mtbr member
    Jul 2006

XCL rear derailleur hitting

Hello All

I took the XCL for an extended ride around town today & tried jumping off some steps.

I heard a loud bang. I tried a few more hops in place and BANG BANG BANG.

Turns out my rear derailleur is hitting the swingarm at the pivot.

Has anyone encountered this before? Do I just have to tune my derailleur?

The B limit screw is already backed all the way out, and it starts banging when I shift to the 3rd or 4rth biggest ring in the back, and on the middle ring in the front.

Maybe longer chain? Short cage derailleur?

Here's a pic from afar

Any help would be great. I wanna get back out and jump around on the thing!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Had the same problem a couple years back when I first bought my xcl. The derailleur would not only bang but also caused ghost shifting when hammering up technical steeps. A Shimano Shadow XT derailleur fixed the problem.

See attached linky....
    Rear derailleur mystery shift

Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

wow that was fast

oh man, i thought i had searched the forum pretty well.

thanks for the lightning response Mark! sounds like i need to look for a shadow. wish i had seen this coming, i had just bought another derailleur to put on my other hardtail since i put it's derailleur on this bike.

argh. you learn something new everyday!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

rd for xcl

Quote Originally Posted by mad4mtnbike
    Had the same problem a couple years back when I first bought my xcl. The derailleur would not only bang but also caused ghost shifting when hammering up technical steeps. A Shimano Shadow XT derailleur fixed the problem.

See attached linky....
    Rear derailleur mystery shift

Mark
    Would you not suggest to chumba that they pre-install the xt shadow rd to go with the frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

indeed!

Alan! hear that? hehe.

At the least, are there any text or directions for people that standard derailleurs might hit? I bought my 2nd hand, so I didn't get any heads up. Does the manual say anything?

Also, is it the case for everyone? What is everyone else running for a rear derailleur on the XCL?

I noticed on the chumbaracing site, that the AM kit includes an XT derailleur! I can't tell from the picture if its a shadow or not.

Anyone running XTR? Does that hit?

RJG
    mtbr member
    I could be wrong about this but I think it is a problem with the Horst link design in general and not just Chumba. I want to say that I read that somewhere from some internet know it all source (i.e. another MTBR poster), my Titus Racer X used to do similar things so I would always put the chain in the middle/middle configuration to avoid the banging on the downhill. Since I switched to the shadow I haven't noticed it as much but I am in the habit of switching the gearing. I think part of the shadow design is to avoid the banging.
    cheers,
    R

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have lots of clearance with my Sram XO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by RJG
    I could be wrong about this but I think it is a problem with the Horst link design in general and not just Chumba.
    Yep. Common interference issue with Horst link bikes. Sram doesn't seem to have a problem, though. I think it's a result of a difference in derailleur design. My X9/XCL combo has been contact free. Shadows may work as well as others have said.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RJG
    I could be wrong about this but I think it is a problem with the Horst link design in general and not just Chumba.
    Yes and no, chumba has one of the "lowest" horst link pivots in relation to the axle, so they're more subceptible than most other horst-link configurations. Some horst-link configurations have that pivot much higher.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

nerfherder
    That's true, Jayem. I was toying with the idea of getting a tensioner to go single speed on my XCL and it just looked like most things would bash into the HL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    whoa, now that i think about it, this might be a tempting opportunity to try out SRAM stuff. I've read all the pros & cons and this vs thats, but it'd be nice to try SRAM to see what its like.

but seeing as how i already blew so much money on this guy, i think i'll just pick up a used shadow and ride for the time being. maybe next christmas.

PS. that sram x0 with the CF is hot.

nerfherder
    Even after riding an SLX kitted HX2 for the last couple weeks I still prefer the feel of SRAMs shifting and the ergonomics of their shifters.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    As much as I try to avoid Shimano components on my bike....
    I stay with Shimano derailleurs because they have been more durable for me than SRAM. I ride alot of rocky singletrack and my derailleur does take hits on occasion. The Shimano stuff seems to take the hits and keep on shifting. I've seen a lot of SRAM derailleurs come apart from similar hits.

Just my 2 cents.
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by harryzhong
    whoa, now that i think about it, this might be a tempting opportunity to try out SRAM stuff. I've read all the pros & cons and this vs thats, but it'd be nice to try SRAM to see what its like.

but seeing as how i already blew so much money on this guy, i think i'll just pick up a used shadow and ride for the time being. maybe next christmas.

PS. that sram x0 with the CF is hot.
    I have Sram XO on my XCL and I have no issues. I would highly recommend either a Sram X9 or Sram XO when the opportunity presents itself.

mtbr member

rear derauleur differences

Heres a pic of your deraileur XT vs the XT shadow on mine.
    look at where the cable connects at, and where the pivot location is at.
    yours pulls from the bottom side, the shadow actually pulls from the backside.
    I used to have this same problem on my Specialized enduro. you have to get the right deraileur for horst link bikes or it hits all the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmortensen
    Heres a pic of your deraileur XT vs the XT shadow on mine.
    look at where the cable connects at, and where the pivot location is at.
    yours pulls from the bottom side, the shadow actually pulls from the backside.
    I used to have this same problem on my Specialized enduro. you have to get the right deraileur for horst link bikes or it hits all the time.

huh, thanks for the pic there kev, really makes it clear what the difference is. looks like i can shorten the housing a bit too.

JT & Mark & scruffy, thanks for your advice. i do think i'll try SRAM at some point, but for now i'm just gonna grab a used shadow for cheap and ride. gonna let the banky rest a bit.

on another note, if i ever go riding in colorado, i won't get eaten by a bear since it will hear me coming a mile away. or is it mtn lions in CO....hmm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    I have Sram XO on my XCL and I have no issues. I would highly recommend either a Sram X9 or Sram XO when the opportunity presents itself.
    Same here. I've had the Sram x9 medium cage for two years, and have had no contact issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0