mtbr member

XCL , problems with light front end?

I've got my XCL recently, and I've only ridden it a half a dozen times. I've got a fox float RL 140 on it, and I notice while it climbs well, in the steeper pitches the front end wanders ALOT. I'm hoping this is just due to the taller fork, and me getting used to it, but I'm starting to wonder if perhaps this is why folks ride the forks with adjustability. I'm not the type to want to fiddle with that... I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problems and if so, how you adapt? Love the bike otherwise.

I'm living the dream!
    I'm running a Pike which has the same amount of travel. When I first got the XCL, I played around with the travel but after the first few rides, I just left it at 140 and never touched the travel adjust again. I haven't noticed any wandering except when I don't get my weight centered going up hills. I guess it may be something to get used to, especially if you came from a bike with a steeper head angle. Good luck!

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by cajonezzz
    I've got my XCL recently, and I've only ridden it a half a dozen times. I've got a fox float RL 140 on it, and I notice while it climbs well, in the steeper pitches the front end wanders ALOT. I'm hoping this is just due to the taller fork, and me getting used to it, but I'm starting to wonder if perhaps this is why folks ride the forks with adjustability. I'm not the type to want to fiddle with that... I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problems and if so, how you adapt? Love the bike otherwise.
    need more details... could be anything...

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I noticed the front end being "light" but adjusted to it very quickly. I run a Pike and I actually like the front end feeling light because it is so easy to manual it over G-outs and logs. I love the flickability of the front end as is. I almost never lower my fork from 140 mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ride a pike too without the adjusting. Same thing, when I climb steep pitches (not often!) I don't center my weight enough and notice the front light....nothing to do with the bike, just my riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaclynj
    I ride a pike too without the adjusting. Same thing, when I climb steep pitches (not often!) I don't center my weight enough and notice the front light....nothing to do with the bike, just my riding.
    i agree ^ .. i run a pike fixed at 140 and it does wonders when on the steeps, but its all in the body position... i have a straight seat post now that i just needed to move my butt a little in the front and that solves the wonders....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    When I first got my XCL I found the front end light too, but I soon got used to it. Now I love it because it makes manualling over obstacles so easy. Unlike the others though, I like lowering my Pike for steep climbs. When I come across a step-up that's really high, the Pike at 140 makes me wheely over. Could just be my lousy technique though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a Float RL 140 also. It just takes time to get the body position down, once you do you will be all set. Where I ride there are no long climbs, a lot of short steep stuff. I have a lot of upper body strength which I have learned to not use too much when climbing. Like Ricky D said, get centered and you will be fine, moving to the very front of the seat is what works best for me to do this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've been avoiding the problem all together by riding more downhill lately...but I agree, it's just a little body position change...I just have an aversion to pedalling more that 500' now.

wuss
    I used to have a u-turn Pike, but since I never adjusted it I changed for a dual air Revelation (lost about a pound of weight). The front end tries to wander a bit on climbs, but my saddle location and body position counter that ok. I guess I could go for a longer stem (70mm), but good stems are quite expensive just for testing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by batts65
    I have a Float RL 140 also. It just takes time to get the body position down, once you do you will be all set. Where I ride there are no long climbs, a lot of short steep stuff. I have a lot of upper body strength which I have learned to not use too much when climbing. Like Ricky D said, get centered and you will be fine, moving to the very front of the seat is what works best for me to do this.

Yep, I'm figuring it out now, my saddle was a bit back as well, but just shifting position a bit seems to help.
    Wish i knew why i took the digger on thursday, on the same little ride I've done a million times.... split my top lip and separated a rib in my chest.

gray XCL's look killer with dried blood on the top tube.