mtbr member

What does your EVO weigh?

Not that I am a weight weenie, but I got hurt over the winter (broke femur at the knee) and wont be getting as crazy as intended with my EVO this summer, so I am looking to pedal the bike more to get back where im comfy on the bike and gain some strength and confidence before I take it back to the hills aggressively.

So I weighed my back and it was 36.6. Ive had it at 34 before with alot less durable components, and not as ncie.

Combo is

Talas 36 RC2
    DHX 5.0 Air rear shock
    Truvativ Style GXP AM 2.2
    Sram x-9 shifters and triggers
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up from, High roller 2.1 out back.
    Diety Bars
    Transition Temple Stem
    Raceface XC seatpost
    WTB Shadow V seat
    Juicy 7's 185F 160r

I think most of my weight penalty is coming from rims which I have the Transition Revolution 32 wheelset @ 2455 grams. This wheel is more of a freeride/DH style rim which was gonna tailored towards the riding I planned on doing. Although from my limited research 1800 grams seems to be where it gets spendy and start losing weight, but also sacrifice some strength. Not sure what the best AM wheelset is out there right now not costing a fortune but near or under the 2000 gram mark.

I did a slight breakdown changing out bars, stem and wheelset would run me close to 500ish for quality components with a weightloss of about 2lbs on the nose. Im thinking of just going with a lighter wheelset for now to reduce rotating mass.

Thoughts? What are some of the EVO's out there weighing in at?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Tell me about it. A friend of mine's got the Revolution 36s and her bike weighs a ton..however those wheels are strong! I like the Chumba stock rims that came with my XCL. I've bashed them through a lot of stuff for the last two seasons and have yet to need to have them trued.

36 lbs isn't much different than 34. Stop eating for a couple of days...that should even things out.

nerfherder
    Taking weight off the wheels will make a noticeable difference. The bike will feel lighter. That's the most important place to lose weight - within reason considering your intended application, of course.

mtbr member
    Thanks......I love the Transition stuff for some reason. Durable components, but reasonably priced. They have a Revolution All Mountain wheelset also. I think they are right at 2000 grams as well.

The bike doesnt pedal bad at all, the staggered front/rear tire size combo helped out alot. From the limited amount of riding ive done, the high roller isnt awfully to bad in the sketch.

mtbr member
    My medium 2008 Evo weighs 33 lbs. and lovin' the ride.

Build
    Answer ProTaper OS Carbon bar
    Chris King headset
    Thomson Stem Elite x4 and seat Post Elite
    Chumba wheelset
    Fox Talas 36 R
    Fox DHX 5.0
    FSA Moto X-Cranks
    Chumba seat, grips & seat post collar
    SRAM X-9 shifters & rear derailer
    XTR front derailer
    Avid Juicy 7's
    Shimano PD-M545 pedals
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 DST front tire
    Hutchinson Spider 2.1 rear tire

mtbr member
    Just weighed the bike again today 4 different times. I think my scale was off orginally. It weighed 34, 34.2 34, and 34.2

So im guessing with a decent wheelset it would weigh in the 33 range. I knew the 36.6ish was a lil on the highside

mtbr member
    new weight, with new wheelset. Set of Sun Ringle Chargers.....still 20mm thru axle. QR out back now.

34.2 with DHX Coil, above weights were with an DHX Air. .......Im sure with the DHX Air its a solid 33lb bike. I feel I can shave another 1/2 point from it ditching the DH Diety Bars, and transition stem, but its trivial at this point. Lots of rotational mass was just freed up between a 2510g wheelset vs the new one which is 1791g.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by nojoke
    new weight, with new wheelset. Set of Sun Ringle Chargers.....still 20mm thru axle. QR out back now.

34.2 with DHX Coil, above weights were with an DHX Air. .......Im sure with the DHX Air its a solid 33lb bike. I feel I can shave another 1/2 point from it ditching the DH Diety Bars, and transition stem, but its trivial at this point. Lots of rotational mass was just freed up between a 2510g wheelset vs the new one which is 1791g.
    Hey Nojoke,

How do you like those Chargers? What kind of abuse have you put them through?
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Slightly shy of 40 lbs.
    2.5 High Rollers tires on Core wheels
    Marz 66rc2 fork
    DHX Air

built by theOtherMtr
    Last edited by Kimo_therapy; 07-29-2009 at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    I do miss riding an EVO - should build one up again and throw a Hammerschmidt on there..

A.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You could throw the Hammerschmidt on my bike and call it consumer testing. Promise i would return it when finished. My 08 EVO is 32 lbs w/ sun ringle charger rims and dirty flea/jumping flea hubs. As for durability of the rims, no issues. Had to re tension the spokes once. Normal. Perhaps i should post pics someday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Hey Nojoke,

How do you like those Chargers? What kind of abuse have you put them through?

I can definitely tell the bike is rolling alot better, pedals going up ALOT better. The old rims were 32mm wide, these are 28's, so the tires are sucked in a lil bit more. Feels just as rigid as the old combo did. The old wheels were thru axle in the back, this is a QR skewer style, again, seems just as rigid.

Only had them on for 3 days, just riding some small trails here in town, small log drops 2-3ft no issues. Its been pouring here and the usual mountain spot is pretty sloshed out right now, waiting for it to calm down before we I head up into the mtn's.

mtbr member
    Verdict is in.....these rims are badass, took some small jumps, drops, this wheelset is AWESOME....the EVO pedaled good already, now it pedals like some XC bike, going up just got easier. Alot more nimble and quick in the twisties as well. Didnt sacrifice any rigidity either.

mtbr member

Verdict is in.....these rims are badass, took some small jumps, drops, this wheelset is AWESOME....the EVO pedaled good already, now it pedals like some XC bike, going up just got easier. Alot more nimble and quick in the twisties as well. Didnt sacrifice any rigidity either.
    Right on - I love those wheels and am also looking at the FSA Gravity Light wheelset. I am pretty excited about building a new EVO, and want to run a Marz 55 up front with a coil rear damper.

mtbr member
    Ive ran the coil and the DHX Air out back before...Coil wins hands down....cant say enough about that shock. Awesome small bump, and its so plush thru the travel its awesome, crank the pro pedal up, and it climbs like a fuggin billy goat.

My Talas 36 RC2 does good, but Ive ridden 2 evo's with Lyric Coils on them, and been impressed, seem to have better small bump compliance and soak up. The Talas 36 definitely is a tad less plush, I ride with about 25mm of sag in the front though, pretty tight.. It handles the hits though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Evo with 36 Talas and DHX Coil

Ive ran the coil and the DHX Air out back before...Coil wins hands down....cant say enough about that shock. Awesome small bump, and its so plush thru the travel its awesome, crank the pro pedal up, and it climbs like a fuggin billy goat.

My Talas 36 RC2 does good, but Ive ridden 2 evo's with Lyric Coils on them, and been impressed, seem to have better small bump compliance and soak up. The Talas 36 definitely is a tad less plush, I ride with about 25mm of sag in the front though, pretty tight.. It handles the hits though.

I have also been running a 36 Talas RC2 on my Evo and have found the ride to be kind of harsh on fast rough downhills. I just bought another Marzocchi 66 Light in 170mm length and I believe it will be a great improvement. I put the 36 on my Blur LT2 and it completely transformed that bike over the Pike 454 Air it replaced. As for the rear shock, my frame came with a DHX Air 5.0 and it was ok but I replaced it with a DHX Coil 5.0 with a 2.25" stroke and the bike feels like an 8" travel downhill bike. Soooooo PLUSH!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

37.81lbs but it is going up

My Evo currently weighs 37.81lbs. with downhill wheels and tubeless DH Michelin tires. I am running a DHX Coil shock. I am swapping out the Fox 36 Talas for a Marzocchi 66 Light this week so it is going to go up another 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. It is built for going downhill fast and uphill very slowly!

Compulsive Bike Builder
    I had a previous generation EVO at around 33lbs. The new frames are lighter for sure. If you went an air fork like a Talas 36 or Lyrik, Stan's Flow/hope wheelset, a couple of XC parts where it really does not matter, etc., you could get a real world EVO under 30 lbs.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    I have no doubt with a air rear shock it would weigh in the 32.9ish range. I could shave a nice chunk with a Titanium spring on the coil...it would weight close to a DHX 5.0 then. It would be a solid 33lb bike them, and still be pretty damn strong.

Update on the Sun Ringles, jumped them a handful of times now, some small drops etc....no issues. Also running a 2.4 maxxis Ardent up front now, and a 2.35 Nevegal dtc out back. Combo does it all.

mtbr member
    here it is.....its current config 34.0 lbs

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I had a set of the old chargers that had the sos rims, They were holding up great until I put a big flat spot in the rear rim. Looking for some equalizer rims now to build them back up. The wheelset came in at 1880 grams, so I have no complaints, I dished out a lot of abuse on those rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That is a smart looking bike! Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Mine weighs 32.13 pounds ( from digital scale at bike shop). I don't have
    any ultralite parts on it, just decent trail riding stuff.
    I actually have an rp23 and a Pike Dual Air on there. It actually works pretty
    well for XC with that configuration. I think it actually climbs better than the '07 XCL
    I had before with the DHX Air. I plan on upgrading to the TALAS 36 ASAP.
    Now I'm starting to wish I had stuck with the DHX instead, though.
    More tunable, more versatile.

mtbr member
    After some off-season modifications in the long winter here in Alaska I got some new weights.....

33.91 with the coil 32.89 with the air

I could probably trim some more if I wanted, but this thing is pretty much a tank right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0