Thread: XCL and EVO?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

XCL and EVO?

I'm an extremely happy XCL owner and have enjoyed all sorts of trail riding with my bike for the past 18 months.

But yesterday I hit the MTB park in Mammoth for the first time and fear I've developed a new addiction. This 'lift assisted' riding stuff is way more fun than I ever imagined.

I rode most everything except the x-zones or the super rocky/technical stuff and the XCL was like a magic carpet.

But now I'm curious about the benefits of more suspension travel. With the EVO offering 6 inches, is there really that much performance difference from the XCL at 5" in a place like Mammoth? The handling on my XCL is perfect so I'm left with 'just' an extra inch of travel. Seems trivial, but I've never ridden an EVO and am probably missing something.

I'll probably just wait to see what is new from Chumba in 09.

Thanks
    R

mtbr member
    Are you thinking of replacing your xcl and trying to have one bike to trail ride and use in the parks? If so, I think the Evo is a great option. If you are going to get another bike, just for the bike parks, then you should look into something like a transition bottlerocket and keep the xcl for your trail riding, imo.
    Mammoth is rad, isn't it?

Flying Goat
    An extra inch of suspension will do a lot. Not only that, the Evo's geometry is more geared towards more agressive riding with the slack angles and such.

i would say keep the xcl and get an F5... but if you can only afford one bike, then the Evo would be just the ticket...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For sure I'm going to keep the XCL because that works best for a majority of my riding.

I was just curious what benefits I'd experience from the extra inch of travel on the EVO. Had not considered the different geometry on the EVO and could see where that would make a noticeable difference.

I'll give Mammoth a few more rides and then consider getting another park bike. It is certainly fun enough to warrant a new bike. If so, I'll look at the Transition and also check out whatever Chumba introduces for 09. Thanks
    R

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

beefier frame too?

Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    For sure I'm going to keep the XCL because that works best for a majority of my riding.

I was just curious what benefits I'd experience from the extra inch of travel on the EVO. Had not considered the different geometry on the EVO and could see where that would make a noticeable difference.

I'll give Mammoth a few more rides and then consider getting another park bike. It is certainly fun enough to warrant a new bike. If so, I'll look at the Transition and also check out whatever Chumba introduces for 09. Thanks
    R
    I would think that besides the geometry differences, the frame on an Evo is probably a bit more burly which would be a good thing for gravity riding and the harder abuse it puts on a bike? I'm not sure what Chumba's stance is on using an XCL for resort gravity riding? I think as long as you are not boosting huge air, it's probably ok?

mtbr member
    I really enjoy my Evo in the parks, but if your going to have a dedicated park bike, I just think there's better options. The Evo is a bit of a compromise, to include decent climbing characteristics in a kick ass downhill machine. Since you don't have to climb at the bike park, why compromise?
    There's plenty of other park oriented bikes to chose from, I was just throwing the Bottlerocket out there as an example.
    When I say "bike park" I'm thinking more slopestyle than dh race course. If you're talking dh race, the F5 would be my first and second and third choice, since it seems Sinister stopped making their dh frame (would have been my third choice).
    Good luck!
    Last edited by hardway; 08-22-2008 at 09:14 AM.