mtbr member

XCL build questions

found a smoking deal on a new frame. quick questions and / or opinions needed.

1. dhx air or rp23? frame comes w/ the rp but i have a dhx that i can use. coming off a 575 w/ the same i2i and stroke. 5'11", 185. the components i have are somewhat beefy but nothing crazy. i am not a w. weenie nor am i a super aggressive hucker.
    2. full length housing: seems like i would have to drill out the cable stops or use adapters (or zip ties).
    3. anything else to get me ready to rock that i need to know? looking for an e-type front der. right now. i basically want to have any parts / supplies available once it arrives.

Gracias!

the other components will come directly from the other bike:
    lyrik u turn, dhx air 5.0
    formula oro k24 w/ goodridge hoses
    dt swiss 5.1's, marz. front hub and xt rear
    thomson 70mm stem
    race face atlas low rise am bars
    odi lock on's
    x9 shifters, rear der. lx front
    truvativ stylo bb and cranks
    time atac z pedals.

wuss
    1. Mine came with the DHX Air, I swapped it for an RP23. Both where ok, but the RP23 has better midstroke support. I think the DHX could probably be tuned to work as well, but I'm not very good at fiddling around, and can't be bothered to keep finetuning stuff.

2. You'd probably have to drill out the cable stops, I believe I've read of some people on the forums doing it, and recall Chumba saying it's ok (maby you'd still want to double check with them). I was going to do it, but just ended up getting a goodridge gear cable setup (which actually does not have sufficient parts for the XCL).

3. I think your component list looks pretty nice. Not the lightest parts, but will make a balanced build.

mtbr member
    I used the Jagwire Ripcord set for the shifters and still running smooth after 5 months or so. But it has been dry most of that time.

I would go with the RP23. Lighter and has a better feel to it. I had a DHX air on mine and couldn't get it to stop wallowing. I'm 230lb so that may have something to do with it. I put a coil on and it feels great.

Good luck with the build
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    I use the Gore cable system, fully enclosed in an inner sleeve, not cheep but very very reliable, 1st set still going strong after 10 years on my hardtail, and you won't havt to dril out the stops.

Members who have read this thread: 0