mtbr member

Why no KHS love?

Im having a hard time finding any reviews, videos etc.... On KHS bikes!
    The local BS is going to give me a killer deal on a 2013 5500 but im having a hard time dropping the coin due to lack of information.
    I need a bike that will rip down hill but still kill it on the climbs. Is this the bike? I don't know!

Captain Climber
    I agree. My LBS has them and they look nice. I really like the guy and would love to get a bike from him. How is KHS?

mtbr member
    my dilemma is the shop is too small to carry any inventory so I cant even test ride one, im just going by what he is telling me and a good price.

mtbr member
    I have a few KHS bikes I built from the frame up, they seem to be fine by me. I believe they may be "catalogue frames" but no issue on my end. I am riding an 09' XCT 525 (not a thing stock on it though) and it feels just as good if not better in some situations as my Jamis bikes.

Here it is as of now:

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    For what it is worth, I bought a 1992 KHS Montana Summit brand new in 1993 (last year's bike) as my first mountain bike. I still have it as an around-town / hybrid bike. After thousands of miles and 1 car-bike accident, the frame has held together great, and maybe 1/2 the components are original. The geometry is nearly identical to my Ritchey Ultra, which was a $1600 bike in 1987. I paid a little under $400 for the Montana (again, in 1993 as last-year's model).

I think they put together a quality bike for the money. I plan to consider another new KHS when I buy my next bike.
    2011 BMC SpeedFox SF01
    2014 Fuji Sportif 1.1 (road bike)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I got a killer deal on a 2014 KHS Bahada FS XC from my LBS. Great bike so far!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    My 08 xc204 has been everywhere. I love that bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

KHS Bahada on Capt Jacks trail

Why no KHS love?-mtb-captain-jacks.jpg

Colorado Springs CO! my 50th birthday ride! lol

mtbr member
    Well....some good feedback for a thread that started in January of 2014! But seriously, if there are some who still are interested in KHS, I can share my personal experience of working with the company back in the early-mid 90's. KHS tends to do a lot of collaboration with top minds in the bike business. They teamed up with John Howard (bike land speed record) in designing road bikes. Some of them were built by KHS, others handbuilt with KHS branding on them. I worked for Lennard Zinn for quite a few years in the 80's and 90's and helped build a bunch of prototype KHS aero bikes in road, time-trial and track configurations. We worked with one of the main engineers/designers at KHS and these folks know what they're doing.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    That's some good inside gouge! Any insight on the current XC MTB's?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    i've had an 09 khs 535, and now ride a '12 or '13 khs xct 556. i got it on closeout because it's a 26 inch bike.

i don't understand khs's marketing philosophy. you really have to look to find anything out about them. but i've had no problems, and have ridden with guys on $10k bikes that couldn't keep up. mine is tubeless, and we replaced the triple up front with a double, and switched the brakes/shifters to shimano.

the bike is bomb proof. i think i have a revelation up front, and a monarch on the rear.

it just rips. what else are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I got a great deal on a 2014 KHS 6500 from my LBS. The component specs are top notch. It is a great bike for the money.