Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107

    waited all day for my F5 and it was worth it

    I called out of work today so I could sign for my F5 when it arrived. I would have been trying to get it from fedex all week if I weren't there today.

    The delivery truck didn't come till 3pm. Every time I heard a diesel drive by I ran out to look all day, which was alot because we live across the street from a school. I was so bored because I couldn't leave the house. I even built a Dj bike up from scrap parts, lowered, and changed the oil in the fork while I was waiting
    I would have the build done but I still need a couple parts. My deity tibia seatpost was delivered to work today, and I have a ti-fly seat waiting to go on. Walter forgot to put my bottom bracket in the box with the frame, but I'll have one from a friend on thursday. I'm definitely gonna change out the cranks for a lighter set of vendettas and get a Ti spring for it soon.

    here's the build so far:
    06 888rc
    cane creek s8 headset
    odi oury lock-on grips
    deity dirty thirty bars
    code 7 magnesium brakes 8"
    203mm hope 2 peice rotors
    x9 shifter and med x9 rear deraileur avid flack jacket cable
    11-32 sram 990 cassette and chain (will be 11-26 road cass)
    2.5 nevegal single ply ghetto tubeless front
    2.5 nev DH ghetto tubeless rear
    azonic outlaws, redished for the floating brake
    mrp g2 chain guide
    truvativ hollsfeller cranks 38t ( will be deity vendetta dh cranks)
    Once I'm sure the spring rate is correct for the rear I'll order a TI spring for it.

    I'll post again when it's done. I wish I could ride it but, that's kinda tough with no cranks

    Team _________

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kipdrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    320
    Sick dude, with any luck I'll be on one soon too
    How tall are you, and what size is it?

  3. #3
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Awesome build going there on a plush bike. The wait for the delivery is always the most stressful ya never know when they will show up. That Green is sweet.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  4. #4
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    dude... that bike looks legit!!!!!!! you're gonna so love her... XD

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    I don't even know what size it is. I don't have a usable seat or cranks on it yet so I can't sit on it. I will have the new seat and post on tonight so at least I can sit on it. I'll also measure the headtube and see what size frame it is. I'm 6'2"-3" and it seems to be the right size. I'll have it all together on friday at the latest so I'll let you know then. I hope this thing is under 40lbs, but we'll see. I have some tricks up my sleeve if it isn't.
    Team _________

  6. #6
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Once you feel the ride the weight will be the last thing on your mind,
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Once you feel the ride the weight will be the last thing on your mind,
    Oh, I know. All the same I'm going full weight weenie on this thing. I've got a problem on the bottom bracket situation. I though I had one lined up, but as it turns out, it was a 100mm. I'm gonna call deity up in 1 hr when they open and beg them to get me a crankset by Friday. Too bad they don't make a ti spindle in 83mm.
    Team _________

  8. #8
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    Oh, I know. All the same I'm going full weight weenie on this thing. I've got a problem on the bottom bracket situation. I though I had one lined up, but as it turns out, it was a 100mm. I'm gonna call deity up in 1 hr when they open and beg them to get me a crankset by Friday. Too bad they don't make a ti spindle in 83mm.

    How did it go with Deity??? OR to PA 2 days is gonna be killa on shipping.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    I got a hold of them yesterday and I should have my cranks and sprocket tommorrow. I was a bout $40 for shipping which is what I expected. But, hey they threw in a free hat at least.
    Team _________

  10. #10
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    I got a hold of them yesterday and I should have my cranks and sprocket tommorrow. I was a bout $40 for shipping which is what I expected. But, hey they threw in a free hat at least.
    Siiiiiick!!!

  11. #11
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    I got a hold of them yesterday and I should have my cranks and sprocket tommorrow. I was a bout $40 for shipping which is what I expected. But, hey they threw in a free hat at least.
    Thats a fair price for 2 day Post some porn when you get the bike completed brofiling your new Deity cap.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chumbawrld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48
    So one of my departments forgot the BB but if I packed it personally...BB would have been there my friend. We seek perfection and sometimes come up short, but the buck does stop with me so thanks for calling me out. Let me know if I can do anything else to make the ride better. Enjoy another fantastic F5 on the mountain...and welcome...
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

  13. #13
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbawrld
    So one of my departments forgot the BB but if I packed it personally...BB would have been there my friend.
    Careful there Cowboy no one is perfect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbawrld
    We seek perfection and sometimes come up short, but the buck does stop with me so thanks for calling me out. Let me know if I can do anything else to make the ride better. Enjoy another fantastic F5 on the mountain...and welcome...
    Anything is a big word.

    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbawrld
    So one of my departments forgot the BB but if I packed it personally...BB would have been there my friend. We seek perfection and sometimes come up short, but the buck does stop with me so thanks for calling me out. Let me know if I can do anything else to make the ride better. Enjoy another fantastic F5 on the mountain...and welcome...
    Just want to clarify here, I wasn't bashing anyone. My CS experience with you guys has been top notch. Mistakes happen, no biggy.

    More porn soon. Cranks should be here today, every thing else is done.
    Team _________

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    ok, here she is. I have a different set of pedals ( atomlab aircorp in green). the bathrooms scale says 44lbs. Definitely some weight to be lost there. Parking lot test feels great. pedals good with only 3 clicks of propedal, and suspension really feels bottomless. It bunnyhops like a much smaller travel bike. It feels like it fits me really good too. Next is a white Ti fly seat, the new lighter revolution sprocket made for mrp g2's, and a Ti coil. Then we'll see about some lighter wheels. Oh, yeah I thought the front tire was a single ply, it's actually a DH.

    I'm taking it up to Diablo tommorrow for the real test/tune. I have a lot of sound deadening material on the bike, so after I ride for the day I'll be able to see how much can be removed to make it lighter.

    I wrecked really hard last night on my bottlerocket so I'll be taking it easy tommorrow, as I am in a lot of pain. We were riding DH on a new trail last night as it was getting dark. I went of a large rock jump slow thinking it was a drop only to find out mid-air that is was a double. I got a dislocated shoulder and hematoma on my hip as the price of my misjudgement.









    Team _________

  16. #16
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    [QUOTE=rollertoaster]ok, here she is. I have a different set of pedals ( atomlab aircorp in green). the bathrooms scale says 44lbs. Definitely some weight to be lost there. Parking lot test feels great. pedals good with only 3 clicks of propedal, and suspension really feels bottomless. It bunnyhops like a much smaller travel bike. It feels like it fits me really good too. Next is a white Ti fly seat, the new lighter revolution sprocket made for mrp g2's, and a Ti coil. Then we'll see about some lighter wheels. Oh, yeah I thought the front tire was a single ply, it's actually a DH.

    Dont even use the ProPedal back that thing off then turn to line one, here is a pos HAB asked about the set-up with some decent info to work with.

    DHX Tuning Tips Anyone?

    Bike is lookin awesome!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    I'm taking it up to Diablo tommorrow for the real test/tune. I have a lot of sound deadening material on the bike, so after I ride for the day I'll be able to see how much can be removed to make it lighter.

    I wrecked really hard last night on my bottlerocket so I'll be taking it easy tommorrow, as I am in a lot of pain. We were riding DH on a new trail last night as it was getting dark. I went of a large rock jump slow thinking it was a drop only to find out mid-air that is was a double. I got a dislocated shoulder and hematoma on my hip as the price of my misjudgement.
    Dank heal up bro dont push it you can do more damage, healing vibes to you.

    Check out EVS they make two awesome shoulder brace just for you, the SB02 and SB03

    http://www.evs-sports.com/ there great people.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    Thanks man. The way I look at it, I got my "good" crash out of the way already for the month or so. I'll be ok, my shoulder's a little dodgy already so a dislocation is really only painful for about one day. My hip hurts and I have some tight muscles, but it'll loosen up after a few runs.

    The only reason I have the PP on is, I heard the f5 pedals poorly. I don't know where that info came from but, I'd have to disagree.
    Team _________

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    ok, here she is. I have a different set of pedals ( atomlab aircorp in green). the bathrooms scale says 44lbs. Definitely some weight to be lost there. Parking lot test feels great. pedals good with only 3 clicks of propedal, and suspension really feels bottomless.
    def some weight to lose..

    with heavy wheels, and tubes, coil front and rear, and the floater.


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    yeah, I kinda get the feeling my scale is lying to make me speed more money. I need to get an actual bike scale.
    Team _________

  20. #20
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    Thanks man. The way I look at it, I got my "good" crash out of the way already for the month or so. I'll be ok, my shoulder's a little dodgy already so a dislocation is really only painful for about one day. My hip hurts and I have some tight muscles, but it'll loosen up after a few runs.

    The only reason I have the PP on is, I heard the f5 pedals poorly. I don't know where that info came from but, I'd have to disagree.
    Would still highly recommend the shoulder brace especially if it's a existing issue, each time you injure it it gets weaker. Im five O and have done BMX, ATV's, Moto, Skate Boarding etc and it hurts nowadays so braces have become a part of riding for the last 6 years.

    Try it with the PP backed off the shock damping can handle whatever you hammer on it. If your hitting up steep descent the PP is worthless, if your ripping some sweet descents on trails then first line is good. After that is descends rough but does eliminate most of the BoB. Air set-up, bottom out, compression are where you should work on set-up.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    Got home from Diablo a little bit ago, and I had a blast. I took 2 bikes as I usually do, didn't even ride my Bottlerocket. It sat chained to the fence all day like a scolded dog.

    I had a couple issues with the F5 that I had to get figured out. My first time riding the bike so it was expected. first, the chain runs really close to the swingarm even with a 38t. It took a little more velcro than I had anticipated to quiet it down, but now it is pretty much silent though even the roughest stuff. I was having a little problem with the chain getting sucked in between the tire and the swingarm. I adjusted the chainline out about 4mm and problem solved.

    I thought I'd be spending the day tinkering with my suspension but I didn't even touch it. I dialed in about 3 clicks of compression on the fork and took it for a spin. I had already set the rear shock during my parking lot test yesterday and was pretty satisfied with it. I'm sure I bottomed the rear out a few times but I never felt it.

    I was faster than ever before today. That's saying something, because I was riding injured. I couldn't pedal full force or pull up hard on the bars due to a little mishap the other night. The bike corners extremely well, and jumps well too. It's very flickable and easy to pump speed out of things. The suspension pretty much feels bottomless, and it pedals well without any noticeable bob. It brakes very well and maintains a fully active suspension when braking.

    I do have one gripe. the brake caliper pivot twists to the side when braking, causing a loud hum, and a little vibration. I tried switching the brake arm to the other side of the pivot, and it didn't noticeably improve. This twisting is due to the use of a normal cartridge bearing in the brake pivot. cartridge bearings do not perform well for side to side loads. Once I find out the size dimensions of the bearing I will source a needle bearing unit out to replace the regular one.

    All in all. It's quiet, fast, plush and pedals good, what more can you ask for. I love this bike! I can't wait to race next year.
    Team _________

  22. #22
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    Got home from Diablo a little bit ago, and I had a blast. I took 2 bikes as I usually do, didn't even ride my Bottlerocket. It sat chained to the fence all day like a scolded dog.

    I had a couple issues with the F5 that I had to get figured out. My first time riding the bike so it was expected. first, the chain runs really close to the swingarm even with a 38t. It took a little more velcro than I had anticipated to quiet it down, but now it is pretty much silent though even the roughest stuff. I was having a little problem with the chain getting sucked in between the tire and the swingarm. I adjusted the chainline out about 4mm and problem solved.

    I thought I'd be spending the day tinkering with my suspension but I didn't even touch it. I dialed in about 3 clicks of compression on the fork and took it for a spin. I had already set the rear shock during my parking lot test yesterday and was pretty satisfied with it. I'm sure I bottomed the rear out a few times but I never felt it.

    I was faster than ever before today. That's saying something, because I was riding injured. I couldn't pedal full force or pull up hard on the bars due to a little mishap the other night. The bike corners extremely well, and jumps well too. It's very flickable and easy to pump speed out of things. The suspension pretty much feels bottomless, and it pedals well without any noticeable bob. It brakes very well and maintains a fully active suspension when braking.

    I do have one gripe. the brake caliper pivot twists to the side when braking, causing a loud hum, and a little vibration. I tried switching the brake arm to the other side of the pivot, and it didn't noticeably improve. This twisting is due to the use of a normal cartridge bearing in the brake pivot. cartridge bearings do not perform well for side to side loads. Once I find out the size dimensions of the bearing I will source a needle bearing unit out to replace the regular one.

    All in all. It's quiet, fast, plush and pedals good, what more can you ask for. I love this bike! I can't wait to race next year.
    Yea dude... I run a 40T and that fixed all my issues with the chain and the swingarm, though i still outspin myself every once in a while with the 40T on so i thought whatever... XD

    Nice to see you're enjoying yourself on the F5. Totally understand all that you've mentioned in your post. I feel the exact same way about my F5. Especially in the corners... It's just unreal...

    About the floater bearing, lemme know when you find one... I'd be interested in getting one as well... XD And yupp, as stoked as you are... In fact, i'm doing the Livewire race tomorrow at Northstar...

  23. #23
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    Got home from Diablo a little bit ago, and I had a blast. I took 2 bikes as I usually do, didn't even ride my Bottlerocket. It sat chained to the fence all day like a scolded dog.




    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    I do have one gripe. the brake caliper pivot twists to the side when braking, causing a loud hum, and a little vibration. I tried switching the brake arm to the other side of the pivot, and it didn't noticeably improve. This twisting is due to the use of a normal cartridge bearing in the brake pivot. cartridge bearings do not perform well for side to side loads. Once I find out the size dimensions of the bearing I will source a needle bearing unit out to replace the regular one.
    It's called a Heim Joint and is designed to even out the load on the rod so there is no unneeded torquing.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_end_bearing

    http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../bldef-187.htm

    You dont want needle bearings there.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    acually, I was refferring to the bearing that the axle goes through. Not the heim joint on the rod. I might try using a higher quality cartridge bearing instead of needle bearing, Whatever I use it has to support a higher axial load than the standard bearing.

    also, if anyone is having noise issues with the actually heim joints, put a nitrile o-ring behind the joint and retorque the bolt. It's will take up the slop in the joint and eliminate any noise.
    Team _________

  25. #25
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Just went out and checked mrperc's and can feel what you are talking about. If that is a cartridge bearing it's really poor quality which I dont see how Chumba would let it out that way. My guess would be its a design like the Heim, I did a search and couldnt find any pics to get a better idea what they have going there, I'm sure Chumba has a explanation with show N tell for all of us.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chumbawrld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48
    Great build. Anything is a big word and I wish you guys could only see what Chumba Racing has in store for you in the months to come. So many bikes, parts, improvements and modifications. It's all thanks to your input so keep it coming and we'll keep producing...
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    66
    yeah my rear brake definitely makes some nasty noises too. I just thought it was a set-up issue. I'm only running a 36 and have to run a couple layers of velcro to shut it up.

  28. #28
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    It's only a little noise... just stay off the brakes... XD

    Quote Originally Posted by Connor
    yeah my rear brake definitely makes some nasty noises too. I just thought it was a set-up issue. I'm only running a 36 and have to run a couple layers of velcro to shut it up.
    Run a 40T... It'll give you a better chainline and fix all your woes... Besides, with the F5, you're going so much faster anyways. The 40T is totally warranted...

    As for a chainstay protector thingie... I used road bar tape and electrical tape at the ends. Made it nice and quiet, and it looks bling!!!


  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chumbawrld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48

    Nice ride

    Poh...sweet build and great attitude...if you have a question on any set up issue, call us at 714.986.9100. Someone will most likely answer other than Sat evening to Sunday evening. Rest of the time we are there to answer your questions and satisfy your needs.
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

  30. #30
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chumbawrld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48

    dialing in the floating brake

    Being sure that all bolts are tight on the dog bone and that the bushing or bearing kit is also tight is important. We found that being sure both pads on the caliper make contact with the Rotor at the same time also can cut down on vibration. We continue to work on modifications to the floating brake and other new parts for the F5 and thank you for your comments as only through your feedback do we improve our products. I look forward to meeting with you guys in SF so we can go over some of the changes we are making and to gather further input from you. We are aware of these issues and have many modifications in the works so thank you again and feel free to contact us with any further ideas.
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

  32. #32
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbawrld
    Poh...sweet build and great attitude...if you have a question on any set up issue, call us at 714.986.9100. Someone will most likely answer other than Sat evening to Sunday evening. Rest of the time we are there to answer your questions and satisfy your needs.
    Thanx Walter... the bike did awesome today at the race... Still need to thinker a little bit with my suspension setup, but dang is it dialed... A little pissed though. I chose to style out on the jumps for the cameras... Only to find i was 2 seconds away from podium in my class...

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chumbawrld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48

    Congrats...

    Poh...that is great news. Congratulations. It's been great watching your progress from our end. Keep up the good work. I look forward to this weekend.
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    I'm gonna double check all the dogbone bolts tonight. I'm also gonna adjust the caliper a little against the direction of twisting, so when it engages it will still be straight with the rotor.
    I wish I would have gotten this bike sooner, I would have actually done some races this year. I ride with a couple pro-riders pretty often, and now I can keep up with them. Amazing what the proper equipment can do for your riding!
    Has anyone tested out a VIVID on the F5 yet? My buddy has one that I might try out. I think I need some more time to get used to the bike with the DHX first though.
    Team _________

  35. #35
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    I'm gonna double check all the dogbone bolts tonight. I'm also gonna adjust the caliper a little against the direction of twisting, so when it engages it will still be straight with the rotor.
    I wish I would have gotten this bike sooner, I would have actually done some races this year. I ride with a couple pro-riders pretty often, and now I can keep up with them. Amazing what the proper equipment can do for your riding!
    Has anyone tested out a VIVID on the F5 yet? My buddy has one that I might try out. I think I need some more time to get used to the bike with the DHX first though.
    I have been torn between the Vivid and the Revox for the F5 or even the ISX6... But the DHX5 is working pretty well, it's hard to justify a new shock especially seeing that i'm going to need new tyres soon and the new 2010 Boxxer will be released in a few months...

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    Yeah, I won't have to pay much for the vivid, if anything at all. all I'll have to do is put my dhx on his frame b/c it's going up for sale soon. I sure would like one of those 2010 boxxers mmmmmm.... I'm gonna have to settle for my friend's boxxer wc when he gets his 2010. Again not for too much$ and I need to lose that heavy 888. I can't wait to ride this thing again, I'm going out to seven springs PA this weekend. I think I'll bring it even though the trails are pretty smooth, I hear.

    anyway, I checked the dogbone bolts and they were still tight. I'm waiting for my new code pads to come on wed. Hopefully they won't vibrate as bad, but that still doesn't solve my problem of the caliper twisting. I need to get around to finding the specs on the bearing so I can find a better suited replacement.
    Team _________

  37. #37
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    Yeah, I won't have to pay much for the vivid, if anything at all. all I'll have to do is put my dhx on his frame b/c it's going up for sale soon. I sure would like one of those 2010 boxxers mmmmmm.... I'm gonna have to settle for my friend's boxxer wc when he gets his 2010. Again not for too much$ and I need to lose that heavy 888. I can't wait to ride this thing again, I'm going out to seven springs PA this weekend. I think I'll bring it even though the trails are pretty smooth, I hear.

    anyway, I checked the dogbone bolts and they were still tight. I'm waiting for my new code pads to come on wed. Hopefully they won't vibrate as bad, but that still doesn't solve my problem of the caliper twisting. I need to get around to finding the specs on the bearing so I can find a better suited replacement.
    sounds like you got things figured out... sweet!!! i'm gonna be watching your build closely... I'm sure i'll learn something... XD

    I really wouldnt worry about the sound... I dunno why, but mine stopped doing it at Northstar yesterday... Either that or i'm getting used to it... lols

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    it's not the noise that bothers me. It's the uneven pad wear and vibration that comes with it. The vibration is actually quite strong and it's not a good feeling if you're sitting, if you know what I mean.
    Team _________

  39. #39
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    it's not the noise that bothers me. It's the uneven pad wear and vibration that comes with it. The vibration is actually quite strong and it's not a good feeling if you're sitting, if you know what I mean.
    Hmmmmm... i dunno. I had what you were referring to before but it kinda dissappeared already... Cant remember what i did... lols... Give Walter a call... he'll get you taken cared of...

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    I'm not in a big rush. I have all winter to get it figured out. I had just figured I would do a race here and there when I picked the frame. But, after riding it with a couple regular racers, I'll be doing more racing than I thought. As it turns out I'm a lot faster than I thought.
    Team _________

  41. #41
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    I'm not in a big rush. I have all winter to get it figured out. I had just figured I would do a race here and there when I picked the frame. But, after riding it with a couple regular racers, I'll be doing more racing than I thought. As it turns out I'm a lot faster than I thought.
    Congratz on your new found powerz, and take care of that shoulder.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  42. #42
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    I'm not in a big rush. I have all winter to get it figured out. I had just figured I would do a race here and there when I picked the frame. But, after riding it with a couple regular racers, I'll be doing more racing than I thought. As it turns out I'm a lot faster than I thought.
    Trooper

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    Just wanted to give an update on the F5. my F'ed up x9 wouldn't go into 9th gear consistantly. The spring tension isn't high enough to pull it all the way back ever since I crash on it earlier in the season. So, I swapped it onto my DJ/XC bike and put an XO on the F5.
    I checked everything I can think of for the floating brake. locktited all the bolts, put new organic pads in the codes, and corrected a spacing issue with the rotor/caliper mount. still squealing! Then, I removed the floating pivot and got the model # off of the bearing, I also noticed the bearing wasn't fully seated in the bore. I pressed it the rest of the way back in and it didn't take very much pressure. I wonder if that's where the noise is coming from? We'll see.

    Today I ordered an abec7 ceramic bearing to replace the stock one. It ran about $40 with shipping.
    the size of the bearing is:
    stock no was 6001 rs
    6001 12x8x28

    ordered a
    6001-2RS Bearing 12x28x8 Si3N4 Ceramic:Stainless:Sealed:ABEC-7
    from vxb bearings
    Apparently there are no needle or cylindrical roller bearings made in that size.

    we'll see if this fixes it. If it is as easy to press in as the current one I'll use some bearing locker on it to keep it anchored.
    Team _________

  44. #44
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Double check the alignment before LockTighting the bearing in just in case the hole is too deep and the bearing was relaxing where it lined up properly.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •