mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Whyte bikes USA preorder G-160 RS

I just preordered a Whyte G-160 RS. Should be here mid November. They had a 10% off coupon that made it a great deal. $3050 for a 160mm FS with a Pike, Monarch, Reverb, 11 SPD X1, Guide brakes, and WTB i29 wheels.

Has anyone else preordered from Whyte?

I normally ride an XL, but the G-160 only goes up to large. Everything except the seat tube looks good. It's quite short at 18", normally I'm on a 21". Whyte says this is for when long droppers hit the market. I hope they're right.

I was looking at YT and Commencal, and waiting for Canyon to get with it, but Whyte just had good timing. YT only had high-end models and weren't going to have any stock until January. The Commencal was really close in spec, but was $150 more for the Meta V4 Purple. And for some reason I was waffling on it.

I would just like to add that Jason with Whyte USA was really helpful and responded quickly to questions.

Whyte bikes USA preorder G-160 RS-g160-rs-feature.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Looks like a great build. Topping off with the Asym i29s is a nice touch for the kit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just ordered mine too! Thanks for the heads up on this deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No problem. Did you order the same model? It's such a great build. Only 2-3 weeks before it's here.

It's going to be the first bike where I don't have to change out 10 things on the bike to get it right. The only things I might change are the saddle and stem. Just for comfort. I'll have to see how the rear tire does on the loose rocks here in Tucson.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I got the same model, but with the "Works" build. Similar thoughts as you - no immediate upgrades needed. I don't care about the drivetrain so much as the suspension and wheels, which made the price difference worth it, especially considering the preorder discount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Agreed, that's actually why I decided on the RS model. I like the Asym i29 wheels. The hubs are Whyte branded Formula's. I can always swap the hubs out for DT's or Hopes. The Formula's should last a while. You can't beat the Rail wheels on the Works model though. I would have really liked the RCT3 and Monarch Plus too.

I just got an email that my bike is getting built and shipped soon. It's very cool. They set it up tubeless and get the suspension setup for you. They cut the bars and steerer if you want them to as well.

Live Free & Ride
    The Whyte bikes are all really nice rigs! Also noticed that they all come stock with 148mm boost spacing. The geometry is spot on and the 29er should take a plus setup with no problem. Too bad they don't offer these as frame only. Enjoy it!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've had mine for a few weeks. I'm really loving it. It climbs and descends really well. The geo is great and you can't beat the build for the money. It is such a great bike. Very happy customer.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Where are the stokage pics?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Put a few hundred miles on mine by now and really like it. It took some getting used to as the frame design is pretty different from my last bike (Diamond Back Mission with bonus upgrades). Long top tube and slack fork angle felt a little less playful for at least the first 10 rides. A few air plugs in the front fork and willingness to run the rear on "trail" or even "climb" have helped solve this. Suspension design is way better for climbing than the DB, but gets a little "hung up" on things on the way down. I'm adapting my style to prevent this but still haven't solved it. Great drivetrain and brakes.