Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Always in the wrong gear
    The Jabberwocky is 4130 Chromoly, the Verhauen is Columbus steel.
    The ride quality is nicer on the better tubing, and itís much lighter.
    My small JabberWocky weighed 6lb on the nose, frame only. My medium VerHauen weighs 4.6 frame only.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

jct
    mtbr member
    i've had good luck corresponding via email and their FB account.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks ArandonBr, I thought it might be the tubing, but I've been looking from a computer where a lot of the screens are blocked (at work).

I'll try facebook.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

jct
    mtbr member
    i will add that I run Vassago's boost Ti fork. i'm not sure who makes it, but it's a damn fine fork. plenty stiff and tracks like a champ. i'm 200lbs and ride it pretty hard. i've used various salsa cro-mo, vassago Otis, 9er, whiskey etc....this is probably the best.

but it could be the entire combo of frame/fork/wheels/tire etc that really make it shine.

good luck
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i will add that I run Vassago's boost Ti fork. i'm not sure who makes it, but it's a damn fine fork. plenty stiff and tracks like a champ. i'm 200lbs and ride it pretty hard. i've used various salsa cro-mo, vassago Otis, 9er, whiskey etc....this is probably the best.

but it could be the entire combo of frame/fork/wheels/tire etc that really make it shine.

good luck
    I haven't put a lot of effort into fork knowledge with mountainbikes coming from more a road background. It's a huge area I'm a little blank on.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post

I love Vassago. I wanted one for years before I bought my Jabberwocky last year, and they've got cult status here [...]

My small JabberWocky weighed 6lb on the nose, frame only. My medium VerHauen weighs 4.6 frame only.
    I admire your positive attitude. So many others have been complaining about the horrible customer service. Meanwhile, you rode a 6lb frame that was the wrong size, and loved it. But it broke. For your great attitude, you've been rewarded with a new lighter frame, that fits!
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

Always in the wrong gear
    It sounds quaint and naive possibly, but I always want the underdog to succeed. I think Tom offers a product that is excellent- essentially the same frame geometry in three different materials, basic steel, quality steel, titanium at a price point that I think is damned reasonable. Thereís a lot of steel plus frames out there, some have (IMO) some wacky geometry, and a few plus-capable ti frames are being made but theyíre either full-fat and narrowed down, or theyíre a Gnarvester or Hanzo Ti; or theyíre expensive custom. He just markets it rather poorly in many aspects.
    Iíve been fortunate that my customer service needs have always been met to my satisfaction, but donít discount those who havenít.
    If Tom would just hire someone to fix his website and keep it up to date, and publish a phone number that someone would actually answer, heíd sell double the frames he does.
    Hell, both times I talked to him by phone (a number he gave me by email) Iím pretty sure it was his personal cell because he answers with ďThis is TomĒ and not ďThanks for calling Vassago bikesĒ or whatever.

TL;DR- I like the simple one frame geo in three materials, I like the geometry for my part of the US, Iím willing to be patient with the one-man show to have one.

Also: @Ryder1- Iím 5í9Ē, actually at the very bottom of the size range for medium. I fit both frames just fine, but I upsized to medium for more room for water bottles. I actually went from a 20mm setback post to a 0-setback and kept everything else the same when I moved frames.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    I love my OX Platinum Vassago Verhauen. I am 5'7" and ride a small. I love the way the bike feels over rocks and bumps. Firm, but not too harsh. I am also local so I have met Tom many times in person. That all said he does need to work on the website and remote customer experience. He could expand alot I believe with more time those areas. Personally I owned the business I would run it differently. Then again it easy for me to say not being in the middle of it. My ex-wife was small business owner. Ran it as 1 man operation out of the house for years and I saw what she did for marketing/webstite/ customer support and it far superior than what Tom is doing. Of course she was not making bike frames so a very different market.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    i am 5'9" and have had recent issues with most "medium" frames with ~600mm ETT measurements being too short for me. so i got a medium Jabber through Cycle Progression. much better!

Where are my Vassago Bretheren???-circle-jabber.jpgWhere are my Vassago Bretheren???-jabber-rigid.jpg

100mm Reba
    Hadley rear hub
    70mm stem
    playing around with handlesbars- Answer 20/20s and some 720mm low-risers
    34/21 gear ratio (probably should go 32/20 to tuck the rear end in a little more.0

I also bought an Odis fork to go with it and i have been enjoying that a lot more than i thought i would.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Ruckus99ss
    Upgraded my IPA copper Verhauen. The pics do not do the color justice

2018 Vassago VerHauen
    New Evol Fox Factory 34
    Sunrigle Duroc 40 with I9 hubs
    Sram GX Crank
    Brooks Cambrium carbon saddle
    Raceface next post
    Bontrager pro 90mm stem
    Bontrager carbon bars
    Esi grips and togs
    Travail 2.6 tires (for now)
    26.3 lbs
    Where are my Vassago Bretheren???-unnamed.jpgWhere are my Vassago Bretheren???-503c2f57-a7f1-4d15-8c97-a28a06e6c2ad.jpg
    2016 Trek Project One Madone 9 with all SRAM Red 22 drivetrain and Bontrager Aeolus 3 wheels
    2016 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL -Absolute Black oval chainring
    2016 Vassago Verhauen IPA copper-Stans Arch, I9 hubs, X-fusion trace, Raceface next post, Renthal carbon bars, Bontrager seat/stem, Absolute Black oval chainring, Raceface cranks
    2015 Trek Stache 8 -back to stock

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus99ss View Post
    Upgraded my IPA copper Verhauen. The pics do not do the color justice
    Ahh Sidewinder trail, another Phx local! I've ridden by that marker in the first pic probably 50 times. All of Sonoran Preserve is almost built for singlespeeding.

You should definitely come hang with more Vassago guys at the Thursday night Shadetree rides.

I'll agree, that heat treated look is so poorly captured in pics, although you did a good job here! it's a stunner in the sunlight, in real person.

Edit: I saw a comment you made in another thread about only fitting a 2.8 in that frame- You can fit a 3.0 it just has to be kept to the "long half" of the sliders, which kinda sucks, but it is what it is.
    I ran a well-stretched 29" Chronicle that measured over 3.0 with digital calipers in my Verhauen for a while. it was fine with 32x18 or 19, could buzz the chain stay lightly at 32x20, which was slightly biased toward the front of the sliders.
    I moved to a Bomboloni that specs at 2.88" and have no problems with 32x20.

Ruckus99ss
    Ahh Sidewinder trail, another Phx local! I've ridden by that marker in the first pic probably 50 times. All of Sonoran Preserve is almost built for singlespeeding.

You should definitely come hang with more Vassago guys at the Thursday night Shadetree rides.

I'll agree, that heat treated look is so poorly captured in pics, although you did a good job here! it's a stunner in the sunlight, in real person.

Edit: I saw a comment you made in another thread about only fitting a 2.8 in that frame- You can fit a 3.0 it just has to be kept to the "long half" of the sliders, which kinda sucks, but it is what it is.
    I ran a well-stretched 29" Chronicle that measured over 3.0 with digital calipers in my Verhauen for a while. it was fine with 32x18 or 19, could buzz the chain stay lightly at 32x20, which was slightly biased toward the front of the sliders.
    I moved to a Bomboloni that specs at 2.88" and have no problems with 32x20.
    I have to hit it up one of these times. I have a 3.0 xr2 coming in this week. Iím going to put it on the front and take some measurements. I see the tires in it currently come in a 2.81 knob to knob. I think I can easily tweak another 1mm but not sure what they will end up at. Hoping I can run an xr2 (chupa) our back also but like you said there are some norrower 3.0s our there. Soon there should be a lot of 2.8ís out and can run 3.0 front 2.8 rear easily. Hoping one is an ikon 29x2.8!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone know the difference between the Moosknuckle and the Optimus Ti? Which one is better for xc racing/riding?

Is the sizing and geo the same?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Anyone know the difference between the Moosknuckle and the Optimus Ti? Which one is better for xc racing/riding?

Is the sizing and geo the same?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Aesthetics.

Per Tom, all Vassago frames have the same geometry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus99ss View Post
    2018 Vassago VerHauen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	1174039
    Ruckus, any feedback on the new VerHauen, as well as the wheelset? I have one about to be shipped, and went with a Duroc 40/DT350 wheelset...well, the rear wheel anyways. The front is a SON dynamo hub laced to the Duroc 40. I'm building this up to replace my carbon XC hardtail as my main bikepacking rig.

Click Click Click

Mooseknuckle is born

Another Mooseknuckle has been spotted! I finally was able to get my dirty hands on a Mooseknuckle! I have been wanting one of these ever since they started making them, and my wildest dreams have come true, lol.

Meet Mr.Dick he is one rowdy mofo.

Where are my Vassago Bretheren???-20180209_082047.jpgWhere are my Vassago Bretheren???-20180211_133917.jpgWhere are my Vassago Bretheren???-20180210_080823.jpg
    "You either want to or you don't."

Not a Barry supporter.
    A Jabber gets a second life!

This is my 2007 Jabber. I rode it for 9 years straight. In July 2016 I decided to get a custom Samsara SS and haven't looked back. Then I started getting an itch to get back on the ol' Jabber. I mean, we had lots of good times, lots of miles, and several states of riding bliss together.

So, I started digging in my parts bin to see what I had and started making a list. It turned out I only needed a fork and some odds and ends. She was finished in December last year and is my perfect companion on the canals. We already have 6 or so rides together this year. She's such a blast to ride and putting smiles on my face again.

I'm still not sure about the Origin8 Batwing bar. I think I'll replace that soon. It's pretty narrow and I can't quite seem to get the right angle on it. I plan on making a frame bag and I really want to take her on some bike packing trips.

Anyway, here's an old lady still going strong...just with a different purpose in life than what she was for 9 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where are my Vassago Bretheren???-v_1.jpg  

Where are my Vassago Bretheren???-v_2.jpg  

Where are my Vassago Bretheren???-v_3.jpg  

Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!