mtbr member

Wheelsets for Buildkits?

Hello everyone,

I am spec'ing out wheelsets for our AM kits for our bikes. I wanted to take a quick poll on what everyone wanted for wheels. If you could chime in with hub and rim preferences and axle preferences that would be great! Thanks in advance.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Flying Goat
    135X12mm rear hub. Maybe a Hope Pro2. Front doesnt really matter... ADD Lite for rims and 1.8-2.0mm DT Swiss competition spokes...Reason for the 135X12 is that you could run a 12mm axle with a 10mm dropout and that will be nice for stiffness... The 135X12 can also be interchangeble with the F5 frame unlike the solid 10mm axles which most companies have...

mtbr member
    King or I9 classic hubs... DT/Mavic rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    135X12mm rear hub. Maybe a Hope Pro2. Front doesnt really matter... ADD Lite for rims and 1.8-2.0mm DT Swiss competition spokes...Reason for the 135X12 is that you could run a 12mm axle with a 10mm dropout and that will be nice for stiffness... The 135X12 can also be interchangeble with the F5 frame unlike the solid 10mm axles which most companies have...
    umm.. you can't run a 12mm in a standard axle, and the F5 needs 135mm with 10mm offset, that's not going to work on many bikes.

I do like the Hope/Stans Flow Combo you guys built up for me, it's still going strong, even after beating them at Whistler.

wuss
    I think the new XT wheelsets are pretty good for the money. I do prefer DT hubs and rims though, but considering the price... Hope hubs are too noisy for my taste. For Axels I definately prefer 20mm through. Anything else and I would want a convertible hub so that I can change forks without dishing out for a new front wheel (especially annoying if you happen to like your old front wheel)...

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor
    umm.. you can't run a 12mm in a standard axle, and the F5 needs 135mm with 10mm offset, that's not going to work on many bikes.

I do like the Hope/Stans Flow Combo you guys built up for me, it's still going strong, even after beating them at Whistler.
    Yes you can... I mentioned earlier already about the 12mm axle with 10mm dropouts... I believe Azonic along with other companies make them... F5 uses a 135mmX12mm hub so it will fit... the 15mm offset is from the floating brake link. So yes it should work on many bikes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    Yes you can... I mentioned earlier already about the 12mm axle with 10mm dropouts... I believe Azonic along with other companies make them... F5 uses a 135mmX12mm hub so it will fit... the 15mm offset is from the floating brake link. So yes it should work on many bikes...
    the wheel is built "zero dish" offset 10mm to the non-drive side, it won't work on many other bikes.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor
    the wheel is built "zero dish" offset 10mm to the non-drive side, it won't work on many other bikes.
    oh yea, i forgot about the dishing... It's an easy fix though... I dished my wheel on the frame itself in 30 minutes... no problem...

mtbr member
    Shimano is always solid. Chris King is the best. Period. I9 has a tendency to break catastrophically (the freehub). DT Swiss is nice but I never feel like you get the same amount of quality as a CK for the same price. Thru Axle!!!!!! No one should be using skewers anymore. Chris King with Fun-bolts!

And ADD Lite rims all the way! Rode them all summer. I squared one set but not one flat! I must of had 17 catastrophic dents! (P.S. this was when I was running a tire pressure of 20. Silly me.) Still no flats. DT swiss spokes makes switching out rims (when you must) easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Galen
    \ DT swiss spokes makes switching out rims (when you must) easy.
    Curious as to why DT Swiss is easier over say, Wheelsmith? And are you referring to Champion or Competition, or others?

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Not sure who makes them but I would love to see a 20 mm Maxle like what is used on the RS Pike, for the rear as well. Seems to address the best of both worlds, quick release ease and 20 mm stiffness in one fell swoop.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    Not sure who makes them but I would love to see a 20 mm Maxle like what is used on the RS Pike, for the rear as well. Seems to address the best of both worlds, quick release ease and 20 mm stiffness in one fell swoop.
    Yea - I like that concept too. I think the new Rebas come in a 20mm. http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/crosscountry/reba/#tab1

We are testing out the 15mm now -- we'll see how that goes.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    hadley hubs with mavic xm 819 dt spokes. I feel the rear end is stiff enough with a quick release but would not mind seeing a rear thru axle.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    dt 5.1 with sapim xray spokes brass nipples and hope pro 2 hubs. or dt 240s

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by hairygut
    dt 5.1 with sapim xray spokes brass nipples and hope pro 2 hubs. or dt 240s
    but the hope hubs come in cool colours!!!

i'm just kd... sounds sweet either way... lols

banned
    On the OEM level some of these recs seem prohibitively expensive. If I were Chumba, I'd look into Halo or go to Taipei and get one of these new highly recommended designs private labeled (you likely know which manufacturer I'm speaking of).