I purchase a used CCDB last week. It was mounted on my XCL and ready to ride last night. I used a mix of hardware supplied with the CCDB, hardware from my old DHX air, some plastic spacers, and a hardened 8mm bolt from the local hardware supply house. For now its good enough. I ordered parts from Cane Creek that will clean it up. I have a #550 spring on and a #600 on its way. All settings so far are set to recommendations in the owners manual: LSR 12 clicks from fully closed, LSC 8 from fully closed, HSC compression 2 turns from full open, HSR 2 turns from fully open. I will leave these this way for a few rides to settle into the feeling of the shock before I mess with settings.
The marriage was consummated today on a quick trip up the local trail. Only four miles but enough to give me a taste of how things will work out.
Observations (I reserve the right to change)
1. Although I don't hit big air, this thing lands like a cat. Super soft and sure. I kept looking for any opportunity to leave the ground.
2. The smaller bumbs on the way up were not as smoothed out as they were on the DHX air.
3. The bigger square stuff on the way up were a bit harsh.
4. On the way down the small stuff was about as smooth as my DHX.
5. Interestingly on high speed turns with chatter, my bike held its line much better. No tendency to drift out.
6. Very little bob. I climbed about 600ft and it felt good. I didn't notice any increased weight.
Some of the issues above will be solved with a new spring or dialing in of the damping. I have a suspicion the LSC and LSR can be opened up a bit without significant increase in bob but with increased small bump compliance. And, a bit heavier spring could help with the square edge bumbs will climbing.
Here are some pics if your interested
So far just like any new relationship they are learning to get along better. I hope this one lasts for a while.
If anyone's got suggestions it'd be great to hear from you.
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: XCL and CCDB Wedded.
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »