Surfing trails

XCL 3 ring chain tensioner

Anyone know where I can locate a HEIM 3G triple ring chain tensioner? I am going crazy looking for a chain tensioner for my XCL and so far no luck. I spoke with e13 already (new owners of HEIM) and they have no projected release date for their new 3G guide. I know everyone suggests going DRS with 2 rings and a bash but I use my big 44t chainring way too much to give it up. Any ideas? Does the Kore Chain Reactor still have happy users?

Flying Goat
    why not try an DRS with a 38/24T???

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    e13 told me that the 3 ring guide would be out in january along with the rest of their 09 stuff....unless that has changed

Surfing trails
    I love the DRS on my EVO but I want to keep 3 rings on my XCL. I need to speak to e13 again because when I talked to them 2-3 weeks ago I was told there was no set release date for the 3G guide.

I hope you are right about January, that would be great!

wuss
    What cranks are you guys using? I recollect that with the e-type front derailleur and shimano HTII cranks you don't use any spacers, so I assumed there is no way to use a chain tensioner...

mtbr member
    It can be done but it is indeed crank-dependent. For instance.. i run a blackspire blackguard 2-ring tensioner with a `08 XT crank and the e-type derailleur.. works fine. Same combo with the fsa afterburner crank doesn't leave enough clearance for the granny chainring bolts. This setup does widen the chainline by 1 more spacer than normal but it works.. I can shift into all possible gear combinations without issue.

The heim tensioner is thinner than the blackspire.. it would be a better combo.

I love my tensioner.. no drops and ZERO chainslap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    "We’re still in the process of combining the Heim Technology and our own e*thirteen tech for the 3RS. It is currently slated to hit store shelves in January 09, along with the rest of our new chain retention systems."

this is what I was told.... but i was also told before that it was almost dont so

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilster1
    It can be done but it is indeed crank-dependent. For instance.. i run a blackspire blackguard 2-ring tensioner with a `08 XT crank and the e-type derailleur.. works fine. Same combo with the fsa afterburner crank doesn't leave enough clearance for the granny chainring bolts. This setup does widen the chainline by 1 more spacer than normal but it works.. I can shift into all possible gear combinations without issue.

The heim tensioner is thinner than the blackspire.. it would be a better combo.

I love my tensioner.. no drops and ZERO chainslap.
    sorry to highjack... but its certainly related...

anyone know of a tensioner set-up on fsa afterburners + the e=type fd. i need one!

i already have issues with clearance b/t the drive side chainstay pivot bolt and the granny gear... which has seemingly been solved with matt's help.

any thoughts?

mtbr member
    The heim guide is probably the only thing thin enough in a tensioner with the FSA cranks..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    when does e13 usually update their website with their new products?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by neilster1
    The heim guide is probably the only thing thin enough in a tensioner with the FSA cranks..
    I found a pic of the e.thirteen design and almost looks like its thicker. I really hope it isn't.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1850232/

LDH
    mtbr member
    Ride sfo was able to put a heim 3 guide together for me in the spring from their spare parts.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by LDH
    Ride sfo was able to put a heim 3 guide together for me in the spring from their spare parts.
    Good to hear... Phil at Ridesfo is pretty chill and he'll make sure you're taken cared of...