Thread: XCL Project

mtbr member

XCL Project

So I decided I will go with a gunmetal rear end on an ano blue frame. First step, get a pocket-sized torch, we use the Blazer. This melts the loctite on the bolts, and allows for ease of unscrewing with any problems damaging the threads. You only need to slightly heat the bolts for 15-20 seconds - put the flame in the area where the allen head would normally go. As you can see from the picture - there is loctite on all the bolts - so you want to slightly liquify the loctite where possible.

Additionally, you can see that on the newer XCLs there is a hole for a set screw to prevent the bolt from backing out - along with the bolt marked to indicate the left handed thread.

Use a rag so the seatstay doesn't scratch the front triangle. Once the seatstay is removed, you can begin to unbolt the chainstay. Take a rubber mallet and knock the chainstay off if it is wedged in between the bottom bracket shell.

Afterwards, you can remove the bearings from the seatstay with a press. If you don't have a press you can improvise - some other customers on the forums have come up with some creative ideas.

Hopefully this should give an idea of the process. Now, the rear triangle is ready to go off to powdercoat!

-A.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 03-01-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Interested, keep us updated. I recently received my new-to-me 07 XCL in Orange and am toying with the idea of having the rear powder-coated either blue or white (for that creamsicle look).

Hmm...or maybe I will strip and polish it to match the race face cranks and thomson post. Anyone want to trade a polished Med rear for an Orange? - Seriously, PM, don't thread jack.

mtbr member
    Someone just ordered an ano blue XCL today - so his swingarm and seatstay are going off to powdercoat along with my rear triangle to be powdercoated gunmetal. Should be very nice with pewter accents. Will definitely keep you updated with pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ooooo definitely share the pics when they arrive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am realy looking forward to getting this bike. Big thanks to Chumba for taking some time and helping get this bike going.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So any updates on the bike Alan? I am excited to get it but I think I will be back in Alaska by the time it shows up in Colorado.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by NCETRY
    So any updates on the bike Alan? I am excited to get it but I think I will be back in Alaska by the time it shows up in Colorado.
    Hey! Just waiting on the rear ends to come back from powder coat. Waiting for mine as well, hopefully they should be here this week and it will take a day for us to build up.

A.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    NICE! can't wait to see it.

PS. I'm not sure your powdercoater will handle this. But they used aluminum oxide to bead blast & clean the swing arm & seat stay before powdercoating. That stuff actually builds up inside the tubes, via the small holes near the dropout & up front where they connect to the frame. I was told to go home & rinse it out a couple times to get the remainder out. But when it comes out, NOT to wipe it with anything, just rinse it away, since the oxide is very hard & will scratch the surface finish. I thought it odd he'd ask me to do it, thought he'd have done it. But just FYI.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So long as it is clean aluminum they should not have to bead blast the rear ends.

After having some of those problems on engines I have built. I now do the prep work and masking off the areas I dont want powder coated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    huh. does the aluminum have to be clean of say...finger oils ? is the powder coat process sensitive to that kind of thing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by harryzhong
    huh. does the aluminum have to be clean of say...finger oils ? is the powder coat process sensitive to that kind of thing?
    It is. Easy way to clean that is to take MEK or paint thinner and wipe them down good before powder coating. I have only had parts bead blasted when I had to remove paint or old powder coat from the parts.

Members who have read this thread: 0