mtbr member
    Apr 2006

XCL descents abilities

After review many XCL reports i want to understand how much the XCL give confidence in technical descents comparing to other frames in the same group (5-6 inch rear travel) and the inch longer group(more then 6inch rear travel).

What ranking\grade will the XCL get in technical descents Vs. the 5.5 Spot/Blur LT2... and Vs. the El Guepo/Nomad/6.6...?

From what i read i understood that the XCL is between of the Spot and the RFX or the BLT2 and the Nomad.

Thanks

nerfherder
    Having owned a BLT1 and a Nomad1, for me, with my mediocre skills, I'd put it spot on with the BLT1.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    7.5/10 w/ a pike and rp23..9.5/10 w/ a wotan and DHX-C.Havent rode any of the other bikes on your list ,so cant really compare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Way ahead of a BLT1 and just behind the Nomad.Thing with the Nomad is its climbing in the granny gears is very average,everything else is all go.Thing about the xcl is the companies pedigrie in downhill racing really shines thru in the bike when the going gets tough.Hard 2 put a finger on it just has the x factor when u realise the bikes pushed u out of your comfort zone and your ok with it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Having owned a BLT1 and a Nomad1, for me, with my mediocre skills, I'd put it spot on with the BLT1.

Hey scruffy' you own a blur 4x right... could you compare the XCL with the blur4x.. i might be getting a really good deal on the 4x and just want to know some input.. might even keep both..... just want to know whats ur take on both bikes?..

thanks

nerfherder
    Hey slugster, I used to own a blur 4x. The 4x, for it's relatively short travel, was long and low and SLACK with a 5 inch fork on it. Felt like a mini DH bike. The low bb made it super nimble. The XCL is almost as much twisty turny fun as the 4x without the ridiculously low BB. Some people have problems with the uber low BB on the B4x. I was mostly fine with it and liked the carvability of the low center of gravity. So I'd say the XCL is one part B4x, one part BLT, and one part Heckler. More of a blend of the characteristics of those SCB bikes. The 4x is a bit more direct than the xcl in it's feel. Shorter travel, more go forward efficiency, a little less comfort.

Both great bikes and within a stones throw from each other for me. Hope that helps.

wuss
    I had a Transition Preston FR with a Wotan and then Pike. Changed to the XCL with the Pike, and now a Revelation. The Preston might have been a bit better for decending, but not enough to offset the better handling when riding on level / climbing. I can ride all the same decents, just have to concentrate on my lines a bit more.