mtbr member
    Jan 2007

XCL frame bolts torque specs?

What do I torque the frame/suspension linkage bolts to on the XCL? Should I be concerned about using some blue loc-tite on eveything?
    I have searched through the threads and have found the link/pic/diag for the breakdown of the frame and it's components but no luck on torque specs. I just want to be sure everything is per manufacturer specs especially once I get to ride it.
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    you can find torques here
    http://www.chumbaracing.com/images/c...ly_diagram.pdf

i used this diagram to reassemble my XCL swingarms.

i used red loctite on mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks hz.
    Any reason to NOT use the blue loc-tite? I know the bike and bearings will most likely last a long time - but should I ever need to replace a bearning or take the linkage apart or ... I was just hoping to not break out the flame and heat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    that i don't know. i've read a few posts where someone tried blue and it still worked itself loose.

but that was on a specific bolt i think, it was the drive side lower bolt? the one that is reverse threaded? i think newer XCLs have a set screw there now?

anyone else input?

i would think it also depends on how hard you ride it & in what sort of environment. if you ride wet all the time, mabye you'll need bearings replaced more often.

mtbr member
    Blue lock-tite is what I recommend for screws that have a issue with coming loose on any bike, and yes the newer XCL's do have a set screw on the drive side I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Right on.

So if I have one of the frames without the setscrew (engineered to keep a bolt from backing out ???) do I loc-tite all the frame bolts? Are there specific ones that are "known" backer outers?

I just want to ride it without a known issue popping it's ugly head. Sure things are going to work themselves loose - happens on all bikes I suppose. I just want to minimize that on mine without resorting to a torch to get it apart.

Members who have read this thread: 0