mtbr member
    Jul 2006

XCL rear swingarm disassembly

Hello All

I have a small blue XCL with the silver polish swingarm.

i'm planning on powdercoating the silver and that would require taking it apart.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and has any advice / pointers?

I was just going to undo the bolts and instruct the powdercoater to not apply in the areas where there are bearings.

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    It's very easy. Only thing to keep in mind is that the main pivot bolt (behind the chainrings)on the drive side is reverse threaded. Don't bust it off trying to back it out counterclockwise. Other than that it, is straight forward. Make sure you don't lose the spacers behind the bearings. They like to stick to the back of the bearing and then let go silently, onto the floor where they then roll off into oblivion!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    wow! thanks for letting me know. i had no idea.

i'm shuddering at the thought of me sitting on the ground with a disassembled swingarm and a snapped bolt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    does anyone know if the bearings are press fit in?

the upper arm of the swignarm has 2 bearings in the rear pivots. they didn't pop out when i took the bolts out, but i dont want to smack them if they are press fit.

i know glue is used on the threads to prevent loosening, could this be why it stuck? if so, i can just bang it and it should pop out.

but if its press fit, i'll have to just mask the whole bearing before powdercoating.

thanks.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Yes, They are a press fit. Your local shop can take them out if you can't? It's pretty easy to make a bearing press if you are so inclined. DO NOT leave the bearings in and just mask them. Powdercoating takes a lot of heat and you will just melt the grease out of them and ruin your finish. I suspect your powdercoater would not let you do this anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks for the advice!

i did end up getting the bearings out. i made a little makeshift press out of an old hand pump & a rear wheel quick release.

now i'm off to the powdercoaters!

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by harryzhong
    wow! thanks for letting me know. i had no idea.

i'm shuddering at the thought of me sitting on the ground with a disassembled swingarm and a snapped bolt.
    Just out of curiousity, why are you powdercaoating the swingarm? You'll need to make sure that the powdercoater can powder over anodized Alum? Also, make sure you have any contact points for bearings masked off. Powdercoat is a super tough finish and is very difficult to remove once it is baked, especially inside surfaces. Check and see how much space there is between the main frame yoke and the swingarm to make sure you don't need to mask some of that off too? I would be SUPER CAREFUL as to what you are having done. I can't reiterate enough how tough powdercoat is once it is baked. It's not a casual thing to remove it! I know because we powdercoat where I work. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ahh thanks for the heads up.

The swingarm right now is the aluminum polished one, there is no anodize over it (that i can tell). As far as I know, there is no anodize that actually gives the metal a polish look. I could be wrong? Let me know. I'm hoping the powdercoater may be able to tell.

In any case, I'll probably ask him to bead blast it to clean it off nice.

I'm getting it powdercoated to match the color scheme on my bike and also better protect the stays from chain/rock.

I"ll be masking all areas where bearings are installled. It looks like I have at least 2mm clearance between the swingarms since there is a spacer inbetween the bearing and arm. I should be ok. I'm getting a matte white powdercoat, so if it does rub a little, I'll sand it down a little.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

bead blasting. cool.

Ahh thanks for the heads up.

The swingarm right now is the aluminum polished one, there is no anodize over it (that i can tell). As far as I know, there is no anodize that actually gives the metal a polish look. I could be wrong? Let me know. I'm hoping the powdercoater may be able to tell.

In any case, I'll probably ask him to bead blast it to clean it off nice.

I'm getting it powdercoated to match the color scheme on my bike and also better protect the stays from chain/rock.

I"ll be masking all areas where bearings are installled. It looks like I have at least 2mm clearance between the swingarms since there is a spacer inbetween the bearing and arm. I should be ok. I'm getting a matte white powdercoat, so if it does rub a little, I'll sand it down a little.
    No sweat, just want to make sure you don't make a mistake that costs you a new swingarm! The "polished" is actually a clear anodized IF I am correct? You may want to contact Alan at Chumba and they could answer that in a heartbeat. If you are bead blasting you'll be fine but make sure they mast the bearing seat area, you want a nice tight fit for those bearings after they are done. That white will look good! One thing you can do to protect the chainstay from the chain, is simply cut a length of inner tube and slide it over the chainstay before you put the swingarm back together. It makes for a nice clean look and will keep your new paint job nick free.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    oh sweet, thats a good idea! i guess thats a perk to having a 2 part swingarm.

i just dropped off the parts monday, now its a waiting game.

now i just have to get the bolts black oxide coated to match the other black hardware. hehehe.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Pics! We'll want pics!

oh sweet, thats a good idea! i guess thats a perk to having a 2 part swingarm.

i just dropped off the parts monday, now its a waiting game.

now i just have to get the bolts black oxide coated to match the other black hardware. hehehe.
    When you are done make sure you take some detail pics to post!