Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008

Vikingboy's Lapierre Spicy build thread

Having got back into cycling with a Titus Motolite last year I've found I spent a fair amount of time riding more AM than XC and although my Motolite has been adapted to a more AM style of riding with a shorter stem , wider bars, bigger tyres and so on it started to feel a bit out of its depth with some of the riding I was subjecting it to. It felt like time to put the Motolite back to what its awesome at, i.e XC riding and build up a more hardcore bike which can still travel some distances without killing me but will also be able to cope with more aggressive riding style.
    I came across a Lapierre Spicy frame for a bargain price and thought it would make a good foundation for a cheap AM machine. Lapierre don't import these into the US because of the patent issues over the suspension design.

I'll try to keep this thread updated as a kind of blog as I build the bike up and start to enjoy my time with it.

This is the current parts list which Im waiting on arriving.

Frame : Lapierre Spicy Alloy SL Hydroformed / OST 160mm
    Shock absorber : Fox Float RP2
    Fork : Rockshox 2010 Lyrik Coil Mission Control DH 160mm
    Headset : Cane Creek 110 Semi-Integrated Cartridge
    Bottom Bracket : XTR Press fit
    Crank : Shimano XTR
    Chain Device: e13 LG1+
    Chain Ring: e13 Guidering 34T
    Chain: Shimano Yumeya
    Pedals: Straitline SC
    Stem : FRS Pro 31,8x50mm 136g (confirmed)
    Seatpost : Thomson Masterpiece 31.6X367mm Black
    Handlesbars : Easton Monkeylite 2010 DH, 31.8 / 711mm
    Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-ons
    Rear derailleur : Sram X0 super short cage
    Gear Cable: Shimano Yumeya
    Brakes : 2009 Formula The One 180/180 with sintered pads
    Shifter : Sram X0
    Saddle : SDG Fly-Ti
    Wheel : Mavic Crossmax SX (20mm front axle, 10mm rear)
    Sprocket : Shimano XTR 9S 11X34
    Tires : Maxxis High Roller LUST 26x2.35

Weight : TBC (anyone want to have a guess?

Will post back with pics as the build starts to come together.

Edit 30Dec09 - Stem weight confirmed.
    Last edited by vikingboy; 12-30-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Bikes finally built, some pics of the finished ride.

Final part list as follows:-

Frame Lapierre Spicy 516 '09
    Fork Rockshox Lyrik Coil DH
    Brakes Formula The One (180/180)
    Crank Shimano XTR arms & spindle 175mm
    Chainring E13 Guidering (34T)
    Chainring bolts Aluminium * 4
    Chaingide E13 LG1+
    Bottom Bracket BB86 press fit XTR
    Cassette XTR 11-34
    Chain Shimano Yumeya
    Rear Derailleur Sram X0 Short cage
    Gear cables Shimano Yumeya outer, Sram 1.1mm inner
    Shifter Sram X0
    Pedals Point1 Podiums
    Headset Cane Creek 110
    Stem FRS Pro
    Handlebars Easton Monkeylite DH
    Grips ODI Ruffian
    Seatpost Thomson Masterpiece
    Seatpost clamp Lapierre QR
    Saddle SDG Fly Ti
    Front Wheel Crossmax SX '09
    Front Tyre Maxxis High Roller LUST 2.35
    Rear Wheel Crossmax SX '09
    Rear Tyre Maxxis High Roller LUST 2.35

Ride report coming soon!

g3h6o3
    Whoa, what's with the halo in those pictures???

Running your brakes moto-style, huh? Your rear brake line looks twisted.
    Why did you remove the carbon rear derailleur protector? It's one of the nicest touch of the Lapierre lineup if you ask me...

Go ride it and report!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I like those pedals! I hope you're joking when you say this is "a cheap AM machine"...

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    The halo effect - it was the wifes point and shoot digital camera and something is obviously not set right on it. Ill have a fiddle and see if I can fix it.
    The carbon protector doesnt work with Sram derailleurs as they sit differently to Shimano ones. TBH, I dont think it would do much to deflect a hit that would take out the mech, I could be wrong though.
    ilikebike....yeah, it started out as a cheap build that ended up not being so cheap. The pedals are superb though, Im very impressed, light, wide, low profile and grippy as hell.

g3h6o3
    Good to know the deflector doesn't work too well with SRAM stuff although I'm sold to Shimano for rear mechs
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hey, hey spotted ur sig. wouldnt a pointone stem be lighter?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Its interesting, the Thomson 50mm is 179g, the Pro FRS 136g (all standard bolts) and the Point one comes in at the same sort of weight as the pro FRS - so $35 vs $135 for 2-3g saving......? I cheaped out where I could! LOL

Heres a thread comparing here....
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...ro+frs#p602324

In all honesty though, Im so impressed with the pedals from Point1 I might give the stem a whirl anyway.The integral top cap is nice so long as you dont need extra steerer length that is.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    After a great relationship with my R1s on my Motolite, and a similar love for the 2009 The Ones which I purchased whilst the R1s were off at Formula having their seals replaced, I decided to try the 2010 The Ones which offer a MC style much like the R1 at the cost of the FCS.

The 2010 Ones arrived this morning and have been fitted titanium bolts and Goodridge hoses.

No ride report as of yet (other than a quick scoot down the drive and a pull on the lever to check they were working fine. Initial comments feel like bleeding is much easier now due to the position of the MC bleed valve.
    The lever feel is more like the R1s and seems to run further from the bar than the 09 models which may contribute to more "arm pump" fatigue. The plus side is the lever feels far more positive and doesnt seem to change in throw like some people reported.

Will get some time on them this weekend hopefully.

2009 vs 2010 weights are in this post >>>here<<<

May contain nuts
    Sweet ride.
    Looks like the Spicy has a long TT. Is that a large? How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Its a large, 50cm frame.

Your height

Spicy
    4ft 11 - 5ft 6

5ft 5 - 5ft 11

5ft 9 - 6ft 3

I'm 6'1 and it feel fine, certainly not too reachy but I like short stems (50mm fitted).

mtbr member
    Very nice!

What weight's it coming in at?

Currently wating on a 2010 Spicy 316 to arrive. Can't wait to get a rip on it!

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    So the Double barrel arrived this morning and it was only a ten minute job to remove the standard air can and fit the Db in its place. Mounting hardware ensured it just dropped straight into place. My DB is running a 500lb titanium spring set up for the recommended 30% sag which is a good few % greater than the standard Spicy’s RP2. I wanted to ride the shock as standard first to get a feel for it before I started messing around with it so left it at default settings as it shipped from Cane Creek.

Immediately noticeable before I had even left the car park today was how smooth the shock felt, the rear end feeling like it was riding on a cushion of air, far less trail noise was felt through the rear end whilst at the same time feeling more planted. Pedal bob was non-existent and the bikes ability to pick up speed quickly when sprinting was exemplary. Moving further into today’s ride it surprised me how the shock could feel firm, but at the same time still feeling incredibly plush. The traction from the rear end really gave me the confidence to really push the bike harder than ever before down the singletrack runs. Hitting some jumps and drops up to about 6ft highlighted a bottomless feeling even though the shock indicated I had bottomed it out, there was certainly never any feeling of being bucked or any noise to indicate the shock had reached its maximum compression.

It’s pretty obvious from the first couple of hours spent with this shock that its far more proficient that the standard RP2 and really feels like its elevated the Spicys already admirable performance to another level. I didn’t weigh the DB so can’t comment on how much weight the move from the RP2 added but it wasn’t noticeable whilst riding.

I’ll try and get back out tomorrow to do some tuning.....

Before ride pic....

and after....

and a close up....

moaaar shimz
    NICE!

One question though, what is the red ano ring in the seat tube?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    tacubaya: there is a scale sticker on the left chainstay and the red ring is rear shock sag indicator

vikingboy: very nice build...
    what is your weight? i'm thinking of coil shock for my spicy and spring calculator said 350lb for my 75kg...

mtbr member
    Lovely bike vikingboy!
    Just got a 316 (think you seen a pic of it on southern downhill), they're great bikes.
    Like the look of the coil shock. Being 14.5 stone myself, it's interesting to hear how the coil goes as i may look down that route at some point too.
    Last edited by AndyA; 03-28-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mar_tin
    what is your weight? i'm thinking of coil shock for my spicy and spring calculator said 350lb for my 75kg...
    100kg or circa 220lbs.
    I'm running a 500lb spring on the advice of Malcolm at Cane Creek.
    Shock occasionally bottoms out as indicated by my DIY travel indicator - but not harshly in any way and I'm definitely getting full travel on the bigger hits so think its about spot on.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyA
    Lovely bike vikingboy!
    Just got a 316 (think you seen a pic of it on southern downhill), they're great bikes.
    Like the look of the coil shock. Being 14.5 stone myself, it's interesting to here how the coil goes as i may look down that route at some point too.
    Hey Andy.
    My immediate feeling is the coil shock is a significant step up in performance - the tyre grip on roots, rocks, sloppy mud is noticeably increased plus the fact it now uses the travel much more effectively than my old air shock which just blasted through the mid stroke.
    When I get a second I'll get the air shock pushed and see how close it can get to the performance on the coil - I'd be interested to know now I've sampled a good coil.
    The more I ride the Spicy the more I really appreciate just how good a platform it is to build upon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy
    Hey Andy.
    My immediate feeling is the coil shock is a significant step up in performance - the tyre grip on roots, rocks, sloppy mud is noticeably increased plus the fact it now uses the travel much more effectively than my old air shock which just blasted through the mid stroke.
    When I get a second I'll get the air shock pushed and see how close it can get to the performance on the coil - I'd be interested to know now I've sampled a good coil.
    The more I ride the Spicy the more I really appreciate just how good a platform it is to build upon.
    Cool, would be good to hear how the pushed air shock compares.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Hi

HI Vikingboy! May i know where did yu got your E13 guide ring?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Chain reaction do them but loads of others too.
    Popular sizes sell out frequently it seems though so shop around if they don't gave in stock

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Vikingboy, that's a nice rig indeed - a lot of thought, time and mula went into the build i'm sure.

A quick question regarding your rear derailleur - as it is a short cage, do you have any problems shifting and riding, particularly at either the high and/or end of your gear range? Also, does your E13 make any significant noise at these gear extremities?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Zero issues with shifting anywhere on cassette.
    SRAM short cage x0 works excellently with SRAM cable, yumeya housing and x0 trigger.
    I use xtr cassette and yumeya chain if any of that matters which I doubt.

mtbr member
    Hey vikingboy, how much sag are you running with the coil shock? I've got a dhx coil on mine now and i'm just trying to find a sweet spot reguarding sag. TFtuned and Mojo calculators seem to be suggesting in and around 500lbs spring for 28-30% sag, but having tried a 500 i'm getting nowhere near that amount of sag, its nearer 20%. Still seems to ride ok tho, so i'm wondering if around 20% sag just suits this particular bike?

Cheers

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Circa 25-28% currently. To get anymore Id have to drop the spring rate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast