap 2-inch fork, but the rest of the crew was having an easier time and went faster/higher.

Oh yeah, I was about to pull the trigger last week but thought I'd be a good boy and ran it by the wife. Bad move, she made me think twice about priorities and the old "needs vs. wants" thing. She didn't shoot me down entirely but it was enough to kill the desire to get another new bike.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    New bikes are a total need not a want! I've got a small and had the Thompson stem...it was way too long! I traded it for a nice short stem. I downhill all the time on the XCL and haven't run into any problems...except that time I blew up the fork...but that was a fork issue, not bike.