mtbr member
    Jan 2008

VF2 and fork travel issues..

Hey there,

Firstly I'd like to say I've completely fallen in love with the VF2. Saw one at the lbs and the finish, detail, engineering is freaking awesome.

I know the VF2 is designed for forks between 120 - 150mm, however I've got a RS reba lying around in my garage that I'd like to use with this frame. I think (i hope) I am able to tweak travel on the reba and bump it up to 115.

Now my question is, will this 5mm deficit in suggested fork travel signifantly and adversely affect performance of this baby? Also, what would the resultant head angle be if I used such a fork ? And how would that also affect the rear shock ? What kind of handling can I expect if i went ahead and built it up as such ?

Appreciate any reply thanks !

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

A RS REBA at 115mm is Similar to a Fox at 120mm

Their A2C should be similar at that range so i would say you are at the botom of the scale.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Dude, you are talking about 5 mm. That's a touch over 3/16" I doubt you would affect anything by that little. Throw that Reba on there and forget about it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    hey thanks for the replies guys! Appreciate it.

Yeah before anyone thinks i'm a nut for obsessing over a miniscule 5mm discrepency in fork travel, let me clarify matters yeah. I know 5mm is probably a very small number, but instead of assuming, I just wanted to get some clarification ? I'm no engineer, and I hated math and physics, so i figured I'd let someone else better qualified than me make the decision.

Also, my other queries about ride handling, and shock performance and blah blah blah, are based on the assumption that a 115mm fork is more or less equivalent to a 120mm fork. Since most of the reviews, and even the frame geometry posted on chumba's website was based on a 140mm fork, I wanted to know what fitting a 120mm fork would do to the VF2 and what can i expect from it ?

nerfherder
    With a shorter fork I think you could expect a steeper head angle and shorter wheelbase. That would translate into a very agile handler but at the tradeoff of some loss of stability at speed, twitchiness, and a more weight forward bias to the ride. In essence, I think it'd be more XC Race and less trail bike.

This is my estimation and subject to validation by the Chumba guys or other internet know-it-alls.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by darrencw
    hey thanks for the replies guys! Appreciate it.

Yeah before anyone thinks i'm a nut for obsessing over a miniscule 5mm discrepency in fork travel, let me clarify matters yeah. I know 5mm is probably a very small number, but instead of assuming, I just wanted to get some clarification ? I'm no engineer, and I hated math and physics, so i figured I'd let someone else better qualified than me make the decision.

Also, my other queries about ride handling, and shock performance and blah blah blah, are based on the assumption that a 115mm fork is more or less equivalent to a 120mm fork. Since most of the reviews, and even the frame geometry posted on chumba's website was based on a 140mm fork, I wanted to know what fitting a 120mm fork would do to the VF2 and what can i expect from it ?
    Basically what Scruffy said - you would experience a steepened head angle, slightly lower BB, and shorter wheelbase - more XC oriented - if that's what your going after. The VF2 is pretty versatile - and works well even with a Fox 36 - so it's really personal preference - and you can always try out different forks if you are not satisfied with your initial choice.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sweet.. yeah my intention is actually to build up a lightish marathon race bike, yet with the versatility of taking a bigger hitting fork for extended trail days since i've got a pike on my hardtail that I could swap over when the need arises.

Anyone knows or can calculate the wheebase, seat tube angle and head angle should i fit on a 120mm fork ?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by darrencw
    Sweet.. yeah my intention is actually to build up a lightish marathon race bike, yet with the versatility of taking a bigger hitting fork for extended trail days since i've got a pike on my hardtail that I could swap over when the need arises.

Anyone knows or can calculate the wheebase, seat tube angle and head angle should i fit on a 120mm fork ?
    You can build it with a Fox Talas 32 - with the right components it can be as light as 25lbs.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    25lbs ?? thats mighty impressive.. and to think I was wondering if 27lbs was too much to ask for.. Thanks pal.