mtbr member
    Jul 2006

XCL Build - Me Likes

Living in MI means the only way to get through the winter is to build a bike!

This time around, I'm building up an XCL size S, blue. This color is hot!

Here it is just sitting on the fork & wheels, to get a feel of what color scheme I want to run with.

Hmmm, the silver polish looks cool, but is a bit out of place. What's that? Theres a powdercoat shop 10 mins away from me?

Nice. $100 & 3 weeks later.

But if you notice, theres 2 bearings on the upper arm there. Got to get them back in.

At first I tried the same method I used to get them out. I scavenged an old GT pump, cut it to size so that I could use a rear quick release skewer to pry the bearing out.

Getting it out was much easier than putting it back in, since the powdercoat added some thickness in that area. So this makeshift press was ditched for a cheap harbor freight vise & some duct tape.

Here it is all put back together

While I was waiting for the swingarm, I thought, those bolts are awefully shiny, might blind me on the trail with a sunny sky.

Sooooo.....got them black oxide coated.
    These turned out well

These did not. The oxide coating rubs off & actually dulled quite a bit after a wash to get rid of the sealing oil. Shoot.

Time to go old school with this.

Man, whoever said the best solution is usually the simplest solution is right.

With the bearings pressed in & the bolts colored. Time to slap it all together

Here it is so far:

Unfortunately I'm stuck right now since the XT cranks need that special tool to tighten. It's currently in the mail and should arrive later today hopefully. But that's doubtful since 5" of snow somehow just came down in the last 3 hrs.

Oh well. Time to hurry up & wait.

On the upside, I weighed it and currently sitting at 25.5 lbs! Without pedals, crankset, chain & shifter housing.

Target 28 lbs.

mtbr member
    Nice

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That is a great looking XCL. The color Scheme looks great.

Flying Goat
    dude... that looks hella clean!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks all!

I just realized it looks very similar to the new VF2 XTR build color scheme. Oh well.

The mailman was nice & delivered the BB tool yesterday. Here she is all buttoned up.

Handlebar might be a bit wide, but I'm going to wait until I get some time on the trail before I do any cutting.

These straitline levers are hot.

Final weight came out at 28lb 12oz, basically 29lbs. Might shave some weight off when I go tubeless.

I'm really excited. Took her on a ride around the block on the fresh powder. Feels plush.

I also noticed that its really easy to get the front wheel up. Tried some wheelies & they were a lot easier than my last ride, a hardtail.

I also noticed the K24s seem to take a while to lockout. The lever is almost to the handlebar before I lock out. Might just need to get used to it, or play with the TCS thingy.

Time to hurry up & wait for some dry trails! If weather permits, I'll throw the studded wheelset on & go for a ride/slide.

Flying Goat
    very nice build dude... i really like it. I wouldnt worry about your breaks locking up dude. You dont want them to anyways because if they're locking up, you're not slowing down. I would just ride them. Maybe the pads just need to break in.

As for the bars, now this is wide... XD

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hey thanks for the tip man, yeah i guess i was used to the brakes locking cuz the old BB7 brakes engaged pretty early. i do have to brake in the brakes..... that sounds weird.

haha dang those are some wide bars. i guess they come in handy on descents right?

normally i think i would keep them wide, but out here the trails are pretty tame. i did a burly build this time sort of to future proof myself, incase i move somewhere else with some decent elevation change.

EastBaySteez
    Let the brakes bed in first. But it sounds like you might want to play with some of the lever adjustments. You should not be able to pull the brakes to the bar to lock them up....

Sweet build! Loving the white/ blue combo.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks motormonkey, yeah i just need to give the brakes some time. i thought it strange that it engaged so late, but on the trail might feel different. time will tell.

oh well, for the time being i'm having fun on this guy in the snow

METAL! YEAAHHHH!

nerfherder
    Nice attention to detail!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks scruffy, I always wanted to get into the nitty gritty and finally got the coin to have some fun.

mtbr member
    Great looking build!

I think Enduro or some other bearing company has bearings with blue seals. That might be something to look for when the time comes

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    uh oh, should not have shared that tidbit with me dub.

hehe, i'll definitely have to take a look if my bearings need updating.

mtbr member
    I think the blue is a little off..but it's close!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    whoa very nice. any idea how much these cost?

the bearings were a pain to get out & in, especially in with the powdercoat, so i might wait until one busts before i replace them.

Members who have read this thread: 0