mtbr member

XCL and CCDB Wedded.

I purchase a used CCDB last week. It was mounted on my XCL and ready to ride last night. I used a mix of hardware supplied with the CCDB, hardware from my old DHX air, some plastic spacers, and a hardened 8mm bolt from the local hardware supply house. For now its good enough. I ordered parts from Cane Creek that will clean it up. I have a #550 spring on and a #600 on its way. All settings so far are set to recommendations in the owners manual: LSR 12 clicks from fully closed, LSC 8 from fully closed, HSC compression 2 turns from full open, HSR 2 turns from fully open. I will leave these this way for a few rides to settle into the feeling of the shock before I mess with settings.

The marriage was consummated today on a quick trip up the local trail. Only four miles but enough to give me a taste of how things will work out.

Observations (I reserve the right to change)
    1. Although I don't hit big air, this thing lands like a cat. Super soft and sure. I kept looking for any opportunity to leave the ground.
    2. The smaller bumbs on the way up were not as smoothed out as they were on the DHX air.
    3. The bigger square stuff on the way up were a bit harsh.
    4. On the way down the small stuff was about as smooth as my DHX.
    5. Interestingly on high speed turns with chatter, my bike held its line much better. No tendency to drift out.
    6. Very little bob. I climbed about 600ft and it felt good. I didn't notice any increased weight.

Some of the issues above will be solved with a new spring or dialing in of the damping. I have a suspicion the LSC and LSR can be opened up a bit without significant increase in bob but with increased small bump compliance. And, a bit heavier spring could help with the square edge bumbs will climbing.

Here are some pics if your interested

So far just like any new relationship they are learning to get along better. I hope this one lasts for a while.

If anyone's got suggestions it'd be great to hear from you.
    thanks.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

ride hard take risks
    Wowzerz thats a sweet bonding!!! I'm a cheapo so unless I get something like that fer a sweet deal it looks cool. Dealing with Ohlin in the moto industry they were very nice and set up was good. Feel you will have a long lasting relationships of love and divorce will be extremely rough if it was to happen.
    Last edited by dogonfr; 11-02-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Flying Goat
    wow... that thing is puuuuurtttyyy!!!!!! Getting shocks setup can take some time especially if you're picky. All the adjustments on the CCDB should help you get your desired setup though... XD

mtbr member
    Well,
    I've had my CCDB on the XCL for a few weeks and just completed a shuttle with 4,000 ft. of descent. I've also done my normal loops and such.

So far I'm pretty impressed. I can't tell you whether it is due to the CCDB or du to the fact that its a coil, since this is my first bike with a coil. But the ride is really smooth. The small stuff really gets muted its almost like the bike has a silencer (I don't know if that makes sense, cause it isn't any quieter. Just smoother). I haven't hit any big stuff yet, actually I'm still working my way up to the bigger stuff. On drops of 3' or less it feels great.

I am still working on the settings, but so far I have the:

HSC- two turns from open
    HSR - two turns from open
    LSC - 10 clicks from closed
    LSR - 14 clicks from closed

This pretty much keeps the bike from bobbing and it still feels great riding over the rough stuff.

My only complaint is that I would like to be able to do toolless adjustments. I think I would use it, since most of my rides are up and out then down and back to the car. I could stiff the low speed for the way up, then loosen for the way down. That being said it is much better, even without the adjustments, than my DHX air was.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

ride hard take risks
    Thats awesome, Ohlin makes some great moto suspension.

Personally I like to ride the set up of the day to see how it works rather than changing adjustments on the trail. As Joe Average we want the bike set up for the rides rather than the ride so the more trail input on one setting is allot better than 5 adjustments on a ride, hope this makes sense. Joe Racer needs the bike to be set up for the course and that can take 3-4 days plus, we dont have the advantage of a tuner and the course/terrain changes constantly. I set up a bike static then did a ride the next day and it was all off, way to stiff but I rode it the day without change, the fun part was giving my son fits launching drops and railing trail. He commented on how a rigid bike could do so well.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot