mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Why no premium full 853 zion frame?

I've got an 853EBB 26 inch zion. It's great ... really love the handling etc. My only issue is that the frame is 5.5lbs from memory.

I see the Niner S.I.R. is something like 4.5lbs, and has 853 front triangle and a lighter EBB. I can't see if you can buy the EBB on its own from them.

I look at the new zion 29er versions, but I'd just like a little more bling in them ... full 853 and a Taiwanese copy of the niner EBB would be great.

Am I the only one who wants this?

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen
    I've got an 853EBB 26 inch zion. It's great ... really love the handling etc. My only issue is that the frame is 5.5lbs from memory.

I see the Niner S.I.R. is something like 4.5lbs, and has 853 front triangle and a lighter EBB. I can't see if you can buy the EBB on its own from them.

I look at the new zion 29er versions, but I'd just like a little more bling in them ... full 853 and a Taiwanese copy of the niner EBB would be great.

Am I the only one who wants this?

Just for reference: I picked up a 737 29er - size medium - 4.65 pounds for the frame with headset installed. I thought that was pretty good for a $150 steel frame. I realize this isn't the EBB version but I didn't think the EBB added a pound. I could be wrong. If nothing else, you now have another reference point.

Strictly my opinion, but I would much rather run an ENO hub on vertical dropouts than an eccentric bottom bracket. Less weight, less chance of creaking. I realize with the ENO hub you need to use a freewheel (which kind of sucks) but the White freewheel is really nice....

IMHO, the Zion brand is the antithesis of bling. Let's be realistic, the frame is a hundred and fifty bucks. Need to have reasonable expectations here. Personally, I'm glad there are companies making CHEAP frames with good geometry and a decent weight! I just hope it holds up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the frame. I wouldnt want them to stop selling them. I would like them to have the $150 version with good steel for the front triangle, and also have say a $250 or $300 one that has good steel for the rear too ... full 853 would be my first choice.

I've looked at some other frames that cost way more than the zion, and even they don't have a full tubeset ... so a Niner with full 853 would probably be $1100 or $1200 ... which is way too much, so it's simply that I'd think Zion could do it and still have a reasonable price.

I really like the eccentric bottom bracket as a solution for single speeds. The zion on is very heavy though ... I would say easily 1 lb. I had it out last week, but didnt weigh it. The Niner EBB looks very interesting.

Perhaps jenson could have the zion frame for $125 and then you choose either a $25 zion ebb, or a $150 Niner one ... then they'd have a $150 5.5 lb option and a $275 4.75 lb or so option.

And, yes, zion handling ... love it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Reynolds doesn't make 853 stays - only main tubes. Think its the same deal with OX platinum etc.