mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Winterized Chumba XCL

Here are a few pics of my winterized Chumba XCL. I've been getting some good winter singletrack mileage in on my Chumba since switching out the standard tires for Nokian 294 Gazza studded snow tires. I have been able to run the Nokians tubeless on Mavic Crossmax tubeless rims with no problems at all. The Nokians have not even lost tire pressure since I first inflated them a few weeks ago. I am using a mixture of Stan's and Green Slime inside the tires. The XCL does very well in the snow and ice with the Nokians. After two seasons, I continue to be impressed by my sturdy, faithful, go anywhere Chumba XCL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bike long tyme.
    Pristine shots!
    Thanks for sharing! My XCL plays in the winter too. I'll have to find a few photos!

the train keeps rollin
    Why studs in soft snow? I run the biggest tires possible for floatation. Studs are nice in ice, and ice only IMO.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    As you say, big fat tires are great in snow for flotation. They are rarely appropriate for the winter terrain on which I ride, however, because while deep fluffy snow occurs once in a great while, 95% of the time my trail has ice from melted or packed snow. The road I ride to get to the trailhead frequently has ice as well. The type of tire you use for winter riding depends on where you ride and local winter conditions. Having said that, if you live in a locale where winter riding involves cold temperatures and snow, and unless you are riding exclusively on snowmachine trails or your own MTB trail no one else uses, I would wager that studded tires outperform fat tires under just about all winter riding conditions (except, of course, for a day or two after a heavy snowfall, and assuming there is no riding on roads to get to the trailhead). That's been my experience, anyway.
    Last edited by tundraline; 01-04-2009 at 11:45 AM.

mtbr member
    That's a nice XCL - one of the original production runs we did in Anaheim. I remember building that frame actually.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/