mtbr member

Two XCL questions: Sag, and brake mount?

Ok, just got my XCL with rp23-- what's thee rule of thumb for setting up the rear shock?

and, is the disc brake mount on the rear an "IS" type? Looks like these shimano xt brakes arent going to work... ( new 08's) unless i get an adapter?

mtbr member
    Yes, the rear is I.S. mount.

I'm running about 35 lbs less than my body weight for the rear shock. I don't do huge drops (2-3 foot and the occasional small set of stairs) but I like my suspension to feel plush. For the most part I normally run the o-ring to the end of the shock shaft every ride. IMO you should set up the shock so it bottoms out at least once on the biggest hit or drop on your trail without bottoming too harshly. Then again, I come from a moto background and that's how you normally setup a MX/Supercross bike. If you're looking for sag measurements then 30-35mm should be in the ballpark.

One thing I learned with the XCL is that there are many things that throw off the "plushness" factor. I was all over the board trying to set the bike up plush at first but wasn't getting the results I wanted. When I first built the bike I was using a standard XT rear derailleur and was getting a bunch of noise from it slapping the chain stay. When I switched to a XT Shadow derailleur the lack of noise enabled me to actually concentrate on how the rear end was working. From there I was able to dial in the rear to were I'm quite happy. I had an issue with the front end (Fox Float RLC 120) being harsh as well. I switched from an Answer ProTaper carbon bar to a Race Face Next XC carbon bar and now the front end is perfect.

In the end it took some time and careful tuning to get the bike where I wanted it. However, now I'm totally stoked on the ride!

mtbr member
    You can always contact our head tech Matt at the Factory Monday-Friday during reg. biz hours to get dialed in a bit more.
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorep
    MX/Supercross bike. If you're looking for sag measurements then 30-35mm should be in the ballpark.
    That doesn't sound right. 30mm is over an inch.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cajonezzz
    Ok, just got my XCL with rp23-- what's thee rule of thumb for setting up the rear shock?

and, is the disc brake mount on the rear an "IS" type? Looks like these shimano xt brakes arent going to work... ( new 08's) unless i get an adapter?
    If you weigh less than 155lbs your going to have a hard time getting the RP23 to work correctly. The Chumba spec for the RP 23 is for fat ass guys, I couldn't get the damping to move quick enough for my weight so I sent it to Fox and they basically told me the shock was fine, maybe I should have it tuned, PHOOOCK that. Sold the shock on eBay and have been running a Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 that kicks ass.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Yep, you're right! I was thinking fork sag. I'm currently sitting at 18mm of shock sag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    That doesn't sound right. 30mm is over an inch.

Ugly Knees
    Oct 2006

RP23 works fine for me...

I'm 125 lbs and my RP23 works just fine. I run 105 lbs and have no complaints. It took a couple of rides to dial it in, but after that, smooth sailing.

But I will agree with Rivet that a lot of these shocks and forks are not made for people who weigh less. We're probably eventually going to be sending my fox talas to be pushed (when I have the $$ and time to be away from my bike). I have to run 50 lbs to get the appropriate sag (not below the manufacturer recommend) but in running that low a pressure the fork doesn't automatically extend when I dial it out. Not a big deal though, the fork is still just as smooth as it needs to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajonezzz
    Your brakeset should come with some sort of adapter. There aren't many rear Post Mount frames out there, so most will come with some sort of IS adapter - at least all of the sets I have came with them.