mtbr member

XCL loose chain stay bolt

3 times a charm. That drive side chain stay bolt, you know that left hand one, has come loose again. I can hold the seat post and flex the wheel and actually see the chain stay on that side move slightly. After I remove the cranks again and apply blue loctite for the 3rd time I'm wondering if the red loctite is a better option. I'm concerned because on the package it says it's only coming off again when heated to 500 degrees 1st. Is anyone else using red and have you ever had to remove said bolt?

mtbr member
    I have used a nylock with success. Been using it for 6 months still tight. That being said my frame is not reverse thread. I did a very quick look on mcmaster-carr to see if they have a nylock nut in reverse thread. I didn't see anything.
    good luck
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by keefe
    3 times a charm. That drive side chain stay bolt, you know that left hand one, has come loose again. I can hold the seat post and flex the wheel and actually see the chain stay on that side move slightly. After I remove the cranks again and apply blue loctite for the 3rd time I'm wondering if the red loctite is a better option. I'm concerned because on the package it says it's only coming off again when heated to 500 degrees 1st. Is anyone else using red and have you ever had to remove said bolt?
    Red loctite works - but sometimes its not removeable and permanently bonds the threads to the bolt. I would try just using the blue loctite around the last few threads - clean all threads with alcohol before applying loctite - and let it dry overnight after you install it. If you still have problems just call me and I'll help you out some more.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    I also had three sessions of loose bolt fun. I had used blue loctite the last two times - each lasted about 5-6 weeks before loosening. I finally gave up and follwed the advice of Matt at Chumba and used the red loctite: three weeks and holding. I'm just hoping that I never have to replace that bearing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefe
    I used red loctite as directed with no further occurrence of the bolt backing out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Even worse

Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two
    I also had three sessions of loose bolt fun. I had used blue loctite the last two times - each lasted about 5-6 weeks before loosening. I finally gave up and follwed the advice of Matt at Chumba and used the red loctite: three weeks and holding. I'm just hoping that I never have to replace that bearing...
    Try and remove the bolt with the head sheered off. Lucky for me my LBS is awesome.