mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Well, it was nice helping you guys!

I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure helping you guys and that I was let go today by IH. Essentially, anything I've said here about having parts in stock for DW link bikes is pretty much void as I can't guarantee anything anymore. Lets just say their in dire straights if they can't afford my salary so they most likely won't be able to get parts for most of these bikes for a while, or warranty parts in general. Anyway, it was nice helping you guys where I could. I'm most likely getting out of the industry, or at least taking a break from it. IH left such a bad taste in my mouth I'm not even capable of looking at a bike without shaking my head.

Good Luck with your bike!

-Carl
    Last edited by CarlE; 12-09-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Ex-employee of

Iron Horse www.ironhorsebikes.com
    K2 Bikes www.k2bike.com

mtbr member
    IH is completely done!! Letting go of there best employee is proof there in serious trouble.. Carl Thank you for all your help on this forum but DO NOT let this get you down your an Extremely knowledgeable person and the bike industry would be happy to have you working for them..

My MKIII is going up for sale I was looking at getting an IH cross country bike for next season but this just sealed the deal on not buying IH and getting ride of my current bike. I for one like great customer support and someone who knows what there talking about well that just went right out the window..

mtbr member
    Sorry Carl! Best of luck.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Criminy! Carl, best of luck to you. This is simply amazing, IH purposely shooting themselves in both feet, then stringing a rope around their neck but swallowing a cyanide pill before kicking over the stool.

My wife's '05 Azure frame is boxed up but tucked away in storage awaiting some free time to sell it. At this rate, I'll get Wall*Mart bike prices for it on eBay. Nutz.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks guys! They've got decent stock on most pivot kits at the moment so I'd order now if there's any chance you'll need em in the near future.
    Ex-employee of

K2 Bikes www.k2bike.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is awful. Carl, I just recently joined the forums and was able to benefit from only a little bit of your insight and expertise, but it was very much appreciated. Best of luck to you and I hope you find a much better place to work. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wow...this is really messed up. Sorry, Carl! But I am optimistic that other companies will fight for you, so good luck with everything!

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    Huge mistake on IH's part. Listen to these guys on here, and don't let this experience throw you off course on something you're obviously very good at.

Tire Geek O_o

This makes me even more insecure on buying the two 6ps that I needed for Xmas, unless RSCycles comes out with a very very very good price, since I´d have to buy extra pivots (just in case).

banned
    It was around the corner. The rep around those parts from the former employees speaks a lot of the restructuring inside.

Believe no one because they can get s*itcanned the next day, then go back on the promises they made while they were employed.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the hard work and support Carl!

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

To RS cycles

With the discounts that are going on, I was pretty excited about ordering an MKIII. The bike always had great reviews, and with the prices around 2grand for the best equipped one... it doesn't seem to have an equal. Seeing the comments here is concerning.

Any official response from RS?

Sorry to hear about it to the guy who lost his job, I saw that you were very helpful in this forumn and going "above and beyond" with customer service. Seemed clear from here anyway. But... you were very positive about IH before they let you go, so...

Something is missing...

Capricious youth...
    That sucks, man.

Everyone's gone. SkaTodd, Carl, etc.

WTF is happening!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Meh.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wow....

Supreme Enchilada
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WellSprung
    Sorry to hear about it to the guy who lost his job, I saw that you were very helpful in this forumn and going "above and beyond" with customer service. Seemed clear from here anyway. But... you were very positive about IH before they let you go, so...

Something is missing...
    Not really anything missing. Having contact with the public(sales, marketing, cs, etc) you need to be wearing your company hat regardless of your personal opinions of the company/management. Your lively hood depends on the success of the company so it's in your best interest to portray a positive image. I assume Carl was simply doing his job by portraying a positive attitude to us the consumers.
    2006 Iron Horse MKIII Team
    On One Inbred SS
    2009 Santa Cruz Bullit

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_socal
    Not really anything missing. Having contact with the public(sales, marketing, cs, etc) you need to be wearing your company hat regardless of your personal opinions of the company/management. Your lively hood depends on the success of the company so it's in your best interest to portray a positive image. I assume Carl was simply doing his job by portraying a positive attitude to us the consumers.
    Well, I understand the "missing" part, as Carl was assuring everyone that the company is doing great and parts will be available for years to come. Now that he was canned, he instantly changed the story about the availability.

What's missing is if he's slagging the company due to being a disgruntled former employee and obviously not seeing this coming, or if he was lying about the availability all along. There's only two options here, one makes IH look good and him bad, one makes both look bad.

FWIW, many here, like myself, have heard the stories coming from within that building on that side of the country. This kind of stuff is no surprise to those from that area, and those that know or ride with those people. They can easily hire new people, as labor is plentiful and they can hire for less money.

Everyone is expendable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Bummer

Best of luck.

How does one order a pivot kit?

GAME ON!
    thanks for everything, carl.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Well, I understand the "missing" part, as Carl was assuring everyone that the company is doing great and parts will be available for years to come. Now that he was canned, he instantly changed the story about the availability.

What's missing is if he's slagging the company due to being a disgruntled former employee and obviously not seeing this coming, or if he was lying about the availability all along. There's only two options here, one makes IH look good and him bad, one makes both look bad.

FWIW, many here, like myself, have heard the stories coming from within that building on that side of the country. This kind of stuff is no surprise to those from that area, and those that know or ride with those people. They can easily hire new people, as labor is plentiful and they can hire for less money.

Everyone is expendable.
    I never said the company was doing great, just that we had in stock and were ordering more parts for the DW link bikes. They still have good stock on pivot kits for the newer 07/08 stuff, not so much on the 05/06 stuff (Sunday's and MKIII's). I was responsible for making up the parts orders for next season and now that I'm not there I can't exactly guarantee they'll be ordered. With the minimum quantities that order would have come to just about a year of my salary so if they can't afford me then I doubt they'll order the parts.
    Ex-employee of

K2 Bikes www.k2bike.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingfan
    Best of luck.

How does one order a pivot kit?
    Give Mike a call at 1-800-645-5477 option 3.
    Ex-employee of

K2 Bikes www.k2bike.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for all the well wishes guys!
    Ex-employee of

K2 Bikes www.k2bike.com

mtbr member
    Carl, thanks for all your hard work while at Iron Horse we appreciate it at Randall Scott Company.

Guys If you are reading the news companies from Yahoo - Best Buy (the list goes on) have been forced to lay off staff in this down economy. it doesn't mean the world is coming to an end. Companies just have to be extremely smart with their overhead and unfortunately this means some staff are let go.

With regard to Iron horse and warranty parts:

Nothing has changed: Randall Scott Company will continue to take care of any bikes purchased from us that have a valid warranty situation and need parts, etc. Carl not being with iron horse does not equal issues with Warranty parts. This is not substantiated and obviously the situation has left Carl angry and upset.

We have some of the best Bike deals in the country right now. Jump on them while they last.

Please don't let the rumor mill run wild.

Carl hold your head up high you will be fine!

Happy Riding to all!
    Last edited by Randall Scott Company; 12-10-2008 at 10:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Go RS!!

mtbr member
    Sorry to see you go Carl! Thanks for your help with my Azure pins, it works like a charm now. I'm currently out of work myself, so I will be riding the Azure for a while, luckily it's holding up well.

semantic blockage
    Thanks a bunch Carl - this will just present a better opportunity for you.

I love my MKIII, but for the life of me, I've never understood the enigma that is IH.

Good luck to you

Industry Loudmouth
    Carl, from one former employee to another, I wish you the best in a down market but keep your head high! The grass IS greener and smells A LOT nicer!

-ska todd

GAME ON!
    especially if you manage to score a job with evil. evil is awesome.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Scott Company
    Carl, thanks for all your hard work while at Iron Horse we appreciate it at Randall Scott Company.

Guys If you are reading the news companies from Yahoo - Best Buy (the list goes on) have been forced to lay off staff in this down economy. it doesn't mean the world is coming to an end. Companies just have to be extremely smart with their overhead and unfortunately this means some staff are let go.

With regard to Iron horse and warranty parts:

Nothing has changed: Randall Scott Company will continue to take care of any bikes purchased from us that have a valid warranty situation and need parts, etc. Carl not being with iron horse does not equal issues with Warranty parts. This is not substantiated and obviously the situation has left Carl angry and upset.

We have some of the best Bike deals in the country right now. Jump on them while they last.

Please don't let the rumor mill run wild.

Carl hold your head up high you will be fine!

Happy Riding to all!
    RS
    Do you guys sell the pivot kits for the 08 sunday world cup as well as any other parts such as replacement front and rear triangles?
    I might pick up a few for this coming season just in case.
    Thanks
    RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

mtbr member
    rufusdesign: We do not sell these. If you have a warranty we can assist and get it taken care of.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    especially if you manage to score a job with evil. evil is awesome.
    agreed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

IH Contact

Hi everyone, this is Mike with Ironhorse. I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I will be on here as often as possible to try to help out with any questions or problems that you're having. I apologize, it may not be as often as Carl was, but needless to say we are shorthanded.
    Carl's knowledge and willingness to help will be sorely missed by almost everyone at this company. I'm sure that there are good things ahead for him, and he will be an asset to any company that he is with. Personally, I wish him nothing but the best.
    A few of you have been in contact with me already. For those of you who haven't, I can be reached the same way you got in touch with Carl or Mike (MJ) before him. (800-645-5477, menu option 3). You can speak with either John or myself.
    World Wide Cycle Supply

Ironhorse Bikes: http://www.ironhorsebikes.com
    K2 Bikes: http://www.k2bikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    keep your head up

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a 6point6, very happy with the bike. Carl, you'll be alright, its just bad economy so that doesn't mean they're going out of business. Hopefully you can find a better place, see ya.

ride hard take risks
    Sorry to hear about the loss but as many have said the grass just may be greener on the other side. Dont give up on something you enjoy doing because of bad circumstances keep your chin up keep riding and stay in touch with friends you will do awesome. Maybe Fraser needs a little help another IH employee that went on to greatness.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mud junkie
    I wouldn't have bought an IH if it weren't for Carl...As it turns out 3 of my mates also bought for themselves...

Thanks for all the advise Carl. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IHMikeP
    Hi everyone, this is Mike with Ironhorse. I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I will be on here as often as possible to try to help out with any questions or problems that you're having. I apologize, it may not be as often as Carl was, but needless to say we are shorthanded.
    Carl's knowledge and willingness to help will be sorely missed by almost everyone at this company. I'm sure that there are good things ahead for him, and he will be an asset to any company that he is with. Personally, I wish him nothing but the best.
    A few of you have been in contact with me already. For those of you who haven't, I can be reached the same way you got in touch with Carl or Mike (MJ) before him. (800-645-5477, menu option 3). You can speak with either John or myself.
    Mike, I'm hoping you can give me some information regarding a warranty replacement frame which was to be shipped out on 1/15 or 1/16. My LBS (Trek Pittsburgh) has not received the frame and no one is returning their calls. I've sent both you and John emails and left you both voice mails. Please advise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bacolmm
    Mike, I'm hoping you can give me some information regarding a warranty replacement frame which was to be shipped out on 1/15 or 1/16. My LBS (Trek Pittsburgh) has not received the frame and no one is returning their calls. I've sent both you and John emails and left you both voice mails. Please advise.
    OK, it's been almost 3 weeks since they said they shipped this frame and it still has not shown up. I was thinking I'd have it in a week or less, am I crazy? Now I call their customer service number during normal business hours and it tells me they're closed. WTF? I’m starting to wonder if I'll ever get this frame. Is IH out of business?

Capricious youth...
    From what I've heard, you may never get this frame.

IH seems to have quietly taken a sh*t on their customers, and their employees.

Looks like they pulled an Enron, and got out while the gettin' was good. Shady, horrible people over there if you ask me.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That really womps if the rumors are true.

For what it's worth, I called up their customer service today and it said they weren't open either, even though it's within their stated business hours. Can't find any other news about it online to confirm this or not. Just the couple threads in this forum...
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Probably also a bad sign that no one from RS/IH has posted to quell the rumors.

If they go out of business, or pull a Schwinn and stop making the nice bikes, I hope they liquidate their inventory and we can get some good deals!

mtbr member
    All this is making me really sad, was just looking into IH for my next bike.
    Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

No surpise....

Original post deleted by poster.

All information used to formulate the opinions expressed in the post I have deleted is public. The sources used to formulate the opinions I posted are Iron Horse’s & RSCycle’s own press releases, comments about Iron Horse from former dealers included in stories published by B.R.A.I.N. and elsewhere, hundreds of posts on various cycling forums over the course of several years from people sharing their experiences as customers, employees, and dealers of Iron Horse & RSCycle, and my own general knowledge of business and economics.

Nevertheless, I formally retract all statements previously posted by me regarding Iron Horse or RSCycle as I have been informed that they are false rumors designed to defame RSCycle and Iron Horse. That was not my intention but it’s not worth it to me to risk a single cent to leave my opinions about either of these companies in circulation if my opinions are interpreted by either as an attempt to spread false rumors designed to defame them. However, my personal understanding is that had my posts truly been defamatory toward Iron Horse or RSCycle, they would have been removed by moderators.
    Last edited by WolfnSheepsClothing; 02-11-2009 at 10:52 AM.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    IHMIKEP that introduced himself above already got laid off

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfnSheepsClothing View Post
    Original post deleted by poster.

All information used to formulate the opinions expressed in the post I have deleted is public. The sources used to formulate the opinions I posted are Iron Horse’s & RSCycle’s own press releases, comments about Iron Horse from former dealers included in stories published by B.R.A.I.N. and elsewhere, hundreds of posts on various cycling forums over the course of several years from people sharing their experiences as customers, employees, and dealers of Iron Horse & RSCycle, and my own general knowledge of business and economics.

Nevertheless, I formally retract all statements previously posted by me regarding Iron Horse or RSCycle as I have been informed that they are false rumors designed to defame RSCycle and Iron Horse. That was not my intention but it’s not worth it to me to risk a single cent to leave my opinions about either of these companies in circulation if my opinions are interpreted by either as an attempt to spread false rumors designed to defame them. However, my personal understanding is that had my posts truly been defamatory toward Iron Horse or RSCycle, they would have been removed by moderators.
    I retract my retraction.

gone walk about
    7yrs later?? really??!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    7yrs later?? really??!!
    I haven't been on here in years