mtbr member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im impressed! Holy SH*#.

OK ive rode alot of bikes and broke a few as well, Im aggressive and like to rail!
    As everyone knows I got a EVO finally for FR and was worried it was a bit small for me and conventionally it should be. I have been wanting one for 2 years + now so I was railed to get one.
    Now as you guys know I had it up for sale shortly after getting it then built it up and put it up for sale in fear that it would just be too short!
    Turns out its a little small but not bad, the biggest problem was is that Im used to racing and FR dh rigs that are 46" wheelbaswew plus DH sleds. Raked out and meant to slaughtert DH rocks drops and gaps. The problem isnt so much the size its me and what I wass used too.
    I rode a couple other AM fr rigs and realized they all felt really cramped and high sitting.
    Took the EVO out today and not only does it pedal really well up hill it smokes the singletrack and berms. Its great for smaller DH courses and semi gnar no doubt about it. It was stupid fast and handled amazing in and out of hte berms, drops and flat corners. I wouldnt take it to the big races as its not designed for the big nasty. but it is great in alot of areas!
    2 's to chumba on this one!

Didnt get any action pics but the ride up was 2600'+ and the ride down was muddy/snow/ICE/wet grass/cow poo and some fast single track with alot of rocks and doll heads all over the trail so it was a good fast run with unpredictable stuff and limited visabillity at times. I can honestly say hte bike kicked @$$, it corners well. Its a little sketchy yet in drifts and high speed swooping corners as the WB is a little shorter than Im used too but i think I can adjust. It handled rocks 8" jagged dollheads ets and rock chutes well. The suspension was spot on, a little softer on the way down but reacted as my big bike does for DH just real smooth and absorbing.

Tire choice could not have been better, I rode the Muddy Marys (schwalbe) 2.35 rear and a 2.5 front hooked up, I blew through a corner at atleast 30 mph (34 tooth maxxed out) and it was wet, muddy grass going into snow and ice and the tires didnt break free at all. I was on the road for the last little jont it was wet in spots, twisty and chased a dodge pick up down and through the corners maxxed out again and no slipping even had the bike leaned way over and kept the body loading the outside lugs.

On the way

From the bottom looking up (cant see top its half again higher in the clouds, we pedalled right from where I took the pic over 2600' up)

Bob the brodie rep and the bikes

Me at the top

The EVO getting ready to descend

Bike back at the in laws house

Some funk (mud and probably some cow poo in there !
    Last edited by bullcrew; 01-19-2009 at 06:34 AM.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Flying Goat
    haha, thats pretty sick dude... and once again, wished my budget builds were that good...

mtbr member
    I think someone had some caffeine!
    MTBR is homophobic

mtbr member
    Thanks Bullcrew - the EVO does seem to evoke that kind of reaction. ; P
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Evo

The new Chumba might be the slickest looking mountain bike I've ever seen. That blue is ridiculous. The blue Cobalts are the coolest wheels out there right now, blue levers/bar ends, the white stem/handlebars, xtr, DAMN! Too bad I'm a starving college student

mtbr member
    Ill post some pics of todays ride! again DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ride started off with a 2600' plus climb 7 miles in 28 degree weather to a descent that was mud/ice/snow/cow poo/wet grass etc... Now I slapped some new muddy marys on it for the inagural ride and it hooked up smoking fast, I pedaled the whole way up withoout stopping (for me thats an accomlishment) and more uphill than Ive pedalled ever in my life combined.

Bike rides great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The descent startedwith mud and Ice, then went to big snow patches, ice mud and wet grass. It was a access road at first then tighter single track. I pulled back 2 clicks of pro pedal and pulled the comp on the Z1 fr back 2 clicks and offed the rebound for quicker response and it was spot on. Bike is stupid well balanced and definently stayed centered all the time. Usually I expect when I hit a doll head rock (6-8" jagged round) on the trail I adjust for it, the evo is already allowing me over the rear wheel and the suspension just soakes them up. I was pinning muddy snow ice corners at 30+ mph I had 1 foot out for a drift and the muddy marys just held NO SLIDE!
    Had the 34 tooth pegged as fast as my 6'4" frame will pedal. Now pedaling with the suspension set up like this is a little difficult even on the evo as this is identical to how I run my DH bike. It is more platformed than the jedi but still has some absorption of the pedal strokes. If it didnt Id be worried as I have it soft for racing DH smaller courses and getting my feet wet on it and used to it. Off too the jump park next week with it as soon as the lines dry out to practice cornering tight laid out berms and 20'+ doubles. Its real nimble in the air, it spookds me a bitr being Im used to DH sleds for this type and not FR geo.
    Last edited by bullcrew; 01-17-2009 at 09:59 PM.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Some pics of you gettin wild on the Evo home chowder

mtbr member
    Pics up! Ill get some action pics soon, need to get a handle on the shorter wheelbase and the bike park is muddy right now or Id have it there railing already!
    My Sponsor House

ride hard take risks
    Awesome report in some insane conditions.

Brodie's are pretty pimp bikes.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

******ed or Branded??
    Hey great review!!! Got anymore pics or anymore comments on the bike? I am between the EVO and the Canfield "One". I will be demoing a EVO this weekend I hope I have a good time on it like you have with yours. I just wish there was a way to demo a One before I really make my decision.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Hey great review!!! Got anymore pics or anymore comments on the bike? I am between the EVO and the Canfield "One". I will be demoing a EVO this weekend I hope I have a good time on it like you have with yours. I just wish there was a way to demo a One before I really make my decision.
    My neighbor has one and I have had many occassions to ride it. I have an 08 575, and I can honestly say that the EVO, if you can get past the looks of it, has a nice ride quality. We both ride medium bikes, and I feel like I sit more "in" my 575, and "on" the EVO. It also feels like it has much more than 6" of travel, I don't think I have ever hit the bottom of the travel on it, on hits that my 575 does. It seems perfectly balanced with a 160mm fork, I wouldn't even consider an adjustable travel (a la TALAS) fork for it.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Yeah I sold it! Ehhhh!
    A fraction too small!
    Overall Im impressed with teh bike though. Stupid stable and definently does not feel like 6"s. It hits like a 7-8" FR/DH bike as far as landings and soaking up stuff. Corners like its on rails as well, I was blown away at how nimble it was.

Im a Canfield guy so Im back to just the Jedi, but I have ZERO bad things to say about the Chumba! For a freeride/am bike I think its probably the most well rounded aggressive and confidence inspiring bikes in the 6" category!
    My Sponsor House

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Yeah I sold it! Ehhhh!
    A fraction too small!
    Overall Im impressed with teh bike though. Stupid stable and definently does not feel like 6"s. It hits like a 7-8" FR/DH bike as far as landings and soaking up stuff. Corners like its on rails as well, I was blown away at how nimble it was.

Im a Canfield guy so Im back to just the Jedi, but I have ZERO bad things to say about the Chumba! For a freeride/am bike I think its probably the most well rounded aggressive and confidence inspiring bikes in the 6" category!

Could you see also using it for some epic rides 25+miles???
    same question to you too eyescream.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Yeah I sold it! Ehhhh!
    A fraction too small!

Pure DH or nothing.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Pure DH or nothing.
    It's all about the gravity wether its drops. hucks, DH or just plain putting it on the line! Nothing equals the rush!
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Could you see also using it for some epic rides 25+miles???
    same question to you too eyescream.
    I have done a 25 or so mile ride on my Evo with a fox Talas and the 08 Chumba AM build and the bike felt quite a bit better then the same climb on my mediocre cross country hard tail and was a lot more fun going down. That being said I have never had a good full suspension cross country bike to compare it too.

I also ride with a bunch of people more on the XC side of things with lighter bikes and donít do to bad keeping up as long as I am in comparable shape. The bike climbs like one much lighter than it is, when climbing seated the rear wheel sticks and I rarely find myself lowering the front end even for technical climbs once I got used to riding with a lighter front wheel.

And it is always super fun going down whether you earned your descent or paid for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I regularly use the Evo for all-day rides, up to 60-70 miles. I used to have a high end 4" travel XC bike for the long stuff, but the frame finally cracked; used the components to build up a light bike for the wife and started using the Evo for everything. I expected the transition to be a noticeable drag, but it wasn't: the same ride takes about the same time, I'm using the same gear ratios, and at the end of it I'm no more tired. I think that's because these rides have a lot of extended steep downhills on rough rocky surfaces. The Evo is so plush and easy on the downs that it compensates for the extra weight on the climbs... or that's how I figure it. Maybe on hardpack surfaces the difference would be more noticeable.

Any way you cut it, I do long rides on the bike and it works fine for me... not that I wouldn't build up a VF2 to fill that role if I had the chance!