mtbr member
    Jun 2007

XCL & EVO questions

I am very intrested in one of these two frames (along with the SantaCruz Heckler) for a winter build. I have read nothing but great reviews on both bikes. But the high TT one both frames does worry me. What ever bike I get will be used as an agresive trail / AM bike. I just don't want to be wacking my boys on the TT when I mess up in a techy section. Is this a real concearn? FWIW I am 6'-0" tall with a 32" inseam.

Also, how do either of these bikes pedal out of the saddle. I typically sit & spin, but I sometimes like to stand when approaching a steep technical obstacle.

I would also love to hear any feed back from riders in New England that ride one of these bikes. Will the EVO be a good all-around trail bike for New England riding (Western Ma, Western CT) or is it too heavy.

Thanks in advance
    Tim

Flying Goat
    Sup Tim??? Nice to see you over here... XD

Dont think the top tube height is too high... when you're feet are on the pedals, your boys wont be touching them... haha. A friend of mine Aaron has his Evo built up stupid light which he brings out to Northstar and Pacifica yet climbs in Auburn. At 32lbs or so i believe. That said, i dont have any real saddle time on either bike but know people who do and love it for the riding you're doing... Guys like Aaron and such. Do you remember Eastbaynewb? Well, he just got his XCL today... I'll be helping him put it together... Gonna ask him if i can ride it... hehehehe... Maybe... XD

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    Sup Tim??? Nice to see you over here... XD

Dont think the top tube height is too high... when you're feet are on the pedals, your boys wont be touching them... haha. A friend of mine Aaron has his Evo built up stupid light which he brings out to Northstar and Pacifica yet climbs in Auburn. At 32lbs or so XD

He must have some pretty light components on that bike to get it around 32lbs. What ever bike I get I will be running a coil shock on and X7 or X9. I know I can easily build up a beefy Heckler with a coil in the weight range, and the XCL should also be easy to build to that weight. The EVO might be a stretch.

Flying Goat
    * Frame Size & Color: M Candy Apple Red
    * Fork: Marzocchi Z1 Light
    * Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 185mm
    * Cranks: Bontrager Big Earl 165mm
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM XO
    * Pedals: Atomlab Aircorp
    * Stem: Ritchey Pro 60mm 30 degree rise
    * Handlebar: RaceFace Evolve 2.5
    * Seatpost: SDG Ibeam
    * Saddle: SDG I beam
    * Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Hoz
    * Cassette: SRAM 990
    * Headset: CaneCreek S8
    * Grips: ODI Rogue shorty
    * Front Tire: Michelin All Mountain 2.2 tubeless
    * Front Rim: Transition Revolution 36mm
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Transition Revolution 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Michelin All Mountain 2.2 tubeless
    * Rear Rim: Transition Revolution 36mm
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Transition Revolution 20mm
    * Weight: 33.25

mtbr member
    I ride a small XCL. I am 5'8" with a 29" inseem. The standover is probably my biggest issue with the bike. I love the bike it climbs wells, descends great but I'm nervous about the standover. That being said, Ive been riding for almost two years and no incidents yet. I do think the XCL will descend better than the heckler. I rode my friend's heckler and thought it was a bit harsh compared. The heckler is probably a better climber on bufffed singletrack or dirtroads, but the XCL does better if there are obstacles. I thought the heckler had quite a bit of pedal feedback over bumps.
    my 2/100 of a $.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Hey Tim,

I live in Mass with an EVO and it ROCKS!

Check out my review.... My new 2008 "OMG" review.

I don't know about the XCL, but I would choose either over a VPP or single pivot bike IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yer always gonna get pedal kickback on a single pivot like the Heckler. Great bike though.
    My new EVO is a great bike to. Handles awesome, climbs awesome. 33lbs. Descends awesome.

I'm living the dream!
    I'm 6'0 with a 32" inseam too. I have a medium XCL with a 140mm Pike and have no problem at all with the TT height. I have about 1 to 1.5 inches of space between the TT and the fellas. That means with baggies on, the material of the shorts is resting on the TT. To date, I don't recall ever racking hard on the XCL.

As for choice of bike, I'm very biased towards the XCL but it's because the bike has always exceeded my expectations in both climbing and going through the technical stuff.

Good luck with your choice!

mtbr member
    I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about the difference between the XCL and the EVO. Obviously the design is very different, but with many of the geometries Hbeing similar, is the ride similar. The travel isn't much different. The H.T. angle is only .5 degrees difference. The Seat Tube angle .5 difference. The TT length is .5" longer.
    Are there difference in how the bike moves through its travel?
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fourpointthree
    Yer always gonna get pedal kickback on a single pivot like the Heckler. Great bike though.
    My new EVO is a great bike to. Handles awesome, climbs awesome. 33lbs. Descends awesome.
    whats your build like to get that bike at 33lbs? My goal for my next bike is the low 30 range. But I also plan on running a DHX5 coil, a Manitou Nixon w/ thru axle and a Joplin R seat post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    09 36 talas rc, 09 dhx5 coil, 09 x9 sram 2x9 drivetrain w/xt e type front d
    truvativ stylo GXP c/s
    Sun charger rims w/ dirty and jumping flea hubs
    CK hs
    Juicy 7s
    etc.
    33 lbs and some change
    Wacked my sack once on the tt, now i wear a cup made of ti to save some weight . And oh yeah, my nuts. Just kidding. May change my stem from 90 mm to 70 mm.
    LOVE my EVO. I was torn between an SC Nomad or the EVO. Walter had me sold in 30seconds of conversation

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have my EVO built to 31 lbs. XTR groupset, I-9 wheelset, Schwalbe Nobby Nicks, Kowa fork, Carbon handlebar, thomson seatpost and stem, CK headset, KMC chain. Both the XCL and EVO are great bikes but the EVO surpasses the XCL in terms of plushness. I climb with the rest on my EVO but my buddies on their XCLs get ahead of me on long sustained climbs. Both bikes are definitely aggressive but if you're looking to build light for climbs and XC rides the XCL will be the better frame.